I went to the T-Mobile store recently and tried out the new 8520. I was excited about the new Onyx to be released by ATT soon and was on the fence about upgrading my Bold. The trackpad looks slickand really completes the overall look of the Curve, but it didn't perform the way I would have liked. I was highly disappointed. The trackpad doesn't have enough resistance, meaning, you have to swipe very carefully. If apply the slightest pressure, the trackpad will register a push command. I did this many times accidentally while using it. If the Onyx is issued with a trackpad, I will not be getting. I guess I will stay with my trusty Bold for a few more years until RIM fixes that bit of hardware.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-09 06:22 AM
    surely there will be some sort of option to alter the sensitivity, just as there is with the trackball
    08-17-09 06:34 AM
    hmmm.. this is the first time i heard trackpad has sensitivity issues
    08-17-09 08:17 AM
    You have to treat it as a trackball, not as anything else. Trust me, having spent many hours with the TP, it works perfectly on many different software revisions.
    08-17-09 08:20 AM
    not sure on that dwayne... been using the trackpad for months. it's a definite "click" when you want to select something. that might be a bogus unit or something. there are sensitivity settings for how fast it tracks (like a trackball). i dont think are settings for the push in/push out. but have played with quite a few units and have yet to experience hypersensitive on selecting stuff. i'm a huge fan of the trackpad (except in BRIGHT LIGHT).
    08-17-09 08:39 AM
    As Kevin said, it works very well in the devices i have used it on, extremely well in fact. I agree with everything, excepting the part of bright sun. I never had an issue in the Florida sun. Could have been the unit though. Did yours have a film over the TP Kevin?
    08-17-09 08:40 AM
    I've been using the 8520 for about a week and if it's
    one thing I love about the device it's the trackpad. It's so much
    easier to navigate than the trackball. I can easily
    scroll through a long document without using shortcut
    keys.
    The keyboard of the 8520 leaves a bit to be desired. I'd rather
    the feel and response of the Tour or the 8900 but the trackpad
    was a big reason I opted for the 8520.
    08-17-09 08:51 AM
    You must not know how to use an optical pad. I've used mine for well over a month and I have had no issues.
    08-17-09 08:58 AM
    User Error. User error.
    08-17-09 09:27 AM
    I think the in store unit may have been defective. My trackpad out the box was set perfectly.

08-17-09 09:53 AM
    You're doing it wrong....
    08-17-09 03:56 PM
    By all accounts I've heard it works great
    08-17-09 04:05 PM
    Sensitivity settings were probably on blast...
    08-17-09 04:08 PM
    not sure on that dwayne... been using the trackpad for months. it's a definite "click" when you want to select something. that might be a bogus unit or something. there are sensitivity settings for how fast it tracks (like a trackball). i dont think are settings for the push in/push out. but have played with quite a few units and have yet to experience hypersensitive on selecting stuff. i'm a huge fan of the trackpad (except in BRIGHT LIGHT).
    I'm speaking from my experience, it was very sensitive. Maybe I'm more aggressive, but either way it's a no go for me.
    08-17-09 04:24 PM
    User Error. User error.
    if you read some of the other posts, there are others who have stated that the optical trackpad lacked resistance. So if I'm not the only one, then there are some problems with at least some of the units.
    08-17-09 04:26 PM
    How am I doing it wrong?
    08-17-09 04:28 PM
    Ok. I can admit when I was wrong. Its an hour later since my last post and I decided to go to the T-Mobile store (a different one) and test the 8520. This unit was a lot better. I was able to swipe pretty much the same way I do with my trackball. There is even a slight clicking sound when scrolling. Its kinda the same noise as the trackball. Trust me when I say that I was rooting for the trackpad, but after the first unit I used, it seemed like a bust.

08-17-09 05:45 PM
    Well, you are right about the trackpad's sensitivity.It can lean to the point of being over sensitive.At times I wish the pad was a bit larger.But after a few dealings with a stuck trackball I'll gladly deal with an "over responsive" control.

08-17-09 07:05 PM
    That happened to me too. When I first tried the phone it was like that for me too. I tried another store the same day and fell in love. The phone is pretty good I know my 8900 and Bold are now jealous. I wish there was a way to convert my 8900.
    08-17-09 07:20 PM
    you guys don't have to change the stores to get right sensitivity of a TP, all you have to do is go options screen/keyboard and set it on 80 or 90 and between options mute/click choose click...you all set. you be feeling like you operating with a trackball but much better and responsive feeling, i love trackpad, cant wait to get Onyx and put mu Bold to rest as a back up phone
    08-17-09 07:47 PM
    awwhh.. the sensitivity settings can be changed
    08-17-09 07:56 PM
    if there is no trackpad i will not upgrade from a BOLD
    08-17-09 07:56 PM

08-18-09 12:58 AM
    Sounds like the one the OP encountered initially may have had a weak spring under the pad so even slight pressure caused it to click.

08-18-09 02:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD