Hi All,

I'm the proud owner of a BB 9700 now.
    I have it in the UK and I'm with o2.

I've got a few questions that you may be able to help me with...
    Firstly, I was advised to run the battery down to around 1 bar before putting it on an 8 hour charge (regardless of whether it says battery full after 3 hours). However, I've been on it non stop since last night (it had 2 and a half bars in the battery when I switched it on)... it still has 1 and a half bars left!! So, if I start charging now, and it stays on charge whilst I'm at work - does this damage battery life?

The emails seem to be coming through quite quickly... they're not quite instant, some can take 4 or 5 minutes to come through - this might be down to signal when it is not on a 3G network though?

I am trying to find predictive text in the options menu to turn it on, but can't. Is this function on the 9700?

Lastly, because I'm with o2... does that mean I can ONLY use the BB browser? Or could I download Opera. I'm unsure if I'm on just a BB tariff or a proper data plan.

Thanks in advance for the support

Many thanks,
    Amnesia
    07-06-10 03:17 AM
    From what I have understood about the batteries that come with the 9700, it is best NOT to drain them completely. There are quite a few threads on this topic.

As for the emails, speed of delivery depends on the type of account that is integrated. For different types of accounts, polling times are different. I believe IMAP is constantly monitored, while POP3 accounts poll every 5 minutes or so.

Not sure about predictive text.

While I am not familiar with o2, I do believe that you can install various browsers such as Opera or Bolt with no troubles. At least I can with Rogers. Hopefully that has helped you out a bit. If anyone notices incorrect information here please let me know.
    07-06-10 03:29 AM
    Predictive text : Options > Language and Text Input > Show Text input options > check Predictive Input. For the other questions, bcook_21 is pretty much correct.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by GG1; 07-06-10 at 06:37 AM.
    07-06-10 06:34 AM
    Predictive text : Options > Language and Text Input > Show Text input options > check Predictive Input. For the other questions, bcook_21 is pretty much correct.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

wow, thanks for that tip. As for battery life, I charge my phone only when i feel i need to, but that depends solely on the fact that i will only charge it if ill be able to let it charge untill it finishes on its own. If you have 40% and youll only be able to charge it for a half hour or so, wait till you can plug it in for a longer amount of time. let the phone decide when its done charging and youll be very pleased with the batt life. Charging at night while you sleep is a good time but not every single day, if you have a good amount of power left and youre sure youll last till next bedtime, you may want to wait, at least i do and i am amazed with the batt life of this device. Good luck. BB for life.
    Last edited by Rxkiller; 07-06-10 at 11:56 AM.
    07-06-10 11:46 AM

While I am not familiar with o2, I do believe that you can install various browsers such as Opera or Bolt with no troubles. At least I can with Rogers. Hopefully that has helped you out a bit. If anyone notices incorrect information here please let me know.
    This is correct - I'm on o2 and have installed other browsers.
    07-06-10 12:05 PM
    Thanks for the advice on battery life. I have decided not to do an overnight charge (as the thing onyl takes 4 hours to charge anyway) but hang on until I get to work and put it on a full charge then. It finished charging at 3pm on Tuesday and I've used it more than normal (because I'm playing with it lol) and it is still on 2 bars. If it keeps this up I will be very happy. I guess an hour each night in the evenings wouldn't hurt either if it needed a top up before bed time!

dodger_moore - as of January 2011 o2 will be introducing "unlimited internet" (up to 500mb). For aything more, we will have to begin paying. (Or so I was told in the shop).

And just a general update - I'm still loving the phone. There isn't thousands of fancy apps such as a million fart sounds for me to download... which is fine. But the fact I took it out of the box, set up my emails (through the o2email web thing) and they all came through pretty much straight away is great. The thing just works... no tweaking or shortcuts... it just does what it is supposed to!

Very pleased with it.
    07-08-10 03:02 AM
    Battery Life question:

Don't worry, charge whenever you feel you should.
    i.e. to make sure you don't run out.

You don't need to condition the battery, yes, we're a bit further in the 21st century
    07-08-10 04:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD