IPhone and Android posters, regardless of app this or app that, the main and truly the only flaw BB had was it's lesser capable browser, screen and camera, there was no other question about the OS and the phone capabilities or features. Browser, screen, camera, that was it.

Well now BB as of next month will have a better faster more fluid browser along with a wonderful screen and HD recording.

The words "Pfffttttt, mine is better" will follow many comments made by the owners of the next gen BB phones about to be unleashed any week now.

07-21-11 04:26 PM
    With all due respect, I don't much blame you. The current 3rd party applications for BlackBerry devices pale in comparison to those of iOS devices. I've deleted many I had on BB too because they're just not that good. The iOS apps are far more intricate, visually appealing and have much more functionality.
    I'm not a huge apps person either but as I've used iOS and actually had quality applications to install I've found myself with more and more. There really is a huge difference in the quality of applications. I could go on but it suffices to say I know many BB users that wish they had some of the same apps I use for the BB platform.
    I deleted them because I want using them and I discovered that the browser did many of the things I needed apps for, youtube, dropbox, podcasts, weather etc etc

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-11 04:30 PM
    I deleted them because I want using them and I discovered that the browser did many of the things I needed apps for, youtube, dropbox, podcasts, weather etc etc

Agreed. I use the browser for lots of tasks myself instead of using a 3rd party app.
    07-21-11 05:03 PM
    This is laughable...... Ill admit I do use the browser and not the native browser for things like youtube. The reason all the youtube apps are garbage and take longer on a BB than just going to the mobile site. Also your gonna say that if google nav was available tomorrow on BB you would just keep on using BB maps or even plain g maps? I use my phone for work, to browse the internet (thanks to OM), to navigate to different job sites, and on the rare occasion play a game on. (I like chess, and wish I had a few more choices than currently offered.) this argument is old and tiresome that apps are no good and not needed and as a BB (proud owner) I wish you serious fan boys would start being honest and demand more. Katiepea has said more than enough to prove her point which is valid and true so I really don't need to say more. My contract is up and I have been waiting for the Monaco to rear its face, but seriously question why, when I will prolly be stuck w the same old tired apps I have and use on my two year old phone now.

07-21-11 05:56 PM
    Notice I put in there that everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Just because a processor has less power, that doesn't mean it will always be better or faster. Operating systems are optimized to be as fluid and easy on the battery and processor as possible - some are better optimized so you can have less power and still be more efficient than higher-power processors (although if you read it again he clearly says processors are a draw). Also, some people prefer flash storage. It has advantages because when I buy a phone, I don't want to have to pay even more money just so I can put media and stuff on it, it should already do that.
    Respectfully, I am sorry but that doesnt make any sense. A hyperboly of that would be comparing a 486 PC from the early 90's on windows 3.1 with a current windows setup on a new computer and saying that the processors are equal because the both run nice.

Faster is faster, rating a 1.2 gz processor the same as a 1gz processor shows bias aspecially when you dont take battery life into account.
    07-21-11 06:26 PM
    Respectfully, I am sorry but that doesnt make any sense. A hyperboly of that would be comparing a 486 PC from the early 90's on windows 3.1 with a current windows setup on a new computer and saying that the processors are equal because the both run nice.

Faster is faster, rating a 1.2 gz processor the same as a 1gz processor shows bias aspecially when you dont take battery life into account.
    CPU speed isnt everything.... it also depends on the brand of it, memory, ect. For example, an intel 3.0 cpu is not the same as an amd 3.0 cpu
    07-21-11 06:31 PM
    You shoot yourself in the foot a bit here as it's claimed by some that alternatives to BB are best and more desireable because of the quantity of apps available, useing the arguement that app designers want only to design for this or that platform, we keep on being told this in order to validate your choices. However you yourself say that you narrow it down by going for the most popular through use of reviews etc in essense wading through loads of poor apps to find the more quality applications which is of course what we would all do, but then don't validate your argument that this or that is better because of the apps. " A farmer may produce 10 barrels of apples a day but he is not a better farmer if 8 barrels a substandard to one who only produces 2 barrels of good quality"
    Even windows phone 7 controls the number and quality of apps using the platform.
    iPhones and Android phones aren't better because of app selection, although I'd prefer a more robust selection of apps any day - not to mention BlackBerry apps are three times more expensive than App Store or Android Market.
    Plus, app developers decide which platform based on popularity of the platform because that provides a better chance for your app to be successful. Creating apps for BlackBerry wouldn't be a better choice in my opinion because the BlackBerry platform is losing users and interest quickly.

ALSO, I am NOT saying that I would 'weed' through the 'crappy' apps, I would simply make my decision based on what I want. Sure there are a ton of calculator and weather apps, sure they're similar and expendable to an extent in some peoples opinion, but I'd take 200 choices for the same app over two choices any day.

EDIT -

It does make sense actually. I don't know how familiar you are with OSs and processors, but you CAN actually - believe it or not - make a 'weaker' processor faster than a 'stronger' processor - it is absolutely possible. 1.2 GHz is a faster processor on it's own, but unless you're testing speed in the exact same device, you can't say for sure, without checking, which is faster.
    Last edited by dalton4L; 07-21-11 at 08:00 PM.
    07-21-11 07:55 PM
    Many professionals use iPhones on the regular basis, and companies are giving them out instead of blackberries.
    Yea... if you work for a teen magazine or something. Our ISO at the prison would die and go to **** backwards before he let us use iphones on the server.
    07-21-11 10:11 PM
    Yea... if you work for a teen magazine or something. Our ISO at the prison would die and go to **** backwards before he let us use iphones on the server.
    Hmm, no, there was an article posted on the forums a few days ago that showed 83% of fortune 500 companies allowing iOS or android on their servers

07-21-11 10:13 PM
    Tell that to our warden then....
    07-21-11 10:21 PM
    One of the things about apple, and it has always been this way, is the cult like community. For example, how you disregard how security conscious entities like government, prisons, or whatever rely on with an offhand remark and leave it at that.

As tablets pick up in the medical field for example they will have to comply with hippa. As far as I know there is only one that passed federal security standards.

Dont get me wrong, IOS is great, I loved it. But that is how the beast sucks you in dude. They give you something shiny and nice, but it comes with costs and restrictions that you have to just deal with. Being able to freely access, utilize, and mobilize my media and data the way I want to was worth leaving the apple kool aide.

The arrogance and general holier than thou behavior of apple fan boys is a nice thing to be rid of as well tbh.
    07-21-11 10:28 PM
    One of the things about apple, and it has always been this way, is the cult like community. For example, how you disregard how security conscious entities like government, prisons, or whatever rely on with an offhand remark and leave it at that.

As tablets pick up in the medical field for example they will have to comply with hippa. As far as I know there is only one that passed federal security standards.

Dont get me wrong, IOS is great, I loved it. But that is how the beast sucks you in dude. They give you something shiny and nice, but it comes with costs and restrictions that you have to just deal with. Being able to freely access, utilize, and mobilize my media and data the way I want to was worth leaving the apple kool aide.

The arrogance and general holier than thou behavior of apple fan boys is a nice thing to be rid of as well tbh.
    Media on BlackBerry is a joke compared to iPhone. The iPhone has an iPod built-in, and there's no denying that iPods are the poster-boy for portable media devices, so to say you left iOS so you could be more 'free' with your media is ridiculous. Needless to say my Torch skipped every single song I put on it every 15 or so seconds (they worked great on my iPhone 4).

The whole 'Apple fans are like sheep' BS is played-out to no end.
    07-22-11 01:22 AM
    iPhones and Android phones aren't better because of app selection, although I'd prefer a more robust selection of apps any day - not to mention BlackBerry apps are three times more expensive than App Store or Android Market.
    Plus, app developers decide which platform based on popularity of the platform because that provides a better chance for your app to be successful. Creating apps for BlackBerry wouldn't be a better choice in my opinion because the BlackBerry platform is losing users and interest quickly.

ALSO, I am NOT saying that I would 'weed' through the 'crappy' apps, I would simply make my decision based on what I want. Sure there are a ton of calculator and weather apps, sure they're similar and expendable to an extent in some peoples opinion, but I'd take 200 choices for the same app over two choices any day.

EDIT -

It does make sense actually. I don't know how familiar you are with OSs and processors, but you CAN actually - believe it or not - make a 'weaker' processor faster than a 'stronger' processor - it is absolutely possible. 1.2 GHz is a faster processor on it's own, but unless you're testing speed in the exact same device, you can't say for sure, without checking, which is faster.
    I am sorry but many folk justify their argument by talking about the quantity of applications, you know, "we have more so it's a "fact" we are better" often the debate includes debate about developers preferring alternative OS's this in my opinion is because they follow consumer hipe, it is fantasy to suggest that it's therefore better for those reasons. Look to history when computers became a home tool, developers jumped into the hipe and look now at the security issue created by the free for all that followed, apple in my opinion were instamental in changing that by not allowing just anyone to write for their OS. Maybe in the long term it will be a good thing that BlackBerry and now windows phone 7 restrict in a sense (windows actively) a free for all. You also suggest that BlackBerry is losing market share this may be true in some parts of the world but not all, Europe is seeing an increase in market share last I heard, which may be linked to Data protection and security, which is of course a reflection on accesability of the OS.
    Having said that I respect that your views are valid to your use but that they may not be for all of us.
    07-22-11 03:56 AM
    i challenge anyone to find an app in appworld that is on multiple platforms, that has it's best iteration on the blackberry, there isn't one. every single app that is multiplatform is ridiculously better on ios/android. this is the single reason i left blackberry. on that note i'm more than willing to be excited about a qnx phone, though i don't have a lot of hope for it, it will have to prove itself.
    07-22-11 04:17 AM
    i challenge anyone to find an app in appworld that is on multiple platforms, that has it's best iteration on the blackberry, there isn't one. every single app that is multiplatform is ridiculously better on ios/android. this is the single reason i left blackberry. on that note i'm more than willing to be excited about a qnx phone, though i don't have a lot of hope for it, it will have to prove itself.
    Depends what you mean by better, better working or better looking.
    I'll give you an example, Whatsapp, iphone users constantly forget to turn it on, so much that I gave it up and started texting them again. On a Blackberry you don't have to worry about that, and it's free for a year, .99 on iphone.
    Google talk is much better on a blackberry compared to android, probably yahoo and live messenger too

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 07-22-11 at 05:10 AM.
    07-22-11 04:53 AM
    I'm gonna go as far as saying that any IM client works better on Blackberry and it's integrated as deep in the OS and other apps as BBM is.

07-22-11 05:12 AM
    Look guys just stop the fighting...its obvious that BB fans do not want apps...im going to read the thread about the leaked Android player for PB...it has 476 replies. Yeah BB fans dont want apps...whatever.
    psufan32 likes this.
    07-22-11 05:16 AM
    Media on BlackBerry is a joke compared to iPhone. The iPhone has an iPod built-in, and there's no denying that iPods are the poster-boy for portable media devices, so to say you left iOS so you could be more 'free' with your media is ridiculous. Needless to say my Torch skipped every single song I put on it every 15 or so seconds (they worked great on my iPhone 4).

Excuse me Freedom of Media IS a reason to leave the Apple world

I am able to get my Audiobook for free from librivox and have them listed as Audiobook, iOS devices don't recognize non apple purchased Audiobooks and force you to put them into MUSIC.

I do not require special software to transfer music/videos/files from one PC to the next PC to the Next PC having Mass Storage Mode.

That is freedom of media, it has little to do with how one plays back media it has everything to do with how one obtains and utilizes media.
    NursingNinja and Jake Storm like this.
    07-22-11 05:57 AM

I am able to get my Audiobook for free from librivox and have them listed as Audiobook, iOS devices don't recognize non apple purchased Audiobooks and force you to put them into MUSIC.

I do not require special software to transfer music/videos/files from one PC to the next PC to the Next PC having Mass Storage Mode.

That is freedom of media, it has little to do with how one plays back media it has everything to do with how one obtains and utilizes media.
    Thank you. I was just about to reply to this as well. I will also add the Apple music experience is completely overhyped.

07-22-11 06:19 AM

Brilliant, thank you, I wish I knew about librivox sooner, gonna make my driving a lot easier.

07-22-11 07:22 AM
    Browser test are so subjective. Unless you have the same conditions at the exact same time who knows. I can come to crackberry on my laptop and depending on the day, time, how many people are on it, if they are doing work on the site in the background, etc. It either loads fast or like a snail. It can be that way from one minute to the next.
    07-22-11 07:51 AM
    And our Execs are dumping there BB's for iPhones and I hardly think the States largest health care provider is a teen magazine....
    07-22-11 07:56 AM

Now you talking my arena HIPAA as a Systems Analyst in Radiology our Dr.'s iPads are working great in seeing images and YES they have passed all the regulations to do so. Our PACS system now has a mobility server for the iPhone and iPad. So tell me Nurse know it all, how do my Dr.'s do that? Oh and by the way it's HIPAA not HIPPA.............
    07-22-11 07:59 AM

I didnt say sheep, I said cult like. And since I was talking about myself having more freedom with the media and there is only one source on that, then your wrong.

iPod is one of those pieces of crap you have to tollerate that I was talking about. You have to use it a certain way, listen only, and then run syncs to update. You are pigeon holed into a certain user experience. The media player on my bb works as good as my iphone did tbh. I do miss those genius genres and the sorting by album cover thats for sure. But what I get in return is awesome.

For example, the other night my dad found an old collection of cds he had bought one night when I was a kid, it was a real throwback. After loading them up on his computer, finding the album art on google, adjusting the album titles so they organize correctly and things like that he was all set up.

Well I wanted copies too and with an ipod I would have to take those cds to my house and do it all over again. Instead I used wifi transfer app and moved them to my unsynced music folder on my bb. In the meantime they incorporated seamlessly into my media player. A few days later I synced them up with the rest of my music using itunes and media sync.

See that is my story. I love itunes because its free and gives you the best music database I have ever seen. I love making databases and respect the information power and creativity behind them. But that is how they sucked me in. After building a large collection early on with itunes I was locked in to their user experience and devices. I used my iphone because I had to really.

I made a thread on how and why I left the iphone. I also talked about how to still use itunes database and syncing features on blacberry for anyone who is curious. I dont have the link just search "leaving apple for rim"

And I am not wrong, this is my experience and opinion and no amount of apple arrogance can overthrow it. You dont have to like it dude, but not everybody likes the same things as you. I hope you enjoy your devices and that feeling superior to everyone brings you all the satisfaction you seem to hope it will.
    07-22-11 08:12 AM
    I will give it to you on that for one thing thats for sure. It was really cooling having that iphone netflix app because it could stream the instant movies. Wasnt something I used much because at home I would do it on the tv and on the go data speeds couldnt handle it, but I bet 4g will change that.
    07-22-11 08:17 AM
115 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD