I've had my Verizon BlackBerry Curve 8330 for almost two years and it's been a faithful, hard-working companion and I've been hanging out in the 8330 forum all that time. Last night I got a new company-issued Verizon Bold 9650.

Early impressions are: stunning! Killer screen, 512mb on-board memory, much improved browser, and I'm lovin' the WiFi data connection. I'm on BES and the transition was seamless: all the settings and favorites transferred automatically, even Password Keeper, and my BBM contacts were automatically switched over to my new PIN.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Last edited by jbeachy; 07-02-10 at 01:34 AM.
    07-02-10 01:30 AM
    It's an amazing device. Enjoy your Bold!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-10 02:39 AM
    Hey jbeachy...Welcome to the 9650 forum!!!!
    I too was a Curve 8330 owner for many years and you and I ran in the same circles for many years! This phone is the bomb!!!!
    You're gonna love it, but there's a lot to learn. Make sure you come back if you have any questions. Lots of helpful people here!
    07-02-10 09:28 AM
    Ditto, loved my curve but love the 9650 so much more!
    07-02-10 09:31 AM
    Also had an 8330 for almost a year, but loving my Bold even more!
    07-02-10 03:09 PM
    Another 8330 to 9650 switch here. I'm happy but I have to admit a little unwhelmed. I guess I was too excited for the new phone, but its not too much different from the other one. A little more memory, nice screen, and the trackpad I guess. I'm looking for something interesting to do with it now. Any ideas?

Also how do you know you're working off wifi rather than the data network?
    07-03-10 03:58 PM
    8330 to 9650 is more than a little more memory...

07-03-10 04:06 PM
    Another 8330 to 9650 switch here. I'm happy but I have to admit a little unwhelmed. I guess I was too excited for the new phone, but its not too much different from the other one. A little more memory, nice screen, and the trackpad I guess. I'm looking for something interesting to do with it now. Any ideas?

When you are connected to Wi-Fi your Wi-Fi indicator will light up.
    07-03-10 04:16 PM
    Anyone know how to switch from the BING search engine to Google or something else?
    07-03-10 05:53 PM
    i just purchased my bold 9650 two days ago.i love the phone but when i go into memory it says i have 315 MB?i thought it was supposed to have 512MB of onboard memory?anyone have any ideas as to why mines like that?
    07-04-10 10:16 AM
    It is already stuffed to the gills with the OS and various apps - I would imagine the Wifi modules take up some space. And in a catch-22, there's probably space used on modules to manage the extra memory! (g) One would have to compare it with the Tour's full list of modules (cod files).
    07-04-10 10:47 AM
    i just purchased my bold 9650 two days ago.i love the phone but when i go into memory it says i have 315 MB?i thought it was supposed to have 512MB of onboard memory?anyone have any ideas as to why mines like that?
    I think the operating system and carrier installed apps account for the roughly 197 MB of used memory.

*Edit: looks like F2 beat me to the post.

07-04-10 10:47 AM
    Anyone know how to switch from the BING search engine to Google or something else?
    No but, I've set my oem browsers home screen to google. I also use "quick launch". This is the best app I've found in awhile and it has a "web search" feature that gives you options of searching using google,yahoo,bing and some others. A very nice app indeed and well worth it.
    07-04-10 01:01 PM
    Unfortunately you can't switch. Verizon made a special deal with Microsoft, and now the only search bar option is Bing. You CAN set google to be your start page, OR you can make the google page a favorite, those are your best work arounds.
    07-04-10 02:09 PM

Are you serious about looking for things to do with this phone you had trouble doing with the 8330?

How about downloading PodTrapper and set it to download video podcasts during the night over your home wi-fi and watch them the next day?

How about installing ALL your apps at the same time and having all of them available instead of having them languishing on your hard drive and having to pick and choose which you might use the next few days?

Purchase Garmin mobile and TURN ON your GPS and LEAVE it on and not worry about using up all your memory (oh and use it too!)

This is a start...can you think of a few more?
    07-04-10 02:55 PM

Sorry for the double post cbers, but this guy has me flabbergasted...
    what exactly DID you do with your 8330????

Did you BBM?
    Join a BBM group...or several.
    Add a couple of BBM buddies. Search the social forums. And leave the convos open. No need to worry about the memory loss now.

Download Trillian Beta. I love it. Now you can talk to friends who have Gtalk and Yahoo Messenger, too instead of BBM on Trillian. And leave that running also. No need to worry about memory! Be a social butterfly like me!

Download NFL Mobile and watch NFL network special edition programming episodes on your Bold. Try THAT on your curve 8330!

I'll be back with more if you need more ideas buddy!
    07-04-10 03:10 PM
    I didn't see an answer in the thread, sorry if I missed it. If you're with Verizon, you can't. Annoying. It's pushed by the service books. I use the Google Mobil app or just load the Google web page.

Edit: Oops, closer inspection shows two replies. Fortunately they agree with mine :-)

Last edited by jbeachy; 07-04-10 at 07:01 PM.
    07-04-10 06:57 PM
    I have had my Bold for the last 3 weeks and loving it. Much improved over my last BB
    07-04-10 07:24 PM
    Try SearchIt for best and most search options of any BB search app. Google mobile app if all you want is google.

07-04-10 09:25 PM
    The Bold is a sweet device. At least mine has been. I helped a friend set up their Curve 2, although nice, I couldn't wait to get back to my Bold. I also had several hours of hands on with the new iphone, another story. Will thread that needle soon

07-05-10 12:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD