As the others have also stated, I love my 9930 and it's NOT silly buying one now. I don't plan on upgrading to a Q10 any time soon. Guess it helps that my upgrade with Verizon doesn't kick in until next January so I'm stuck until then anyways. Haha. People just don't understand why a physical keyboard is so special/important. It's just one of those things. I always get playfully ragged on about how I still use a Blackberry. I do have a Playbook so that takes care of my entertainment needs. I played around with a Z10 and though I like the predictive text, it just doesn't feel right without physical buttons. I feel the same when I use my Playbook. I'm sure that over time, I will adapt to an all-touch typing, but as long as BB continues making smartphones with physical keyboards, I will keep using them.

Buy it for whatever you need it for and don't listen to the masses Sounds to me like you made the right choice. Because the 9930 is so solid, I'm in no hurry to upgrade. And that's how it should be.
    rbrooks86 likes this.
    07-08-13 10:08 AM
    It's good that you go the 9900 route. The 9790 has some overheating issues. Despite that, I really loved my 9790.

I am now using a Z10 and it works well for me.

There was a question whether 9790 is on OS 7.1, yes it is.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 10:34 AM
    Bold 9900 is an the best Multi-tasking Smart phone ever - Period!

Forget the Q10/Z10, for the time being this is still No1
    07-08-13 11:00 AM
    I would go for the Q10!!

Toronto Maple Leafs BBM Channel C0001D318
    07-08-13 06:02 PM
    I'm in love. This might be the best smartphone I've ever used. Let's keep the 'play' things out. I don't really care about angry birds or youtube on a little screen anyway. For emails, text and just being productive this 9900 is BRILLIANT. Here's an observation from a BB newbie. I can't imagine using a phone of this size without a trackpad and I think not having one on the Q10 is a major oversight. I mean, I saw it in person, the screen is 'little', there's no way I want to poke around on it stabbing at buttons. Add a trackpad and a dedicated call / end button and I might consider it. With a key combination or special button to get to the hub as well.

After 7 years of smartphone experimentation, I've found mine. Now I understand the BB love and like a lot of you, unless something better comes out, I"ll stick with this even another 2 years just buying replacements. Who cares about progress ? it's handling my phone, email, text and contacts today - it'll do it next year as well. There's some quirks I need to figure out but that will come.

It's also gorgeous. A beautiful piece of engineering and I just like holding it and playing with the buttons. It's nice to have something besides your typical slab of glass.
    tidgejan likes this.
    07-08-13 06:27 PM
    Is this something I need to set up? Hitting 'm' on my phone doesn't bring up email it gives me a list of contacts, applications etc with the letter 'm'.
    07-08-13 06:28 PM
    I am still using my 9900 and for the record i love it.

The main reason i haven't saved for the Q10 is the lack of a trackpad loosing it on a keyboard phone was a really bad decision from blackberry i just hope the next one had a trackpad.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-08-13 06:41 PM
    Is this something I need to set up? Hitting 'm' on my phone doesn't bring up email it gives me a list of contacts, applications etc with the letter 'm'.
    Go to Options, Display, Home Screen Preferences OR on the Options screen, type "Home", then you will see Home Screen Preferences. Change "Launch by Typing" to "Application Shortcuts". Then back out and choose Save. Then all the nice shortcuts will be there. If you want Universal Search, all you do is hit the "S" and search bar appears on homescreen. Easy!
    07-08-13 08:27 PM
    Thanks. That is just amazing! Can you assign other letters to applications? F for FB and T for twitter would be useful too.

You know, I've been so jaded with phones I didn't think I'd ever get excited with a smartphone again. This Bold 9900 is brilliant. I haven't had so much fun playing with and setting up a phone in years! The next Q10 needs a trackpad, best way to navigate quickly and be productive.
    07-08-13 10:47 PM
    The 9900 is fantastic, but it is true that the 9790 fits better in the hand. In some ways I like the way it looks over the 9900. However, after going to BlackBerry 10, I can never see going back. The speed of this phone is incredible!

Buying a 9900/9790 right now is not strange. Whatever phone works for what you need it for is the one you should buy!

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 11:50 PM
    My first post. I bought my first BB (9900) a couple of months ago, not interested in a touchscreen particularly but liked the looks/feel of the 9900. Also Q10 projected prices were way to expensive (on PAYG). But mainly for me the deal-breaker was the lack of a trackpad. After 3 Android devices over the last 2-3 years (HTC Desire/Sensation/SG2) I decided that a trackpad was the only way to correct typing mistakes easily after playing with my wife's 9360. I'm at a loss to know what I'll do for a replacement in a year or two's time.
    07-09-13 05:30 AM
    Thanks. That is just amazing! Can you assign other letters to applications? F for FB and T for twitter would be useful too.

You know, I've been so jaded with phones I didn't think I'd ever get excited with a smartphone again. This Bold 9900 is brilliant. I haven't had so much fun playing with and setting up a phone in years! The next Q10 needs a trackpad, best way to navigate quickly and be productive.
    No, you cannot assign other letters for apps. You can assign other keys for one press (long hold) speed dialing. (short tap for function) I haven't searched for tips and tricks for the 9900 but have learned a ton from CB over time. Just wait until you do. Loss of trackpad on Q is what keeps me on my 9900 along with other reasons. While you are in messages, V will get you to Saved messages.

One of my favorites besides the easy copy/paste function is changing the calendar snooze from the default 15 minutes. This is quoted from Crackberry.

"When it comes to calendar popup reminders you normally have three options: Open, Dismiss and Snooze, with the Snooze time being a default time that you set within calendar options. It is not adjustable within the popup.*

However, thanks to this BlackBerry tip, you can enable it so you can adjust your calendar snooze time on the fly. It'll work for tasks too. Here's how you do it:

Step 1: Open the Calendar App
    Step 2: Hit the Menu Key, and Select Options
    Step 3: Type in the letters acsz

That's it. From there you *should* get a popup saying "Now allowing user to change snooze from dialog". If this doesn't work for you, try holding down the Alt key while typing acsz. Having this feature enabled now allows you to scroll through the snooze times whenever you get a calendar reminder, so you're not stuck with the default time. And if you want to disable this functionality, all you need to do is repeat the steps and things will go back to the way they were".

My absolute favorite is copy/paste without choosing the menu (BB button) and scrolling to it. I use this daily and numerous times to edit emails and text. Again, this is quoted from CB.

"One of the most useful functions I have learned over the years is how to quickly copy and paste. To copy some text, highlight the text you want by placing cursor at the beginning or end of text you want to copy. Press the shift key, and scroll, highlighting the text with your trackpad (as you would on a computer with the click + highlight function). Once the text is selected press and hold the alt key and click the trackpad. To paste this text, place your cursor where the text is needed, and simply press the shift key and click the trackpad one more time."

The third favorite for navigating through apps is this "the Alt key can make your BlackBerry navigation a bit smoother. To use this function you hold down the Alt key, click Escape once, and then scroll with your trackpad. That’s all there is to it. Scroll over to the next application you will use, and release the Alt key. Now you’re there. Want to go back? Do the same thing".

Going back and forth between the same two is so fast. I shouldn't tell you these because you won't ever want to be without your trackpad again. Have fun!
    07-09-13 06:51 AM
    I'll reply to some of the comments in a bit, thanks for all the tips but have an urgent question. I noticed battery drain yesterday but did some reading on wifi/screen brightness etc. Something strange happened this morning. Between 630 AM and 1030 AM the phone was on, not plugged in and sitting on my desk. No use. I just checked it, battery dropped 75% in 4 hours and it's HOT! Doesn't seem right and I haven't installed anything new. Whatsapp/BBM/FB/Twitter/Email is all i have running. Wonder if this is something simple or the phone's actually defective. It was fine yesterday though. this is new behavior
    07-09-13 10:22 PM
    Whatsapp is a known battery killer !!!

Make sure that you only have the bare essentials running in the background and that your refresh rates are OK
    07-10-13 07:14 AM
    It's much better now. I found a way to get desktop manager for OSX and upgraded the software to 7.1. Tomorrow's my test to see if it makes it through a full day but the insane drain has stopped. SHould I delete whatsapp or just make sure it's not running in the background?
    07-10-13 08:49 AM
    I think for those that are saying the Q10 is missing a track pad don't forget that they didn't simply take 9900 running 7.1 and remove the track pad. The Q10 was designed around not having a track pad, quite simply it doesn't need it. Navigating around a website with a track pad is one of the most frustrating experiences ever however the Q10 gives you the best of both worlds, touch and type.

I'm sure the 9900 is a great phone but the Q10 is the clear choice for me.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 09:04 AM
    I think for those that are saying the Q10 is missing a track pad don't forget that they didn't simply take 9900 running 7.1 and remove the track pad. The Q10 was designed around not having a track pad, quite simply it doesn't need it. Navigating around a website with a track pad is one of the most frustrating experiences ever however the Q10 gives you the best of both worlds, touch and type.

Posted via CB10
    But navigating around Text is so much easier with a track pad and there are those who quite simply prefer it to gestures and using the touch screen around which BB10 is built.
    armd02 likes this.
    07-10-13 10:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    I too have the best of both worlds on my 9900. I can use the trackpad or the touch screen.
    bigedschukar likes this.
    07-10-13 11:59 AM
    Just 3 days using a phone with a trackpad and I can't see myself going back to full touch ever. It is just so efficient. One handed, fast and no poking at a small screen. I've come to prefer smaller phones, don't want a big slab of glass in my pocket, and with a smaller screen, touchscreen only isn't viable/practical. The trackpad, dllrogers shortcut tips etc have me speeding through 'work' on the phone and putting it away quicker.

I wonder if it's an age thing. My phone isn't a toy anymore, it's a tool. I want to use it, get my work done and put it away getting on with the business of living. Email, text, twitter, fb updates and the actual, you know, PHONE part is phenomenal on the 9900. I've never been so efficient and multitasking is a breeze.

Thanks for all the advice in this thread. I'm a convert. And while the Q10 looks nice and could be fun, I'm perfectly happy sticking with this 'old' 9900 for another 2 years if needed. It's getting all my tasks done, I don't expect these tasks to change in the near future.

The only thing I would upgrade to - that silver/black P9981. Saw it live and it's SLICK!

Did some research, fixed all the normal battery drain problems and have upgraded to 7.1. So far, it's looking good. I lost 50% between 2PM and 11PM yesterday with a couple of hours of standby and then normal use. I'm happy if the phone lasts 14 hours, a normal day out. Will be testing it today keeping an eye on standby drain and pushing it through my normal work flow to see if it lasts. worst case - I'll buy an extra battery.
    07-10-13 08:46 PM
    I have both a z10 and the bold 9900, and by far prefer the bold.Seems like a more premium device .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-10-13 09:27 PM
    I've been checking out the CB forums off on and on for a while now and have never posted anything...so, here it goes. I've had several BlackBerry's as well as other devices. I don't know why, but I keep coming back to BlackBerry. I had a 9930 last fall and liked it a lot. However, I thought I needed more and I've been through more devices than I can count. I guess I get bored quick. Most recently, I had a Z10. I decided to sell it and I am currently waiting for my new 9930 to arrive. I've decided that I just need more of a tool rather than a toy. I don't really play games and just need a simple yet productive device. I started thinking about the 9930 I had last fall and decided to get another. It's such a well constructed device that feels good in the hand and does everything I need a phone to do. The Z10 is a nice phone, but I miss the look, feel and design of the 9930. I don't think I've been so excited to receive a new phone in the mail before.
    Krishna Ram and bigedschukar like this.
    07-10-13 09:44 PM
    I've been checking out the CB forums off on and on for a while now and have never posted anything...so, here it goes. I've had several BlackBerry's as well as other devices. I don't know why, but I keep coming back to BlackBerry. I had a 9930 last fall and liked it a lot. However, I thought I needed more and I've been through more devices than I can count. I guess I get bored quick. Most recently, I had a Z10. I decided to sell it and I am currently waiting for my new 9930 to arrive. I've decided that I just need more of a tool rather than a toy. I don't really play games and just need a simple yet productive device. I started thinking about the 9930 I had last fall and decided to get another. It's such a well constructed device that feels good in the hand and does everything I need a phone to do. The Z10 is a nice phone, but I miss the look, feel and design of the 9930. I don't think I've been so excited to receive a new phone in the mail before.
    I agree with you.
    The device is a work horse.
    Does it's thing very efficiently.
    Also very comfortable in the hands.
    Looks pretty good also !
    Krishna Ram likes this.
    07-10-13 10:00 PM
    I really like the look of the 9900 as well. The Q10 is definitely the phone for me. Coming from iphone and android I'm loving the mix of keyboard and touch. I get the best of both worlds and I love the battery life!!!
    Screen size is excellent and more than enough for me. As an iphone user I wasn't a fan of the increase in size to the iphone 5. So I got my smaller screen back.
    Now all that's needed is some more apps, not games, I'm really hoping for an audible app and my bank to get it sh*t together and then I'm sweet!

Posted via Q10 goodness!!
    07-11-13 07:00 AM
    As a quick update, my battery efforts seem to have worked. Upgraded to 7.1, made sure nothing was running in the background, screen at 30%. I've now gone 13 hours with fairly decent use and the battery is still at 43% with a drain of about 3% per hour on standby. Works for me. With heavy use I'm sure it can make it 12 hours which is all I ask for. No problem plugging in at night (y)
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    07-11-13 08:55 AM
    As a quick update, my battery efforts seem to have worked. Upgraded to 7.1, made sure nothing was running in the background, screen at 30%. I've now gone 13 hours with fairly decent use and the battery is still at 43% with a drain of about 3% per hour on standby. Works for me. With heavy use I'm sure it can make it 12 hours which is all I ask for. No problem plugging in at night (y)
    Could you post your complete version number? VerizonWireless just pushed a 7.1 update (7.1.0.991) and, if that was your update, I'm sure others would love to see what you're thoughts and usage are.

- Scott
    07-11-13 10:33 AM
72 123