07-17-13 05:52 AM
72 123
tools
    Could you post your complete version number? VerizonWireless just pushed a 7.1 update (7.1.0.991) and, if that was your update, I'm sure others would love to see what you're thoughts and usage are.

- Scott
    The OP has a 9900 and .991 is for the 9930.

There is a stickied thread dedicated to .991 in this forum for anyone interested in it's performance.
    07-11-13 10:49 AM
    Not sure where to find that info but under 'software' it says Current Version 7.1.0 bundle 2108. Compared to 7.0 that I had before it's pretty amazing, especially in battery life.
    07-11-13 11:13 AM
    Not sure where to find that info but under 'software' it says Current Version 7.1.0 bundle 2108. Compared to 7.0 that I had before it's pretty amazing, especially in battery life.
    You are running 7.1.0.746 which is actually pretty old given that the latest OS version released is .923.

.746 was first released in late November 2012.
    07-11-13 11:47 AM
    That might be the best I can do for now. Checking on the phone with the carrier (DTAC in Thailand) said 7.0 was up to date and there were no software updates. I downloaded Desktop Manager for OSX and updated through there, it put on the version I have. It's ok for now. Main thing is battery life is phenomenal, I have wifi hotspot and battery saving mode. That should take me through the next few months.
    07-11-13 11:31 PM
    I also just "upgraded" to a 9930 3 months ago. I love this phone. I was truly disappointed that Sprint didn't get the Z10, or the Q10 yet, but after getting this phone I am completely satisfied. Great battery life, touchpad, touchscreen, shortcuts, blackberry bridge to my Playbook, and BIS. I use BIS to filter out emails I dont need coming to my phone. I lowered my screen brightness to 10% from 30% and didnt notice a difference in brightness but it added more battery life. It flawlessly connects to my 2 saved wifi networks when I get into range at each location. This phone rocks. I am glad to hear you are very happy with it. New technology doesnt always mean its better.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    07-12-13 12:57 AM
    That might be the best I can do for now. Checking on the phone with the carrier (DTAC in Thailand) said 7.0 was up to date and there were no software updates. I downloaded Desktop Manager for OSX and updated through there, it put on the version I have. It's ok for now. Main thing is battery life is phenomenal, I have wifi hotspot and battery saving mode. That should take me through the next few months.
    You are not limited to OS's provided by your own carrier.

You can install an OS released by any carrier, download and install and then delete the Vendor.xml file (s) and it will be recognised by DM and app Loader.
    07-12-13 03:46 AM
    Maybe one of you could help me out with this. I like the unified inbox for messaging. ATM I've got email/SMS/BBM going in there. Is there any way to add ONLY FB messages? The only option I see is to add notifications AND private messages but I'd rather keep notifications separate not in the main inbox. Sending private messages there makes sense. Thanks. Legal Eagle, I'll see if I can figure out the OS but I've got things working fairly well now and don't feel like reentering passwords, changing apps etc.
    07-12-13 05:43 AM
    To each their own, but this keyboard is better than the 9900's either way all devices are great devices. I can't remember though if the 9790 is OS7.1 or not. That could be a factor as well. If it isn't I'd go for the 9900

Posted via CB10
    All BlackBerry 7 devices have BlackBerry 7.1

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 09:15 AM
    Go to Options, Display, Home Screen Preferences OR on the Options screen, type "Home", then you will see Home Screen Preferences. Change "Launch by Typing" to "Application Shortcuts". Then back out and choose Save. Then all the nice shortcuts will be there. If you want Universal Search, all you do is hit the "S" and search bar appears on homescreen. Easy!
    Thank you for the quick search shortcut info. I regularly use keyboard shortcuts but didn't ever try search. Wow, how fast it finds everything on the phone. This will save lots of time. Another great feature.
    07-12-13 10:04 AM
    The only problem I see with the 9900 is the lack of auto focus camera.

Posted via CB10 v1.4.2 on my Zed10 10.1.0.273 on Rogers
    07-12-13 10:06 AM
    Bold 9900 is an the best Multi-tasking Smart phone ever - Period!

Forget the Q10/Z10, for the time being this is still No1
    Many, many of us disagree. The Q10 is superior for numerous reasons, despite a few features not yet being implemented.

Posted via CB10
    kupfernigk likes this.
    07-12-13 10:10 AM
    Many, many of us disagree. The Q10 is superior for numerous reasons, despite a few features not yet being implemented.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, but the Q10 is inferior to the 9900 in a number of areas.

With BB10 BlackBerry have produced phones that alienate Legacy device users and have nothing to tempt users from other platforms to jump ship.

Should have called BB10 Titanic cos it sure is going to sink the company.
    07-12-13 10:59 AM
    Let us know how you like the 9900. I too need a keyboard and prefer BIS - at the present time. I am upgrading from my 9780 to a 9900 later this year.
    Q10 will be next year or after. Depends on how much I love the 9900m

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    07-12-13 02:43 PM

With BB10 BlackBerry have produced phones that alienate Legacy device users and have nothing to tempt users from other platforms to jump ship.

I can't agree with that. The legacy BBs were sinking the company. The 9900 was the best of the old models, and was reasonable value compared to an iPhone, but there were just too many bugs. Lots of functionality that most people didn't use, but too many bugs.
    The Q10 doesn't have all the functions (yet) but so far it doesn't seem to have the bugs. Writing this will probably cause it to fail immediately, but so far after 2 months, no errors, no call or message problems, and consistent battery life over 2 days.
    Why did I get one rather than an iPhone? Because an iPhone doesn't have expandable memory, needs a dongle to use HDMI, won't work with the various chargers I have around the place, I can't replace the battery and I expect to be able to use NFC for some payments before long. Also, BB isn't tracking my every move.
    raremage likes this.
    07-12-13 02:56 PM
    Krishna Ram if you are worried about drainage as if some app is running in the background you should download Application Resource Monitor it would stop the apps which would be running in the background.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    bigedschukar likes this.
    07-12-13 06:31 PM
    Maybe one of you could help me out with this. I like the unified inbox for messaging. ATM I've got email/SMS/BBM going in there. Is there any way to add ONLY FB messages? The only option I see is to add notifications AND private messages but I'd rather keep notifications separate not in the main inbox. Sending private messages there makes sense.
    I think what you can do is go into the Facebook app and turn off the notifications and messages, then separately install the Facebook Messenger app, and in there choose to have messages shown in the inbox.
    07-15-13 02:21 PM
    I will be keeping my 9930 mainly because of BIS' compressed data. If I got something like a Z10 I'd have to pay Verizon at least $30 more dollars a month for extra data usage. Not going to do that.
    07-15-13 09:30 PM
    I will be keeping my 9930 mainly because of BIS' compressed data. If I got something like a Z10 I'd have to pay Verizon at least $30 more dollars a month for extra data usage. Not going to do that.
    I may go with the 9930. I really like BIS and the 9930 does CDMA here in North America and GSM in Europe very nicely.

I am waiting to see what Sprint wants for a Q10 first when it finally appears next month.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-16-13 07:15 PM

You're a sure cusser Legal Eagle. But I don't blame you. Stand up for us 9900 users and OS7 ppl in general! I also don't like how we can't upgrade to the latest operating system like ppl on other platforms. Developing world ppl like me can't just buy the latest phones when they come out.
    07-16-13 07:40 PM

Myself a former android user gladly picked up a Q10 and not regretting it one bit. The forums are full of people that already made the switch from android / iphone and loving their BB 10 devices.

CB10 - Q10
    07-16-13 08:57 PM
    My Bold 9650, just lost its speaker and ringing capabilities, my service provider (Big Red), is providing me with a replacement (Bold 9930) because my 9650 is still under manufacturers warranty.

They said 9650's are no longer available through my service provider so the 9930 it is...the threads on this post have been much help, thanks all.......BB4LIFE!
    07-17-13 05:14 AM
    My Bold 9650, just lost its speaker and ringing capabilities, my service provider (Big Red), is providing me with a replacement (Bold 9930) because my 9650 is still under manufacturers warranty.

They said 9650's are no longer available through my service provider so the 9930 it is...the threads on this post have been much help, thanks all.......BB4LIFE!
    Sorry to hear your 9650 failed. Make sure you update the 9930 to the latest OS for best results. OS7 has had its ups & downs, but the latest releases really shine.

- Scott
    07-17-13 05:52 AM
72 123