Hello All. I recently purchased a bold from a friend and have been having issues. I was trying to use the Wi-Fi in the hospital over the weekend with the browser on the phone and it would say that I was not in an area that allowed data connection. I checked all the setting of the phone i.e, I was assigned an I.P address, made sure data connection was on and ran a diagnostic. I do not currently have a data plan as I do not want to pay pro-rate charges. I contacted an AT&T rep and they said I must have a blackberry data plan even if I want to use Wi-Fi. Can someone inlighten me on this? The previous owner never had a data plan nor used the phone for anything but texting so Im not sure exactly what's going on and doubt it's an issue with the phone.
    06-08-09 08:10 AM
    Personally I don't see why you would need a data plan to use WiFi when that is pretty much free in some cases. And I know not all reps can be trusted.

I would say hang around for a while to see if someone else can shed some light this problem.
    06-08-09 09:10 AM
    Personally I don't see why you would need a data plan to use WiFi when that is pretty much free in some cases. And I know not all reps can be trusted.

I would say hang around for a while to see if someone else can shed some light this problem.
    Defo dont need a Dataplan. What about ipod touches etc they have wifi and no need for a dataplan.

Theres some amazingly bright people here, that know so much. Just hand five someone will help.
    06-08-09 09:15 AM
    Thanks. I figured it was farse info since I just gave up a winmo with wifi but it just makes no sense. Its like its not even trying to use wifi but edge or some other data. Not sure if this is relavent but I also noticed that my connection never changed from GSM and I had a curve that done this before and it ended up being a sim card issue. So not sure if the always GSM and no wifi are related.
    06-08-09 09:21 AM
    You need to make sure your default browser is set to Hotspot Browser under "General Properties". The browser is one of the few things you can use on your blackberry without a data plan on wifi...
    06-08-09 09:40 AM
    I contacted an AT&T rep and they said I must have a blackberry data plan

The reason they require a data plan is monetary; not technical.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 09:51 AM
    it all depends on the exact wording you used to explain your issue. I wouldn't go so far as to say they lied to you.
    If you want to use the wifi for browsing using your hotspot browser, then wifi would be able to allow you to browse websites.
    If you wanted to use push email, msn, or other programs, then you will definitely need a BIS data plan not so you use data but so that you can have the proper service books to allow those functions to work.
    You have to understand that the way BBs work is through servicebooks and that other devices such as iphones and winmo devices do not work the same way>
    06-08-09 06:55 PM
    I've connected my BB Bold to my Wifi network at home before I added the data plan.

In my situation I run a WPA2 Security on my wifi. Unfortunately the Bold does not have WPA2 as an option when configuring wifi manually. I used the "Push Button Setup" on the setup wizard on the bold. At the same time run WPS on the wifi router.

I have a NETGEAR DGND300 wifi router. This model supports WPS setup. - ref BestBuy.

WPS - Wifi Protected Setup - ref. Wikipedia

Automatically my bold was able to connect to my home network and have the WPA2 security settings.

After that I was able to install other apps like Opera Mini, Gmail, and etc. over my wifi connection.

Unfortunately I can't paste in links yet.

Hope this info helps.
    06-08-09 07:09 PM
    You require a Voice/Data Plan in order to use the regular browser, email, msn and what have you over WIFI.... period, no way around it.

As for hotspot browser NO you don't need a plan.

So the reps at you service provider like any other in the world is correct to tell you this, but they fail to mention about the hotspot browser.

Sure the BB can see your router and so forth with out a plan, but you won't be able to connect to it properly without a plan.

Or if you just want to usa a browser then hotspot again does not require a plan.

yes there is some other programs that will work without a plan as they are not a push designed program.
    06-08-09 07:27 PM
    i find it annoying that you cannot use wifi on hot spot browser with data service turned off. i could just use wifi and turn off the cellphone's radio connection, but i woudl'nt be able to receive phonecalls while browsing. however, i guess calling att and requesting they stop any and all data feed to my phone is one way to get around this minor issue. but then again, once rebate is handled, im getting bis on this line anyways. all is good.
    06-11-09 02:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD