Hi Everyone, I've had my 9700 for almost 3 weeks now, and I've figured it out for the most part. I'm running BIS (Gmail only) on Telus, with OS: v5.0.0.442 (Platform 5.1.0.121).

I have a few problems I'm still trying to solve and I've looked all over the forums and haven't really found anything. I'm hoping some of you guys can help.

Problem 1: The famous syncing problem with Gmail. After getting my blackberry, I installed google sync, and it screwed up my contact list big time. It duplicated contacts, deleted contacts, and even renamed and moved around contact info to other entries. At the time I had contact syncing enabled on BIS, google sync, and the facebook app. I've since un-installed google sync, and disabled BIS contact sync. At the time I have "Allow Duplicate Contacts Enabled, since google sync required it, I have since disabled that as well. I tried turning on BIS contacts sync the other way and it added a bunch of email addresses that I had merged on my BB by hand. It seems like I need a more robust way to sync and manage contacts...

I still have some duplicate contacts on my BB, but I've been working to delete them as I go. I realize I'm going to have to look through them to make sure they're all accurate.

My question is: How does syncing with gmail work on BB? is there a way I can make sure my gmail and BB lists are the same, then delete my BB list, edit my contacts on gmail then sync back? It seems like the only option right now.
    After I fix my contacts, how can I set up sync so that no more duplication occurs, but my contacts are still synced?

How do other people sync their gmail contacts? What settings and apps do you use?

Problem 2: How do I do a full power down through the OS? Everytime I say "Full Power Down" it just goes to sleep, and starts up in a few seconds when I hit the power button. How can I do a power down like you would achieve with a battery pull, without physically pulling the battery.

Problem 3: I have read that I require 120 000 000 Bytes or 114 MB of memory free to ensure full speed operation of my BB. I currently only have approx 15 apps installed and I'm running around 110 000 000. Is this normal? Can I store apps on my memory card to save space? (Could this be because of my contact list?)

Problem 4: I am on the Telus 3G network, yet it still takes a while to load pages on the browser. Some pages don't even run at all. I expect this is why so many people complain about the browser on these forums? What kind of performance are other 3G Telus users experiencing? For example: Can anyone run googlewave properly?

Problem 5: My screen darkens randomly when I am using my BB. Is there a weird power saving setting somewhere I am missing?

I really hope people can help me out here. I heard so many great things about BBs, that I decided to get one. Things seem a little buggy right now, due to poor software. I've tried asking my friends who work at RIM about the gmail syncing problems, but they just blamed google... lol

Any help would be appreciated!
    06-04-10 03:58 PM
    i'll take a few.

Problem 2:
    1. Press Left alt
    2. Press Right aA
    3. Press Del
    4. Hold all 3 until reboot

Problem 5:
    Options
    Screen/Keyboard
    Backlight Timeout: SET
    Automatically Dim Backlight: SET

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-10 04:10 PM
    Problem 3: this is complete bull, dont even think about this... you need to worry once you get under 25MBs, before that isnt an issue

problem 4: sounds to me like the OS... try upgrading to the latest OS and that issue should be resolved... some OSs have bugs like this, some are fixed in others... try upgrading and see if that helps... if not then come back and we can figure something out
    06-04-10 04:23 PM
    Problem 4 Depends upon what sites you are talking about. Currently Flash is not supported for example. If the website uses Flash to render it won't work for you. Many times there will be an error message but not always. Good luck and Welcome to Crackberry.

06-04-10 04:42 PM
    Problem 3: this is complete bull, dont even think about this... you need to worry once you get under 25MBs, before that isnt an issue

problem 4: sounds to me like the OS... try upgrading to the latest OS and that issue should be resolved... some OSs have bugs like this, some are fixed in others... try upgrading and see if that helps... if not then come back and we can figure something out
    For problem 3: I have actually noticed some lag lately since I installed a bunch of apps. I'm not sure how much memory I was using before, but now I'm below that 114 MB line. Sometimes I press a the red button and it takes a second or two to go back to the home screen. How many apps do people normally run?

Thanks for the replies so far! I guess .442 is getting old now? Would .680 be my best bet? Where can I find a change log between versions? Would my ridiculously screwed up contact list cause slow downs?

I would really love a reply from someone who has had to deal with the duplicating contacts problem. That's what really bugs me the most right now.
    06-04-10 04:51 PM
    Problem 4 Depends upon what sites you are talking about. Currently Flash is not supported for example. If the website uses Flash to render it won't work for you. Many times there will be an error message but not always. Good luck and Welcome to Crackberry.

the uZard browser for BlackBerry supports Flash. It's in beta stages but works pretty well. i've been using it for a week or so. Flash is a bit slow to load but it works!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/uzard-browser-476216/

06-04-10 04:55 PM
    For problem 3: I have actually noticed some lag lately since I installed a bunch of apps. I'm not sure how much memory I was using before, but now I'm below that 114 MB line. Sometimes I press a the red button and it takes a second or two to go back to the home screen. How many apps do people normally run?

Thanks for the replies so far! I guess .442 is getting old now? Would .680 be my best bet? Where can I find a change log between versions? Would my ridiculously screwed up contact list cause slow downs?

I would really love a reply from someone who has had to deal with the duplicating contacts problem. That's what really bugs me the most right now.
    i have close to 35 apps on my device and i have close to 135MBs free... now the reason why my MBs free is higher is because i delete CODs out of the java folder (DO NOT do this unless you know what you are doing) because i install my OSs

I would suggest upgrading the OS (How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) with AppLoader | CrackBerry.com)

also (i know it sucsk and is a limitation of the OS) but after installed alot of apps, i highly recommend doing a battery pull or a soft reset (left alt, right shift, del (hold them all down (like doing ctrl alt del on your PC))

as for the contacts, i really cant comment on that as i use a BESx so...
    06-04-10 06:19 PM
    Which OS should I be looking at upgrading to? I have the latest official release from Telus.

BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.726 (All Languages)

Package Version: 5.0.0.726
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 5.0.0.442
    Software Platform: 5.1.0.121
    File name: 9700AllLang_PBr5.0.0_rel726_PL5.1.0.121_A5.0.0.442 _Telus_Mobility.exe
    File size: 151.26MB
    Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

Which of the unofficial OS releases should I be looking at?

Thanks.
    06-07-10 04:32 PM
    I only use Google Sync for contacts without issues. Maybe doing a backup of your good contact list, deleting ALL address books from your Berry, and reinstalling Google Sync will help you out. If your good contact list is not on your Google account, you can import it to the account on a PC and then use Google Sync after you have your contacts correctly set up on Google.

06-08-10 12:17 AM
    This is what i recommend you upgrade to:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/ne...isalat-476616/
    06-08-10 09:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD