I'm new to blackberry after getting fed up with the iphone. I was thinking of getting the bold until i read about this. I have a major dilema now since i already sold my iphone, should i buy the bold now or buy a cheap second hand phone now and wait for the onyx because i can't get both since i'm on a tight budget.
    Thanks
    09-14-09 10:10 AM
    Hold out for the Onyx release, it should be out mid November.

Maybe when you are able to directly compare the two in a store and test both for ease of typing etc etc you will then be able to decide which is best for you.

The Onyx when it is out will be the best blackberry available but the Bold is a great device too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-09 10:30 AM
    Wait for the 9700, it's Q4 of this year supposedly so you don't have long to wait and it'll be worth it IMO for the better camera, wifi and a trackpad.
    Last edited by codito; 09-14-09 at 10:36 AM. Reason: adding additional reasons the 9700 is worth waiting for
    09-14-09 10:35 AM
    To be honest don't take our opinions.. its completely up to u.. ur choice so make the RIGHT choice for YOU.
    09-14-09 10:41 AM
    I'm new to blackberry after getting fed up with the iphone. I was thinking of getting the bold until i read about this. I have a major dilema now since i already sold my iphone, should i buy the bold now or buy a cheap second hand phone now and wait for the onyx because i can't get both since i'm on a tight budget.
    Thanks
    I know it doesn't help but I've got the same dilemma!
    Worst still, I don't have a contract at the moment (which means I'm BB-less), just WAITING for the Onyx to be released.
    09-14-09 10:52 AM
    I say wait..its only about a month and half to wait..then you can make a better decision as to which is best for you...as for me i waiting for the onyx...wifi trackpad 3g same key size as the bold 3.2 mega. cam. not as big as the bold..and no touchscreen.
    09-14-09 10:57 AM
    I know it doesn't help but I've got the same dilemma!
    Worst still, I don't have a contract at the moment (which means I'm BB-less), just WAITING for the Onyx to be released.
    You're not alone. I'm using a TracFone until the 9700 comes out. I had the Bold but returned it because I didn't want to get into a contract with the 9700 due out soon.

The Tour scared me because it was touted as the VZW flagship BB but seemed cheap to me. I'm waiting to compare the Bold and 9700. If the 9700 disappoints (hope it doesn't) I would go back to the Bold. The plus would be that the Bold should be a lot cheaper after the 9700 debuts.

My advice to the OP is wait another month and see.
    09-14-09 11:09 AM
    I want to get the Onyx, but I'm hearing it's going to cost $399 WITH a contract on Rogers.
    That's pretty steep when it's not that huge of an upgrade from the Bold. I really hope it won't be that much. Hoping for $299 max.
    09-14-09 01:08 PM
    I want to get the Onyx, but I'm hearing it's going to cost $399 WITH a contract on Rogers.
    That's pretty steep when it's not that huge of an upgrade from the Bold. I really hope it won't be that much. Hoping for $299 max.
    I doubt it'll cost 400 with a contract. That's only $100 more than the 8900 without a contract, and the 8900's only $150 with. I'm hoping more for $200.
    09-14-09 01:30 PM
    I sold my iphone for the 8900, which I'm using as a substitute phone until Tmo's 9700 is released. I would have gotten another Bold but I got Tmo to give me free UMA/@home for my lines so the 8900 was a better fit and it's cheaper.
    09-14-09 01:41 PM
    its $299 with 3 yr contract.. $600 with no contract
    09-14-09 01:45 PM
    Like everyone else I would wait. Pick up a cheap phone or used 8300 series for now. Once the release is set you can decide on either phone then. I had two bolds before, and wasn't too impressed with either one. Actually I think I was one of the small percentage that got lemons. My first Bold died, so I exchanged under warranty, the second one was a refrub, which had some of the same software bugs that a lot of people experience. I got rid of it and picked up a good 8310 which is a absolute workhourse. I love it, but the 8300 series is showing its age compared to the latest and greatest out there. Personally I will wait for the 9700, if I like it I will buy it if not I will hold out until BB releases a newest flagship. Which we all know doesn't take long at all.
    09-14-09 01:45 PM
    Wait for the 9700, it's Q4 of this year supposedly so you don't have long to wait and it'll be worth it IMO for the better camera, wifi and a trackpad.
    The Bold *does* have wifi, but the 9700 will have a better camera and the trackpad. Also more memory and slightly smaller design.
    09-14-09 02:24 PM
    i have the same dilemma, my upgrade is due in a couple of weeks and i'm waiting to get my first BB. I've decided to wait for the onyx cos i think the trackpad, smaller form factor and better camera will really make the difference compared to the bold.

as a couple of ppl have said tho, its completely a personal thing. A couple of my family members have 8900's and the trackball is beginning to act up, that's what really swung it for me (both 8900's are less than a yr old)
    09-14-09 03:53 PM
    The trackball's great for what it is, but the trackpad is just a better piece of equipment. Trackballs are too prone to problems.
    09-14-09 04:18 PM
    Hold out for the Onyx release, it should be out mid November.

Maybe when you are able to directly compare the two in a store and test both for ease of typing etc etc you will then be able to decide which is best for you.

The Onyx when it is out will be the best blackberry available but the Bold is a great device too.

You can't assume the Onyx will be the best BB available, if you put it on paper the Tour is the best BB available now, but not when you physically have it with all the problems they've had! Also the Storm 2 is releasing around the same time...
    09-14-09 04:38 PM
    I'm waiting to compare the Onyx in person to the Bold. I was going to get the Bold but decided to wait a little longer then checked on here to find reports of this new device coming. I can't wait to see one of these in person.
    09-14-09 04:48 PM
    You could wait for the Onyx so u can compare them both. The Bold is such a great BB though. It is their flagship model and will be around for awhile. U won't be disappointed if u choose the the Bold.

09-15-09 08:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD