I'm finally giving up on touch screen phones. Had an iPhone back in 2007, have been through all of them and currently use a Nokia N9. As I reevaluate my needs, I've realized all I want from a phone is an impeccable keyboard, fantastic email handling, twitter, FB updates. All text based. I've got my iPad mini for 'fun'.

Anyway, I'm in Thailand at the moment and the difference between a new 9900 and the Q5 is about USD80. I prefer the look of the 9900, so classy, plus given my travels outside the States there's some advantage in using BIS with compression. 3G isn't as prevalent out here.

July 2013, new Bold 9900 .. dumb move? The 9790 is USD 80 cheaper but somehow the look of the 9900 is just so .. classy! Quite excited, I go through smartphones every 6 months and this will be my first BlackBerry. Any hints or advice on how to set it up? I keep hearing about keyboard shortcuts, what's that?
    07-05-13 09:18 PM
    9900 is a great phone I don't think you would be disappointed.
    07-05-13 09:38 PM
    Would you pick that, given my specific needs, over the Q5 at the same price? They're close enough to be irrelevant. Just a little leery of buying a 'new' phone that's now 2 years old.
    07-05-13 09:45 PM
    I know a few people that have the 9900 and refuse to buy a newer version of any model, because they love it. It's a great phone. I had it before, but personal preference is full touch screen, so have a Z10 now. Just because it isn't a brand new model, wouldn't let that make the deciding factor. If it suits your needs in what you are looking for in a phone, would defiantly say go for it.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 09:59 PM
    I'm finally giving up on touch screen phones. Had an iPhone back in 2007, have been through all of them and currently use a Nokia N9. As I reevaluate my needs, I've realized all I want from a phone is an impeccable keyboard, fantastic email handling, twitter, FB updates. All text based. I've got my iPad mini for 'fun'.

Anyway, I'm in Thailand at the moment and the difference between a new 9900 and the Q5 is about USD80. I prefer the look of the 9900, so classy, plus given my travels outside the States there's some advantage in using BIS with compression. 3G isn't as prevalent out here.

July 2013, new Bold 9900 .. dumb move? The 9790 is USD 80 cheaper but somehow the look of the 9900 is just so .. classy! Quite excited, I go through smartphones every 6 months and this will be my first BlackBerry. Any hints or advice on how to set it up? I keep hearing about keyboard shortcuts, what's that?
    Not at all. The 9900 Is an awesome BlackBerry. Plus, it's already mentioned that the OS 7 platform is being upgraded to 7.2 in the near future. But, it is a personal choice. Good Luck.

from my Z10 on Dev OS 10.2.0.341 (~_*)
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    07-05-13 10:29 PM
    I love my 9900. I also have a Q10 and not loving it nearly as much. The only thing is the Z10, Q10 and Q5 browsers are way faster. And if you like facebook updates the new Blackberry operating system with the HUB may be useful for you. However with that being said I am disappointed with the Q10. I thought it would be an upgrade from the 9900 but so far (other than being super fast on webpages and having a shoddy skype app - the Q10 is not living up to the expectations I had from the 9900). I'm actually considering selling my Q10 (it's unlocked) and buying another 9900. I need two phones because one is for work.
    07-05-13 10:34 PM
    I've been using my 9900 for a couple of years and I can't imagine upgrading. Add a Playbook and you're good to go!
    07-05-13 10:39 PM
    I'm in the same situation as you are. I love the 9900 (had a curve 8320 around 2008-09) so I'm not totally new to BB. Then had iPhone for a couple of years now using note2. 9900 is so classy somehow i don't feel the same looking at Q10 (may be its just me).
    My decision to go for 9900 in 2013 is not hampered because of it being two year old in the market. But its due to the fact that my organisation's BYOD program doesn't support personal BB for accessing office mails/calendars (only iOS and Android devices supported). And I hate to carry two phones. Stuck at the moment.

07-05-13 10:41 PM
    I am keeping my 9900 until they come up with something that works as well for my needs. It is a beautiful phone. The kb shortcuts are great. I hide a lot of the icons and use the keys to open certain things I use daily. B opens browser, M for email, D for memo pad, L for calendar, N for messenger, A or C for address book or contacts, and the list goes on. Once in mail, hit C for compose. There are so many shortcuts and I love using them! You will love the phone!
    07-05-13 10:42 PM
    Thanks guys. Very excited. Off to MBK mall in BKK right now and should have a spanking new 9900 in my hands this afternoon. I think it's perfect for what I need it for. And, well, call me pretentious, but I like holding and handling beautiful things and that phone is just a marvelous piece of engineering. It looks gorgeous. Email, twitter, text and phone. My smartphone is a communications device.

What put me over the edge was I received an email on the N9 that required an immediate response. Anything greater than 4 lines is just too much on a glass screen for me. I managed to get through that 20 line email and boy was it painful. Enough - give me a keyboard!
    Syni and MobileMadness002 like this.
    07-05-13 11:04 PM
    Here's a general blackberry/BIS question. Is it set up through a carrier or through RIM? Let's say I'm in Thailand and put in a SIM card buying the local blackberry service. Email gets set up and works fine. Travel to India or the States and switch SIM cards. Does email need to be set up again through the new local provider's servers? What about wifi? If I choose not to get a data plan can I get emails on wifi without setting up BIS? (icloud mail btw which will be a challenge but I'll figure it out)
    07-05-13 11:11 PM
    Get the 9900, my friend had it for a while and he absolutely loved it. The 9790 may be cheaper but it's a big downgrade. The 9900 has a much better keyboard (due to a wider phone).

I currently have a q10, it's not bad, but there are quite a lot of imperfections that take away from the experience. Little things like BlackBerry hub and the music player need some tweaking.

So what to do? I would get the 9900 it sounds like a good deal if it's only a bit more than the 9790. Wait for the next qwerty BlackBerry phone, it will have all the goodies.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 11:13 PM
    Here's a general blackberry/BIS question. Is it set up through a carrier or through RIM? Let's say I'm in Thailand and put in a SIM card buying the local blackberry service. Email gets set up and works fine. Travel to India or the States and switch SIM cards. Does email need to be set up again through the new local provider's servers? What about wifi? If I choose not to get a data plan can I get emails on wifi without setting up BIS? (icloud mail btw which will be a challenge but I'll figure it out)
    BIS is a carrier related add on. The email won't be needed to be set up again. And once your device is registered you should be able to recieve without a data plan.

Btw I have both a Q10 and a 9900
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    07-06-13 09:25 AM
    I thought my VZW 9930 was quite a workhorse, still going strong since Dec 2011, still receiving updates. The only reason I'm looking at upgrading to Q10 is for ActiveSync (workplace just went Exchange). I'm trying BIS to see what it can/can't do.

- Scott
    07-06-13 06:17 PM
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

:-D

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-06-13 09:05 PM
    I have a 2 ye�rs old 9900 and a 1.5 year old PlayBook. Completely satisfied. They match my needs for work and personal. And I would sugguest anyone to have this combo
    07-06-13 09:52 PM
    Got my 9900 just 6 months ago. First time BB user here. Love this phone, as I prefer the tactile feedback of a physical keyboard compared to a full touch screen. Even though the Q10 has arrived, I don't think buying a 9900 would be a silly choice.

Sent from my Blackberry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-06-13 10:29 PM
    As always, confusion hit me while deciding. Played with both the 9900 and 9790 in person and there's something to be said about the smaller 9790 as well. Fits better in the hand and looks sleek in it's own way. I found the 9900 a little wide. I'll go back tomorrow and try the keyboards, that'll be the deciding factor I think. All smartphones these days are so big, it might make sense to pick up the little 9790 as a bridge for now and a spare phone later. Oh - the q10 in person just didn't do it for me. Looked so cheap compared to the Bold 9900. Hope RIM makes a proper premium keyboard phone at some point.
    07-07-13 07:33 AM
    As always, confusion hit me while deciding. Played with both the 9900 and 9790 in person and there's something to be said about the smaller 9790 as well. Fits better in the hand and looks sleek in it's own way. I found the 9900 a little wide. I'll go back tomorrow and try the keyboards, that'll be the deciding factor I think. All smartphones these days are so big, it might make sense to pick up the little 9790 as a bridge for now and a spare phone later. Oh - the q10 in person just didn't do it for me. Looked so cheap compared to the Bold 9900. Hope RIM makes a proper premium keyboard phone at some point.
    To each their own, but this keyboard is better than the 9900's either way all devices are great devices. I can't remember though if the 9790 is OS7.1 or not. That could be a factor as well. If it isn't I'd go for the 9900

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 08:06 AM
    I love my Bold 9900. It's the best smartphone on Earth. I enjoy typing on it without looking at the keyboard.

Money Soldiers
    http://moneysoldiers.com
    07-07-13 08:19 AM
    I just unlocked my old 9900 and gave it to my 13 year old daughter. She loves it. And when BBM goes cross platform, she'll be able to talk to her ios and android friends. And if you're thinking of using BES with work, calendar integration is still better on bb7.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 08:40 AM
    Sorry double post.
    Last edited by Krishna Ram; 07-08-13 at 08:47 AM.
    07-08-13 04:35 AM
    Alright! I'm part of the blackberry crowd for the first time in my life. Ended up getting a gently used Bold 9900. It's in great condition and at half the price (USD 200) I won't feel too bad if I choose to upgrade to something else. This way I can test the waters a bit. Been playing on it for an hour and already in love! I just feel so .. I think FAST and productive is the only way to describe it and it's a pleasure not having to point and poke at a touchscreen. The keyboard is thai/english but if that becomes a problem I can switch it out locally for about USD 15. No skin or cover, it's too beautiful to hide. I'm off to load up some credit, set up BB services and set up email. For some reason I couldn't do that on wifi! Any recommendations on must have apps? I need a currency converter for one. Also looking into this syncml app by funambol. Apparently it's the best way to get contacts into the phone and keep them updated across OSX and my iPad. Thanks for all the advice here people - much appreciated. The Q10, I played with again in person, not bad at all. I'll give it 6 months and see if I feel the need to upgrade. What really struck my eye was the Porsche Design 9981. Overpriced but man was it sexy!
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    07-08-13 04:55 AM
    Have a look at the BL Hybrid OS's, if you think the phone is good now just load up one of these babies and see it come alive !!!

http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...evices-736988/

As for Apps, have a look at Advance OS and LED, very small footprint but boy, does it do an awful lot !!!
    Kevin Lim likes this.
    07-08-13 09:20 AM

I had my 9930 for a long time, and I absolutely loved it. Even though it is technically 2 years old or so, it's still new to you out of the box, so it should work great. Plus, OS7 is a great operating system, hard to go wrong with it.

BlackBerry Z10 | Verizon | 10.1.0.4537
    07-08-13 09:48 AM
72 123