hey guys.....new BB user here. I've used android for about 2 years, and windows mobile 8 for about 6 months. just purchased a bold 9930 yesterday. keyboard is great and i like the form factor. however, i'm totally clueless on how to use blackberry.

i've tried searching on the forums, but i get pieces of info, sometimes it's incoherent to me. here are a few questions/issues i have:

1. what is BIS? is it needed for my phone? i've signed up for a blackberry ID so i can download and install apps (it's tied to my personal @outlook.com email acct).
    2. i noticed an issue with my volume rocker. it works when i'm watching a video or listening to music, but i'd like to use it to adjust ringer volume or toggle profiles. but that doesn't seem to work. is there something wrong with my phone, or is that 'working as designed'?
    3. i'm currently using lifeinpocket for turn by turn nav, but it feels so out dated compared to google nav on android (or even HERE Drive on my lumia). is there a better free version available? or will i need to pay for something like a garmin app?
    4. i read that google voice app was removed recently, and i have to use the web app (which i did create a shortcut as a favorite). however, i don't get push notifications when i get a text message. is there a way to set that up?
    5. What's BBM? i heard it's really nice, but i have 0 friends that use BB, so is it pointless for me to use? is it only a blackberry-to-blackberry thing?
    6. last question....probably over-used in the forums....but any tips for apps? i have my usual suspects installed (weather, bank, evernote, etc), but i'm really stupid with the blackberry ecosystem.

thanks everyone for putting up with the noob questions. i haven't decided whether or not i'll keep the 9930 or go back to my lumia. i really want to like this phone.....the form factor is amazing. i know the q10 will be available soon, but i think the keyboard layout is better on the 9930 (atleast judging by pictures).

phone vitals (is this up to date????????)
    bb bold 9930, 7.1 Bundle 2123 (v7.1.0.755, Platform 5.1.0.553)
    verizon wireless
    03-31-13 06:07 PM
    1. what is BIS? is it needed for my phone? i've signed up for a blackberry ID so i can download and install apps (it's tied to my personal @outlook.com email acct).
    BlackBerry Internet Service. Yes, you need it but most US Carriers tack it on free.
    2. i noticed an issue with my volume rocker. it works when i'm watching a video or listening to music, but i'd like to use it to adjust ringer volume or toggle profiles. but that doesn't seem to work. is there something wrong with my phone, or is that 'working as designed'?
    I don't think it will toggle Profiles (the Z10 does), but I'm not sure.
    3. i'm currently using lifeinpocket for turn by turn nav, but it feels so out dated compared to google nav on android (or even HERE Drive on my lumia). is there a better free version available? or will i need to pay for something like a garmin app?
    Depends on your carrier; for example, TeleNav is free with Sprint. Also, BlackBerry Navigator will give you turn by turn directions and is free.
    4. i read that google voice app was removed recently, and i have to use the web app (which i did create a shortcut as a favorite). however, i don't get push notifications when i get a text message. is there a way to set that up?
    Nope. But you can set up Google Voice to forward your Google Voice texts to your number, and if you reply via the SMS app it'll show as coming from your Google Voice number.
    5. What's BBM? i heard it's really nice, but i have 0 friends that use BB, so is it pointless for me to use? is it only a blackberry-to-blackberry thing?
    BlackBerry Messenger. Yes, it's only between BlackBerrys. It's pretty freaking cool tho IMO.
    6. last question....probably over-used in the forums....but any tips for apps? i have my usual suspects installed (weather, bank, evernote, etc), but i'm really stupid with the blackberry ecosystem.
    Depends on what you want to do lol. If you're looking for a specific app, just let people know and they'll generally help here on CB.
    rimaniac likes this.
    03-31-13 06:16 PM
    thanks for the info. i have another question....when using data, i see a little upload/download symbol in the upper right corner...however it's over the cellular bar icon, not the wi-fi icon. does that mean the cellular data is being used over wifi? some of my app downloads have seemed slow to be using my wifi, but maybe it's just me being paranoid.
    03-31-13 11:20 PM
    unrelated question: why did you not go with a z10 instead of a 9900?

you should be able to find tons of info on this forum.
    enjoy the new phone!
    03-31-13 11:50 PM
    i went with a 9930 for the keyboard. it's the best in class, bar none. the q10 looks a little different (not as ergo-friendly), and the z10...well, let's just say i've had my fill of slate phones (droid x, droid 2, thunderbolt, razr hd, 8x, lumia 822).

i really do look forward to reading these forums. so much info though, sometimes i feel a lil lost. especially with a new OS i've never used before (first time BB user).
    04-01-13 12:16 AM
    I find Blackberry Traffic is pretty darn good at turn-by-turn navigation and it is free.
    poots1101 likes this.
    04-01-13 12:41 AM
    "i went with a 9930 for the keyboard. it's the best in class, bar none." You are so right, the phone is amazingly beautiful. Really makes a statement.
    04-01-13 04:35 AM
    thanks for the info. i have another question....when using data, i see a little upload/download symbol in the upper right corner...however it's over the cellular bar icon, not the wi-fi icon. does that mean the cellular data is being used over wifi? some of my app downloads have seemed slow to be using my wifi, but maybe it's just me being paranoid.
    Its just you being paranoid those icons for transmit/receive are always in the corner. Maybe not if you have a custom theme, but they don't relate to which signal youure using.
    04-02-13 07:03 PM
    Enjoy your new device and welcome!
    04-02-13 08:32 PM