Hi ya'll...

I am a new to Blackberry. I bought a Bold 9700 in Dec. 09 and I love it. I also baby it, like I am sure alot of you folks do as well. After owning it for only 4 months and not a single scratch on it, nor ever dropping it.. I pulled it out of my front pocket the other day after a 5min bicycle ride around the block... to my horror .... the LCD had turned white with two black ovals and a couple visible lines running through. I could not believe that just the pressure of being in my front pocket would damage the LCD like that. And I dont wear tight emo jeans!!

Anyways.. I am a little disappointed in the wimpiness in the screen, but Im not blaming RIM... I guess I should have kept it in a holster and not in my front pocket while riding a bicycle..

Anyone have advice for me....
    I know I can get a OEM replacement 002/111 screen on ebay for around $100 shipped. I also know there are a ton of youtube video's out there giving detailed instructions on how to disassemble and reassemble.

Has anyone done this replacement before with some tips?
    Does everything seem to go back together and function like new?
    After you take it apart and put it back together, do parts seal back together like new? Do some parts feel loose? I want to take my time and do it right because otherwise it'll bother me if something is slightly off.

Anyone know where I can get a good used replacement LCD for less?

From what I understand the lens and LCD are one? So if I were to find a used one, there is no way I can Frankenstein my current flawless lens with a good used LCD that may have a scratched lens?

Sorry for the length of this.. thanks for your time.

Joel
    04-20-10 04:13 PM
    u an try here BlackBerry 9700 Spare Parts Wholesale | BlackBerry 9700 Replacement Parts replacement screen cost $99.99 what carrier are u with?
    04-20-10 04:18 PM
    I am with AT&T
    04-20-10 04:19 PM
    do u have the $4.99 insurance??? i also sent u a private message
    Last edited by sfjon918; 04-20-10 at 04:33 PM.
    04-20-10 04:30 PM
    That is a negative on the insurance...
    04-20-10 04:40 PM
    u should have spent the $4.99.. there's loop holes u can use... oh well u can try searching google under 9700 replacement screens
    04-20-10 04:45 PM
    Bummer dude, sorry to hear that. I just dropped my phone this morning for the first time and my heart just broke. I can't imagine how you feel. I say if your comfortable diy-ing it then more power to you, if not then do the insurance thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-10 05:03 PM
    I am comfortable replacing it, as long as others have done it..

Also, just to make sure it is just the LCD, when the screen is asleep or turned off... and pitch black... you cant see any cracks or anything that indicates that it has damage. It is only when the backlight is on and the phone is active, that you see the damage.
    04-20-10 05:07 PM
    From my understanding with the insurance policies.. you had to signup within 30 or 60 days or something like that from the date you bought the phone? I remember looking it up just recently and realizing I was past that period.

Also they usually require a deductible if you are replacing a damaged phone.

I guess its worth it if you break a $400 phone within your first year of owning it..

My previous experience w/ cellphone insurance, I paid $5.99/month for 3yrs and then finally when I damaged my phone and wanted to replace it, they wanted a $50 deductible... so I spent over $260 to replace a phone which could be had for less than that new by that time. I know that is how insurance works and it is a risk as well as protection against risk. .. but I guess that incident turned me off from getting insurance when I got THIS new phone...
    04-20-10 05:15 PM
    I have the same phone with AT&T and the insurance plan for BB is much better - yea you have to pay the 50$ but after that they give you a new phone. So new BB for 50$. Also call them up and ask if you can still put the insurance plan on to your account I am not sure how long it is that AT&T period is. The other advice is I know that the device is under manufacture warranty for the first year. There are some things that are not protected but I think accidental damage could be one. So explain the situation and see what their response is. It is worth the try I would say after that you should start looking for replacement screen.
    04-20-10 05:23 PM
    great thread bro
    04-20-10 06:59 PM
    The question is... who do I call.. AT&T, RIM, or 3rd party I purchased from: Lets Talk(Wal-mart's mobile division) HA!

I swear when I read through all their paperwork, each company directs you to one of the other companies for issues. AT&T directs you to the manufacturer, RIM directs you to your carrier.. etc..

I'll have to call Blackberry today and see what they say.. since they hold the 1yr warranty.. couldn't hurt to try
    04-21-10 10:00 AM
    All types of insurances are a scam. But to answer your question, I've replaced plenty of LCD's and its pretty easy. Just watch the tutorial a couple times untill you feel comfortable and go to work, patience,,

04-21-10 10:07 AM
    putting everything back together is easy. just make sure with the bezel you push the plastic in so it secures, if you dont then it wont be flush with the sides
    04-21-10 03:08 PM
    I have the same phone with AT&T and the insurance plan for BB is much better - yea you have to pay the 50$ but after that they give you a new phone. So new BB for 50$. Also call them up and ask if you can still put the insurance plan on to your account I am not sure how long it is that AT&T period is. The other advice is I know that the device is under manufacture warranty for the first year. There are some things that are not protected but I think accidental damage could be one. So explain the situation and see what their response is. It is worth the try I would say after that you should start looking for replacement screen.
    This is the route I would go first. If they are not willing to deal, then try doing it yourself. If they do give you the warranty then essentially you saved money.

Good luck!

Also I have worked out in jeans before and my screen looks like new after the fingerprints of course, lol! Maybe a faulty screen?

04-21-10 03:23 PM
    Did u get your screen fixed then eventually......i was also cracked the LCD on my BB storm and i didnt wanted to experiment on the phone by dissambling and assembling,so i sent it to this repair center near my place that specializes in Blackberry Repair and they did a wonderful job on the LCD....u might give them a shot at Blackberry Bold Repair
    06-15-10 10:50 AM
    I cracked my screen in the same way you did, in my pocket at the gym. Heartbreaking to say the least, it was a refurb but it was rock solid and perfect. Took it in to a cell phone repair shop, got it back 2 days later. The light leaks from the bezel were brutal, I ended up taking the bezel off and putting it back on 2 times and still it was really loose. Tried double sided tape, regular glue and still it was loose. Applied some crazy glue and its solid now, just hoping there is no type of keyboard failure or anything that requires taking the bezel off
    06-15-10 11:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD