Hello!

I recently bought a used bold 9900 in Germany. Frankly spoken, I bought it for the design, and thought I could use it for texting, calls, email, and basic organizer features. Most of it works fine, yet I'm not able so set-up my email accounts. As a newbie to the Blackberry world, I really need your help with this topic. I'm afraid, I bought a wrong device in a rush.

I use only IMAP and a single Exchange account from work (without Blackberry enterprise infrastructure attached). However, when I try to enable mail via the "setup" dialog (setup > email accounts), it is only available option is the "the enterprise account activation"; I cannot activate any other types of accounts. I did some research on the internet and (I'm not sure if I get this right) it appears that the feature is blocked for some devices by the carrier. However, the device has no SIM-lock or (as far as I can see) branding. Can anyone help me with this? Did I buy the wrong device, or is a non-business usage of Blackberry devices not recommended?

There is another issue with the device: I cannot update to OS7.1, it is stuck with 7.0 - again it appears that some carriers block updates. It the information correct? Is there any way to unlock the functions (without knowing the carriers since I bought a used device).

Currently I'm using "logicMail" as proposed multiple times in this forum to replace the native mail application. The software is decent, still there is no exchange implementation. Furthermore, I found "Email ++" on Blackberry world, but it appears to be an addon for the native app - such that it would not help me, right?

Thank you for all answers and your help. I'm really confused right now and disappointed that I apparently wasted money on a locked device.
    Best wishes,
    Joe.
    01-05-14 10:23 AM
    Do you have a BlackBerry data plan from your carrier? A lot of things will function on a BlackBerry with a basic data plan but in order to get email you need a specific BlackBerry plan on BlackBerry OS devices.
    01-05-14 11:03 AM
    As said above, you need a BlackBerry data plan from your carrier so get in touch with them and let them know you need BlackBerry Internet Service enabled on your account (they might charge you more for this).

Once you have this you will be 'allowed' to upgrade to OS 7.1 but you can also upgrade manually by downloading the software and using the loader software, see the sticky thread for 7.1.1098 for O2
    01-06-14 01:34 AM
    with most carriers, it is called 'BlackBerry Option', and it needs to be activated. depending on your carrier, additional charges may apply (usually ~5/month).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-06-14 04:37 AM