Hello,

I have just arrived in HK last week from Canada. And I am currently trying to look for a phone with data plan.

I have asked around. And found out that you have to pay more for the BIS data package in HK. I understand that different country has different plans available. So my question is, can i use a normal data plan without the BIS system and can i still access the appworld, facebook, whatsapp, and bbm? (basically those are all the apps that i will be using) And i have read on some forums that there is actually an "app" for the push email function. But can anyone shine a light as to which one or atleast the name of the app?

And also, want to ask, if i'm buying a second hand 9780, what are the things that i should be checking? Like i saw a couple of ads selling blackberries saying working PIN, and what not. Do i have to specifically test the PIN out when i'm looking at the phone? Or its a given that all Blackberrys will be fine doing the BBM and such?

Thank you in advance. Really looking forward in getting the BB just want to make sure i'm not over paying for something that i can get it for cheaper.

Pl4ter
    03-10-11 03:15 AM
    No, you can't use a normal data plan for App World, Facebook, BBM, push email etc.
    All data on BlackBerries goes through RIM's BIS servers, so you will need a BB data plan to use those apps.

When buying a second hand BB, make sure the original owner has released the PIN/IMEI from their BIS account.
    Never assume a working PIN, always check first.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-11 03:08 PM
    thanks for the reply. But i have been searching around google. And found some sites that tells you to modify the service books? Is that even a way to get the BIS bypass?

Also, you mentioned that i have to make sure the PIN/IMEI number is released. Is there anyway i can check that on the phone when im buying it from the seller? Like from the menu, or from special input into the phone.

Thanks
    03-10-11 08:25 PM
    Did you not wanting to go for a BIS plan in HK? If so there isn't many way s to go around it.

I would think BIS data plans are relatively cheap over in HK?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-11 03:37 AM
    well...here is the break down for HK BIS data plan compared to normal ones.

for normal data plan. ~200HKD can get you around 1000 mins of talk time and around 400-500MB of data.

For BIS data plan. its 250-300HKD for 10MB data and 600-800 mins of talk time. Or you can go for ~400HKD for unlimited data and 600 mins of talk time.
    03-11-11 06:26 AM
    thanks for the reply. But i have been searching around google. And found some sites that tells you to modify the service books? Is that even a way to get the BIS bypass?

Also, you mentioned that i have to make sure the PIN/IMEI number is released. Is there anyway i can check that on the phone when im buying it from the seller? Like from the menu, or from special input into the phone.

Thanks
    No, the service books will not allow you to bypass having a BB data plan. As Phil clearly pointed out, in order to use any appication or feature that requires data, i.e., email, BBM, web browsing etc, you must subscribe to and have an active BB data plan provisioned on the account. If you're using an unlocked bb from one carrier on another carriers service, then you must register the BB on the network of the carrier its going to be used on and have that specific carrier's service books on the device.
    03-11-11 07:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD