An un-named source, (I don't know why it matters...) told me, after I complained SEVERAL times that my new Bold was WAY slower than my 2 year old Curve for browser actions and viewing PDF attachements, RIM has a software glitch in both .699 and .732 which causes the Mobile Network to be dropped and re-connected (mostly just searching for connection) at random times. On my phone, it was almost all the time, so battery life sucked and google wouldn't even load after five minutes. Constantly trying to search for a signal really slowed down the phone and made working on the phone impossible.

RIM's official work around until they release the new OS, "which should be coming real soon...", is to go to the manage connections button, turn off the mobile network, wait for red x, then turn mobile network back on.

I say F-that. I don't have time to screw around with settings on the phone so I can use it. I just need it to work, yet I got the Bold for free due to the perfect storm of upgrades and sales at VZW along with a free phone for the wife. So in a drawer goes the new Bold, and out comes the trusty old Curve. What a difference when you have a connection to the network!!! Duh...RIM, get it together NOW and get the "glitch" fixed, please.

Just to be clear, this is just my experience and what I heard, I have not spoken with RIM or anyone close to RIM. I did see the problem in action on two brand new Bolds.

Technology is such a double edge sword. Just like heated seats in a car, once you have them, you'll never buy a car without them again.
    06-26-10 08:13 AM
    Have not seen any of the problems you mentioned. I too came from a two year old Curve and my Bold is much faster with and without WiFi. No problems with browser loading or speed (on .699 or now with .732).
    06-26-10 08:58 AM
    Have not seen any of the problems you mentioned. I too came from a two year old Curve and my Bold is much faster with and without WiFi. No problems with browser loading or speed (on .699 or now with .732).
    I agree completely and my new Bold is measurably faster browsing than my recent Tour even when not on wifi, which I would have doubted until I actually tried them side by side in several different situations and even against other Tours that we own. It is not even close against any prior BBs that we have owned over the last several years including almost every model ever sold on VZW. My Bold came loaded with .699 which was fast, but .732 is again even slightly faster to me. With WiFi turned on at work or home, there is no contest, it is even faster and always stays connected just like my browser does on the mobile network. I view .PDFs all the time with no problems. This is the first I have heard anyone even hint that there was any software "glitch" that would cause any problems like these. Try wiping phone with BBSAK and re-loading OS .732 fresh to see if that helps. Maybe either you don't have a good signal (or interference) where you are located, some settings need to be tweaked or possibly a bad antenna in the phone?
    06-26-10 10:10 AM
    I have kind of noticed a sort of slow movin bold 9650 regarding my browser, yet this was before i decided to just use my wifi at work and at home. I'm going to look into this more. .732 was just a Bad OS all around I'm noticing. Any news on when the new OS is rollin out?
    06-26-10 10:40 AM
    ive noticed my out of date tour seems to not have as many connection issues as my bold does. im not totally impressed with the bold so far
    06-26-10 05:30 PM
    I couldn't agree more. Bold is faster than my Tour, Storm and Storm2. Sounds like the OP needs to wipe and reload the OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-10 05:59 PM
    Interesting that this source didn't know that .699 and .732 weren't the only OSes released...

If your source is accurate, install .621 and the problem no longer exists...

06-26-10 06:41 PM
    Bold is a huge improvement if you have poor cell signal but wifi access!
    06-29-10 12:47 PM
    Interesting that this source didn't know that .699 and .732 weren't the only OSes released...

If your source is accurate, install .621 and the problem no longer exists...

Where does one find .621. My Bold came with .732 and the Sprint .699 is available.
    06-29-10 03:50 PM
    The same place you get Sprint's .699
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...2B33CFB7.node2
    06-29-10 03:52 PM
    Sounds familiar! 9630/5.0.0.732 data not so good these days.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/sig...5-bars-484066/

06-29-10 04:10 PM
    well, i have certainly seen more signal fluctuations and occasional loss of data network with the 9650 than i ever did with the 8330... but certainly not to the extent i am gonna toss it in the drawer and bring out the curve...
    06-29-10 04:12 PM
    My internet speed is comparable to nextels 8350. Pages take a long time to come up. Even the mobile sites. This is my 3rd bold and signal and battery terrible on all 3. Tried .732 n that os was not so good. I'm on sprint. Track pad isn't crooked on 3rd but still has small slant. That's least of my concerns.

Last edited by juttin3; 06-29-10 at 04:35 PM.
    06-29-10 04:23 PM
    I notice that my Bold is a bit slow when going to the Internet (with or without Wi-Fi), and my battery performance SUCKS. Might there be value in wiping my device and reloading? If this is a worthwhile thing to do, should I stick with .732? I've had no issues that I know of from .732 other than perhaps this one.

Thanks for any advice.
    06-29-10 04:33 PM
    Did you set the mobile network to 1XEV?
    06-29-10 04:35 PM
    Did you set the mobile network to 1XEV?
    Yup, SIM flipped too.
    06-29-10 04:45 PM
    I'd try a different radio file then, from .699 or .621
    06-29-10 04:56 PM
    I'd try a different radio file then, from .699 or .621
    That makes sense, how do I do that? I'm new enough to BB that I have yet to learn how to do those types of things.
    06-29-10 04:58 PM
    Mine was slow til I turned off the javascript. Now it's fast. It's faster than the hubby's droid in most cases.
    06-29-10 05:07 PM
    That makes sense, how do I do that? I'm new enough to BB that I have yet to learn how to do those types of things.
    This is assuming you still want to run .732 but want a different radio file. If you don't care about keeping .732, then just update the phone with whatever OS you want and it will change the radio code anyways.

- Install the OS you want the radio code from (.621 or whatever)
    - Go to the radio file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9650AMEA_v_some_os_revision\CDMA
    - Copy the .sfi file somewhere else to use it later
    - Now you can uninstall the OS/delete it
    - Install .732
    - Move the radio file in the directory of the .732 OS somewhere else (since you should save a backup copy) and replace it with the .621 or whatever .sfi file
    - Update the phone using the apploader
    Last edited by papped; 06-29-10 at 05:14 PM.
    06-29-10 05:12 PM
    This is assuming you still want to run .732 but want a different radio file. If you don't care about keeping .732, then just update the phone with whatever OS you want and it will change the radio code anyways.

- Install the OS you want the radio code from (.621 or whatever)
    - Go to the radio file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9650AMEA_v_some_os_revision\CDMA
    - Copy the .sfi file somewhere else to use it later
    - Now you can uninstall the OS/delete it
    - Install .732
    - Move the radio file in the directory of the .732 OS somewhere else (since you should save a backup copy) and replace it with the .621 or whatever .sfi file
    - Update the phone using the apploader
    Great, how do I download the OS files that I want? I tried the URL you posted above and it takes me to an error page.

Based on what I understand, my plan is to wipe my device, download/install the .621 OS and get the .sfi file.

Then I will download/install .732 with the .sfi file.

If I undetstand this correctly, I can download the .621 OS to my PC HD, get the .sfi file I want, then download the .732 OS that I plan to install and replace the .sfi file and then install on my device. Do I have this right?
    06-29-10 05:55 PM
    You can get the Sprint OSes from the Sprint LP blackberry download page

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...BB765225CE8C0E

Yeah, you get the .sfi from the OS you want, install the OS you want to install (.732 I assume) and replace the radio file from the one from the other OS. Then install to your device.
    06-29-10 06:20 PM
    You can get the Sprint OSes from the Sprint LP blackberry download page

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...BB765225CE8C0E

Yeah, you get the .sfi from the OS you want, install the OS you want to install (.732 I assume) and replace the radio file from the one from the other OS. Then install to your device.
    Thanks, I'm downloading .621 as we speak. Do you know how I can download .732? I guess it is a verizon page.
    06-29-10 06:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD