Ok so I've had the Bold 9930 since the day verizon started selling them. And I must say I was pretty impressed to say the least. I thought the build quality felt pretty top notch, and performance was very very Godd...The problems that existed in Blackbberies of old looked to be gone... However, after about a week, the Honeymoon was coming to an end!

So I started to have some headaches on Monday Where my pretty perfect Bold 9930 started to act weird, the trackpad was just developing a mind of its own...I'm aware that the screen is very close to the pad and what not, this had nothing to do whith that...I'd touch the trackpad, and 5 seconds later it would move, I'd scroll up, I'd go down, stuff like that. Also the part of the phone by the mic where it says Verizon was started in lift up... Anyway, I called up tech support, went though a hard reset, tried a bunch of battery pulls, etc, this thing was deemed un fixable, and vzw was sending me out a brand new one. My new bold came the very next day, and let me just say thats when my headaches began. Right out of the box I noticed a defference, the trackpad was sticking and making an annoying clicking sound, the screen was a very off white, almost more towards the yellow side, nothing like the Beautiful Bright white one I've been using since day one, the camera was blurry with even the stillest of shots, and the power button was recessed so far down that it had to be basically pressed with my fingernail. Anyway, this was not going to be my phone for the next 2 years.

So I called up vzw and spoke to a really cool understanding tec, and said I understand what your saying, and had me bring that one to Fed ex and that they would send me out another brand new one once it showed in the system that fed ex had received the package and that it was on its way back to them. Well he came through, not next day, but 2nd day delivery...didn't matter, I was just happy to finally get a hopefully good working, good built one. Anyway what would happen next would just fall under the category of bad luck, I opened up the box and was greeted with a 9930 with a big giant scratch across the metal band near the power button...lol...that's just plain bad luck!!! Anyway the scratch went right into the rubeber housing. So again I called vzw and the tec said hey instead of us sending you a new one, u can take it to the store tomorrow..(Thurs), and just get a new one there! Which is what I did, I brought to a store near me, and they were all too happy to do a swap...gave them that one, and I got a brand new one! Awesome right?

Nope, not awesome! It all looked to be pretty good while in the store and I was setting it up.. The new one has that beautiful white screen that my first one had, a very clear camera...However it has the very annoyoing sticky trackpad, which I was just gonna live with at this point...it wasn't until later that night when I got home that I turned the phone upside down and realized the housing was pulling apart...Yes its pulling apart and light is peeking through! Not just there either, the same thing is happening by the charging port! Now Seriously, RIM are you kidding me? How can a bunch of phones be blessed with so many issues...Namely one where the housing is coming apart out of the Box?

Anyway I'm pretty much at my rope with all this the past week! And am thinking about porting my number back to at&t and just going back to my 9700 for now! I don't feel like going through 10 phones just to find a decently built one that works correctly. Rim I must say,,,Your build quality control is still pure garbage...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    mustangv8 likes this.
    08-26-11 08:19 AM
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune, I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the 9930 but will wait now. I'm reading too many stories that seem to point to hardware quality control and I don't have time to be talking to techs or frequenting Verizon stores just to get a working phone. It also seems battery life can vary greatly between phones on the same carrier.
    I suppose this is the price early adopters often pay. I bought my Tour on day one when it came out and remember the trackball issues many had. I was fortunate to have a working one. This isn't a new phenomena when devices are initially released.
    08-26-11 08:26 AM
    Sucks to be you! Sounds like there's a bad batch of devices out there! Fortunately for me I have NONE of those issues. This thing is rock solid, beautiful and running great on Leaked .353.
    08-26-11 08:31 AM
    I have been through only a single replacement. This one is good except for the power button being reccessed. I think I'm just going to get a case anways so that should help with that problem. Sorry man you're not having good luck with the phone.

08-26-11 08:36 AM
    Wow, that really is a string a bad luck. Hope it gets resolved one way or another. I'm glad Verizon is at least helpful.
    08-26-11 09:05 AM
    Exactly why I got rid of mine. Unacceptable for a $500+ device.

08-26-11 09:09 AM
    wow, talking about bad luck. Sorry to hear you had so many problems man! The Bold is a really nice device, keep chugging fwd and you'll be super duper happy once you get a good one. I just wish RIM would be more attentive to QC, be more like Apple. LOL, I guess that's the only thing I would like RIM to copy from Apple.
    08-26-11 09:14 AM
    I'm going to make one last try today and see what I get! Honestly, this is a serious problem of RIMS, customers shouldn't feel like its a 50\50 shot to get a good quality built device when they choose a Blackberry!

DrewDT likes this.
    08-26-11 09:23 AM
    I am not on Verizon and I am sorry you guys have had those problems. I am on Sprint and so far so good I haven't had any of those problems. I went to the store and purchased my phone on day 1 as well. However, I do know that when you are the first one to purchase new products you sometimes tend to get some that are not up to par. I was prepared to deal with that when I purchased. It maybe 3 months from now before I experience my first problem or it maybe 3 days, but I will deal with it accordingly. This is by far one of the better products that RIM has come out with to date.
    08-26-11 10:14 AM
    These are the stories that scare me; I understand that people are likely to post on a message board when they have questions or problems, but happy people are usually just... well, happily using their phone.

Still I think I am going to try a 9930. I was initially going to buy online for the instant rebate, but went to the Sprint store to ask for a price match. They would not, but said if I reserve online I could come back in two hours and pick one up. Calling Sprint to tell them how lame and needlessly irritating this was, I was told that phone wasn't reserveable anyway. Typical Sprint.

Anyway I think I am safer buying in the store so if I have to do these returns, etc, I am not waiting for all this shipping. (this is the point of the boring story of the run around I am getting.) All I'll be waiting for is a rebate.

One thing I am not going to do is change my PIN with various vendors for all new serial numbers for at least a week... I'll run trial versions or just run as a basic Blackberry in case I decide to switch back to my 9650. This should not be such a headache. Or maybe I should finally get off my arse and update to OS6... maybe that'll make me feel like I have a newer phone, while I continue to watch the 9930 story unfold.

Yes, this is a useless ramble; sorry, I am just thinking out-loud, reading some of these posts. :-P
    08-26-11 10:18 AM
    I don't buy any of this "early adopters" crap. There is NO excuse for such poor build quality.

uncltom, andy957, soogriff and 1 others like this.
    08-26-11 10:48 AM
    We are hearing a LOT of complaints about the Verizon 9900 units.

Strange in deed as my unbranded 9900 is about the best BB I have owned as far as build quality, not to mention it has worked without flaw on the original OS.261
    08-26-11 10:51 AM
    I don't buy any of this "early adopters" crap. There is NO excuse for such poor build quality.

I agree it's not a great excuse but it has been a fact of life for newly released technology items for a while.

Considering this is supposed to be a flagship device that has been much delayed in release, one would hope this many issues wouldn't be the case.
    08-26-11 10:59 AM
    Have to say that i'm loving my 9930 after living with Storm/Storm II for the past 3 years. Got it on day 1 from Verizon with .254 loaded and have experienced none of the problems noted above. My only complaint is that PTT is not available yet.
    08-26-11 11:19 AM
    I think that the 9900 were manufactured first then came the 9930 with the radio change. Nothing different but the radio but had to be manufactured more quickly causing a slew of below quality built devices and few good ones. Nothing against rim but I do know carriers have the nerve to resend bad phones back out if they are in working condition. Example: you sent you 1st bad one back, just had physical issues. The phone demand is kinda high so they clean, re-package and ship it to me as new. Sucks but that's business.
    andy957 likes this.
    08-26-11 11:26 AM
    wow...is it just verizon or what? me and four of my friends when out and picked up 5 bold 9930 on sprint and all of them were in perfect condition and nothing like what they describe. they were all made in mexico 1.
    08-26-11 11:37 AM
    Like all devices I think there was a bad run-batch that got out there. Usually the first few batches of a brand new tech product may contain errors/defects, simply because they have to work out all the production kinks. I have one from Mexico with the Japanese-made battery, haven't had a problem yet. Sorry to hear you've had such a problem getting a good one!
    08-26-11 11:39 AM
    wow, talking about bad luck. Sorry to hear you had so many problems man! The Bold is a really nice device, keep chugging fwd and you'll be super duper happy once you get a good one. I just wish RIM would be more attentive to QC, be more like Apple. LOL, I guess that's the only thing I would like RIM to copy from Apple.
    Even apple has QC issues. you dont remember all the yellow displays or even the bad proximity sensors? I dont think anyone has forgot about their inherently flawed antennas that could be stopped by a misplaced finger.
    Last edited by Gregory Ryan; 08-26-11 at 12:13 PM.
    08-26-11 12:05 PM
    Well after speaking to an awesome supervisor, vzw is sending me out a Brand new one yet again! I really don't buy the early buyer stuff! RiM has been around look enough to be able to deliver a quality made device!

08-26-11 12:12 PM
    This is why I laugh at the people telling me about "I'd rather wait for RIM to take their time and release a device as bug free as possible". You put wayyy to much faith in RIM these days folks.

08-26-11 12:13 PM
    Wow not only the OP
    So many problems are affecting the 99xx
    Way to go RIM

08-26-11 12:38 PM
    wow...is it just verizon or what? me and four of my friends when out and picked up 5 bold 9930 on sprint and all of them were in perfect condition and nothing like what they describe. they were all made in mexico 1.
    Verizon sales volumes are massively higher than Sprint sales volumes. Not to mention previous to the Sprint availability, anyone who bought one in the US (unless it was unlocked from another GSM carrier, which is not many people) bought it on VZ.

Hence why you will see more complaints on VZ units, even if the failure rate isn't necessarily higher...
    08-26-11 12:48 PM
    Stories like this make me not wanna get this device. I left bb for the iPhone when the Torch came out. When I saw this device on the market I knew I would be back but these stories are not making the switch seem like it wouldn't be very smart. Maybe I will wait until November for the AT&T version to come out.

08-26-11 12:56 PM
    People who are content don't complain (or say much of anything). Those who complain on here tend to be very loud.

Just saying, don't base your decisions purely off these threads.
    08-26-11 01:05 PM
    RIM is no different than any other company that releases MILLIONS of products, they have a percentage of defective products that make it to market. My guess is that they shoot for around 1-2%. (That's what we do at the company I work for). Unfortunately for RIM and all other manufacturers the 1-2% of people that get these products who also come to crackberry.com (prolly about .01% of the overall consumers that buy the product) are very vocal about their bad experience. And then of course you have the A-holes who ***** about everything regardless of the product.

rstrathman likes this.
    08-26-11 01:09 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD