hey guys, as the topic states I am a new user of the Blackberry bold 9650, recently switching to it from my iphone 4. I just have a few questions about this phone that I am unsure of.

1.) With the iPhone, apps and programs ran in the background after exiting them and required you to manually close them out by double tapping the home button. Do apps run in the background of Blackberry's? and if they do, how can you end them so that they are not running constantly and draining battery.

2.) I was sending some longer txt messages today to a friend of mine I got a message on my screen saying "MMS mode, extra charges may incure" or something similar to that. After I sent the messages, it then said "SMS Mode" on the screen again. He said he got the texts and everything, but what does the "extra charges may incur" mean and I am actually being charged money to send a longer text message? I use Verizon Wireless, CDMA network.
    08-12-11 09:23 PM
    hey guys, as the topic states I am a new user of the Blackberry bold 9650, recently switching to it from my iphone 4. I just have a few questions about this phone that I am unsure of.

1.) With the iPhone, apps and programs ran in the background after exiting them and required you to manually close them out by double tapping the home button. Do apps run in the background of Blackberry's? and if they do, how can you end them so that they are not running constantly and draining battery.

2.) I was sending some longer txt messages today to a friend of mine I got a message on my screen saying "MMS mode, extra charges may incure" or something similar to that. After I sent the messages, it then said "SMS Mode" on the screen again. He said he got the texts and everything, but what does the "extra charges may incur" mean and I am actually being charged money to send a longer text message? I use Verizon Wireless, CDMA network.
    1) You can press and hold the menu(BlackBerry) button and it will activate the application switcher. From there you will be able to see any open apps on your phone. I find I always have 5 apps open that don't close; home, BBM, phone, messages, and browser.

2) I am not sure about this one because I have never seen this message before. I can tell you that on my plan with Sprint, it includes unlimited messaging and I would not get charged anything extra. I would check your plan and see what it includes. Maybe someone else with VZ will be able to answer this question better.

Hope I helped
    08-12-11 10:51 PM
    The five apps already mentioned can't be shut down. As for other apps, you can usually press the menu key and choose "sign out," or "close," or "exit," depending on the application. Some applications you can close or exit out of by pressing the "escape" (curved arrow) key.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-11 11:55 PM
    I have Verizon and I do not get extra charges with my unlimited SMS package as it includes MMS also. I understand thar Verizon's SMS can only send 160 characters so to get around this, the 9650 switches to MMS mode and breaks your message into pieces shorter than 160 rather than you having to do it. So when you see the MMS notification you will know you are over the 160. It switches back to SMS to prepare for your next note.

Hope that helps. And welcome!!! :-)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    08-13-11 02:18 PM
    Thank you guys, all very helpful =)

One last question. Is it possible to replace the dark silver/grey bezel around the outside of the phone without having to remove the entire face plate? I really like the black on black look that the 9780's have and was wondering if its possible to switch this part out. Thanks again.
    08-13-11 03:05 PM
    hi bryann, welcome to cb and g'luck with your new bold

if i may add, with the msging changing to "mms mode", if i'm not mistaken these charges would apply not just to you, but also to the person on the rec'ing end of the msg. As long as you both have unlitmd sms/mms package there won't be any extra chgs for them to recieve the "mms mode" message.

as for swapping out the bezel, i would google some vid's on youtube or even do a search within the 9650 forum here on CB. i'm sure someone has done it at some point and you may even come across instructions on 'how to' as well G'Luck !!
    08-13-11 03:17 PM
    On your messaging question:

Check the options in your message app.
    Messages > options > text messaging. The first option allows you to disable the automatic switch to mms mode when the message gets too long. Select "always sms"

Some carriers will allow a long sms message to be broken up into two or more messages automatically and some don't.

This advice applies to os6

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-11 07:15 AM
    Thank you guys, all very helpful =)

One last question. Is it possible to replace the dark silver/grey bezel around the outside of the phone without having to remove the entire face plate? I really like the black on black look that the 9780's have and was wondering if its possible to switch this part out. Thanks again.
    I won't recommend it since it will void ur warranty
    An alternative way would be using case or protector like Otterbox Commuter series (I use it) or any other brand.

Welcome to CrackBerry nation
    08-14-11 07:38 PM
    I have had the "mms" thing pop up on mine and have never incurred any extra charges that I know of - and as far as the silver thing goes, I found an awesome case on ebay - you can find them anywhere so I would definitely try looking for a case first! Welcome to the BB world - glad to see you made the wise decision of switching :-D
    08-15-11 12:12 AM
    Welcome, I have also made the switch from Iphone 4 to BB. Took me a couple of days to get used to it.
    08-15-11 12:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD