Old time 8900 user here just upgraded to a 9780. OS 6 is nice, still tryin' to get used to it. Any tips for this phone? Recommended apps maybe?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-11 04:45 PM
    Welcome to the forums.

Tips? Get to the blogs and the 101s on OS6.

Apps? Well I bet you had some on the 8900? Why not start with those? It isn't like there is a whole new world of apps for OS6...
    Last edited by diegonei; 07-29-11 at 08:18 PM.
    07-29-11 08:16 PM
    First things first, welcome to the world of OS6. Get the latest 600 release and you'll be a happier man.

As much as the animated themes are luring, stay away from it as it drains memory severely. I had 3 different themes and noticed a massive lag in response.

As for apps, I have so many that it's gonna be too long to list them here. It's all up to you based on your interests.
    07-30-11 12:23 PM
    Welcome! There is a lot of useful information on these forums. I have customized my BB to get the best usage for my preferences. Here are some tips I find useful.
    1-Sound profiles. Customize your ringtones and alarms so that each application has a unique alert.
    2. Battery saving tips:Under Options, set your dimness lower (maybe 50%) so that your screen is not as bright. Set your device to 'automatically' dim in low light. Turn off GPS so that your device is not constantly trying to find its location (unless you use applications that heavily rely on GPS like weather or maps). Set your app preferences so that they are refreshing at low intervals (every few hours).

3. Memory saving tips: Set up memory clearing under Advanced Security settings in Options. Uninstall any apps you don't use. Shrink your OS to remove any unwanted .cods.

4. Install the latest version of BBM through App World. Take advantage of useful RIM apps like News, Protect and Social Feeds.
    Enjoy! I'm sure you're going to love your new device. (Hope this was helpful).
    07-31-11 07:24 AM
    Best tip I can give you is to not load your new device up with a lot of software you do not need or will use. Delete any software that came on your device that you do not want.

Memory is critical
    07-31-11 07:33 AM
    My best tips in order of importance to anyone getting a new BB:
    1. Check that you have data. Configure your network settings for 3G.
    2. Set up email. You can choose with many web-based providers to have your contacts and calendars synced wirelessly with your device. If you do not have your contacts or calendar synced wirelessly, you will either have to import these from your computer or input manually.
    3. Configure BBM. Enter a screen name and set your options. Or, restore if you have upgraded the OS.
    4. Customize your sound profiles. Choose ringtones and alerts for specific events/application notifications.
    5. Maximize your battery settings by reducing backlight and turning off GPS if you do not run applications that require GPS.
    6. Maximize memory by deleting applications that you do not use and setting up memory cleaning in advanced security options.
    7. Download and install any applications you would like through App World or OTA. Customize the options in these applications to suit your individual preferences.
    blackberrymp likes this.
    07-31-11 02:52 PM
    Any tips for this phone?
    Return it if you still can. Trackpad is crap, bezel will loosen, and it has a notorious double-key input issue. Wait for the 9900 in a couple weeks.

07-31-11 05:21 PM
    Welcome! There is a lot of useful information on these forums. I have customized my BB to get the best usage for my preferences. Here are some tips I find useful.
    1-Sound profiles. Customize your ringtones and alarms so that each application has a unique alert.
    2. Battery saving tips:Under Options, set your dimness lower (maybe 50%) so that your screen is not as bright. Set your device to 'automatically' dim in low light. Turn off GPS so that your device is not constantly trying to find its location (unless you use applications that heavily rely on GPS like weather or maps). Set your app preferences so that they are refreshing at low intervals (every few hours).

3. Memory saving tips: Set up memory clearing under Advanced Security settings in Options. Uninstall any apps you don't use. Shrink your OS to remove any unwanted .cods.

4. Install the latest version of BBM through App World. Take advantage of useful RIM apps like News, Protect and Social Feeds.
    Enjoy! I'm sure you're going to love your new device. (Hope this was helpful).

how do you shrink your os?
    08-01-11 01:22 AM
    Return it if you still can. Trackpad is crap, bezel will loosen, and it has a notorious double-key input issue. Wait for the 9900 in a couple weeks.

Hate to admit it but your right the bezel on my phone is practically falling off. The double key issue is bad, but I still love this phone

08-01-11 02:17 AM
    Hate to admit it but your right the bezel on my phone is practically falling off. The double key issue is bad, but I still love this phone
    Hmm... Mine is as good as out of the box. I have less stutter now than ever really...

The backdoor now... It is far from the unremovable wall it was out of the box. Even taking the device out of the stock-holster opens it.
    08-06-11 03:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD