When I connected the phone to the BlackBerry Desk Top Manager for the first time and clicked on Device Properties the number displayed in the Phone Number field is not mine.

The PIN and IMEI numbers match but the phone number is not mine though it is in my area code. I tried a reverse look-up and it came back as an AT&T mobile number. I tried calling it but the call went to voice mail.

I bought this phone NEW or at least thought I did! Now, I think it may have been used and returned to stock and re-sold as new. Any thoughts on how this could happed or instructions on how to replace the displayed phone number with mine would be appreciated.

I will be going back to the retailer tomorrow.
    07-28-09 01:53 PM
    well, the PIN and IMEI numbers are completely different. the PIN is an eight digit alphanumeric code that is device specific and is different on each blackberry, regardless of what SIM is inserted. The IMEI is a device serial code that allows carriers to activate service to that device. Those codes typically do not match. Im looking in desktop manager right now and i do not see the device properties button or tab, just the device connected (PIN) button which should be the devices PIN number. Also on a GSM phone shouldnt the phone number be that of the card inserted?

EDIT: i understand what youre saying now, the PIN and IMEI match the box it came in but the phone number does not match that of the SIM card you inserted? Is that what you mean?
    07-28-09 02:14 PM
    Now you've got it. Everything EXCEPT the phone number seems to "match" between the phone and the Desk Top Manager "Device Properties" screen.

I don't know where the DTM is getting the phone number from but it is not my number. I also posted this in the desk top manager section so hopefully I'll get an answer on this.
    07-28-09 02:46 PM
    I'd take it back...I wouldn't want someone else's used device, let me create my own problems...lol
    07-28-09 02:48 PM
    I'd take it back...I wouldn't want someone else's used device, let me create my own problems...lol
    That is the current plan. I was just trying to see if anyone could provide an explanation for this other than it being previously activated and used by someone else.
    07-29-09 05:14 AM
    I called AT&T and explained my problem to them. They could not give me any information on the phone and told me to call RIM. (BlackBerry)

I called BlackBerry and they checked the PIN number and told me that the phone was new and not a refurb. The agent I spoke with did not have the technical knowledge to explain how or why there could be the wrong phone number displayed by the desktop manager. I also have discovered that the BrickBreaker game is not loaded in the games folder. I now strongly believe that this phone was returned to the retailer and re-sold as new to me.

I also had to work my way through the mine field of plan features set up by the retailer. He added about $20 worth that I soon discovered were either not needed because they were covered under the basic talk and blackberry data plans or were incompatable with the BB Bold.

I think I may dump this whole mess and go with Sprint or even back to Verizon. I hate to give up the Bold but I think I could be almost as happy with the Tour.
    07-29-09 06:16 PM
    I called AT&T and explained my problem to them. They could not give me any information on the phone and told me to call RIM. (BlackBerry)

I called BlackBerry and they checked the PIN number and told me that the phone was new and not a refurb. The agent I spoke with did not have the technical knowledge to explain how or why there could be the wrong phone number displayed by the desktop manager. I also have discovered that the BrickBreaker game is not loaded in the games folder. I now strongly believe that this phone was returned to the retailer and re-sold as new to me.

I also had to work my way through the mine field of plan features set up by the retailer. He added about $20 worth that I soon discovered were either not needed because they were covered under the basic talk and blackberry data plans or were incompatable with the BB Bold.

I think I may dump this whole mess and go with Sprint or even back to Verizon. I hate to give up the Bold but I think I could be almost as happy with the Tour.
    The Tour doesn't have WiFi!
    07-29-09 09:19 PM
    The Tour doesn't have WiFi!
    I am aware of that. Still looking for info on the original topic though.
    07-30-09 11:41 PM
    Quit messing around with it and take it back, you have 30 days to exchange it. Problem solved.
    07-30-09 11:48 PM
    The tour is a good bb

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 12:16 AM
    The tour is a good bb

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I am going to Verizon to look at the tour today. (I know it lacks Wi-Fi)
    I was with Verizon for a few years after the contract expired before I cancelled service this month. They said since I left in good standing I could sign up as a new account and be entitled to all rebates.

I still have time left on the 30 day AT&T return so I will try the Verizon Tour and compare them both for features and coverage, then return one.
    07-31-09 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD