Hey everyone! I've been searching/reading around the site now for a couple months, but have yet to introduce myself. So here it is in short. My name is Brad and I'm a college student at RIT. I've owned my AT&T 8800 for about 2 years now and have loved it ever since. Its my first BB and first smartphone. It definitely got me hooked on the BB craze, and I'm happy to announce that I finally upgraded to a Bold 9000. I bought a BNIB Bold from a member on here (which btw, great guy, A++ seller, and do not hesitate to do business with).

The phone arrived yesterday and man was I excited! Opened her up and swapped my SIM card in immediately. First reaction was "Wow this screen is amazing." I was so used to having my 8800 screen brightness on 10, but even when I put both devices on 100 there is still a big difference. Everything is so much more crisp and clear. Even typing out an SMS is great with how the fonts look.

The keyboard seems much more inviting to me. The keys are a little bigger, a little more rubberized feel to them. The trackball is the only thing I'm a bit iffy about. It seems so much more recessed into the phone than the 8800's trackball. I almost feel like it will fall in and lose it! Haha.

The phone seems a bit lighter to me than the 8800, but that may be that it is just balanced out better. This could be due to the battery being thinner and wider, dispersing that weight around.

4.6 OS takes some getting used to. I don't know if I'm a fan of the applications folder just yet, as it seems so much more searching is required to get something up and going. I'd much rather have everything in the "Home" folder than separated out.

This WiFi thing bugs me a little too. Haven't read up on it yet but do I have to constantly save new WiFi connections before they can be used? And I would think that there would be someway to have the WiFi connection be the top priority connection over 3g when available. I mean the WiFi should be faster right? I have to figure out how to make that the top priority over 3g.

Anyway, the Bold has been great so far and I hope to keep you guys updated. It still has the protective screen from the factory on it, and the next step is to try and find a good screen protector out there. I'm not much for hard cases and liked keeping my 8800 in my pocket so maybe I'll spring for a wallet like case this time? Any suggestions on these would be great.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by stealthfox; 03-17-09 at 10:32 AM.
    03-17-09 09:59 AM
    Should also mention I'm running OS v 4.6.0.167 any major reason to upgrade to a newer OS?
    03-17-09 10:31 AM
    You can move applications from any folder to the Home screen and visa-versa.
    03-17-09 10:35 AM
    You can move any Application to the home screen. Go to the Application and scroll over the one you want to move. Hit the Blackberry button and scroll to Move To Folder and then click on Home. The app is now on your home screen. You can then move it to the location on the home screen that you want and you can hide icons that you do not need to reduce the clutter.
    03-17-09 10:39 AM
    Just started to figure that out. It helps. Thanks.
    03-17-09 10:39 AM
    This really helps for some users who just want to get to know some other phones.
    Thanks for taking the time and enjoy the bold!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-09 10:47 AM
    Just some updates since my last post.

So my first full day with the Bold went pretty smoothly. However there were a few things I did notice. For instance, I would receive an SMS while holstered. When I take the phone out and unlock it, the screen immediately brings up the new SMS on the screen. Not just the SMS screen itself, with the other messages listed, but the actual new one. I found this to be both surprising and satisfying at the same time. Perhaps I was able to do this with my 8800, but I never knew that option was available. It makes it so much easier than having to click the convenience key, scroll to the new message and click. It sounds fairly simple, but during a long SMS conversation it saves you some time.

I'm still not sold on the WiFi. I tried using it yesterday, but honestly it still doesn't seem any faster than 3g. Granted I keep trying to use the Crackberry.com homepage as a testing source, but I really can't notice a difference. I would think with the processor the Bold has paired with a WiFi connection it would be almost instantaneous. Am I totally off on this standpoint?

I also did take note that the battery cover/battery itself seems to heat up pretty good. While placing a phone call or two, or simply browsing the net, you can really feel your palm start to get warm.

While staying on topic of the battery life, it didn't seem to good to me yesterday. Like I stated above, I received the phone on Monday and then charged it all night. Yesterday I used the phone maybe just a little more than I would use my 8800 on a normal day. The charge went from full to one bar left which turned yellow. Now there may be a few reasons for this:

1) Screen brightness is set to 100 where my 8800 was set to 10
    2) WiFi connection was left on all day yesterday to see how it works
    3) There may be other applications running that I am unaware of
    *EDIT 4) Charged it with my 8800 wall charger

Now as stupid as it is to say, isn't there an app out there that shows what other apps your phone is currently running? Sounds stupid but hear me out. You would open this app to view other programs running that you may be unaware of. Especially since the Bold has the "applications" and "downloads" folder. Then from that menu list you could say "Gee, I didn't realize my _____ app was still running. Here I'll close these apps out". Then when you are finished, simply close out the main app. Idk, I guess I'm just throwing ideas out there.

On a side note, I am also running BerryBuzz. I love the program, but there seems to be times when either the LED does not show the correct color (system default instead of what I set it too) or it shows a random LED color for no reason. I haven't narrowed this down yet. It may be due to different circumstances, like having the phone locked and holstered, or just locked and unholstered, or unlocked with a black screen. Any light shed on that would be great.

***Wanted to just mention that the person I bought the phone from was a member here: ItnStln511
    I would do business with him again and would encourage others as well. Thanks for a great phone!
    Last edited by stealthfox; 03-18-09 at 05:43 PM.
    03-18-09 05:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD