Hi,
    I have a question for the fine expert folks here at crackberry.com. I'm wondering if I can still recover my BB or if I'm SOL.

I have a blackberry bold 9650 and me and my friends did some river tubing. My friend was carrying our bag with our cameras and cell phones ( i know that was pretty idiotic of us ) and he dropped the bag and almost drowned too.

I'm just wondering if I could still save my blackberry. I removed the battery, the sim card and the sd card immediately and dried it off. When I got home I took a bowl and covered the BB with rice. I haven't turned my BB on.

I was gonna go to verizon store but they were closed.

I have insurance but am I going to pay $50 or more for replacement? Should I lie and tell them my BB just stopped working ? I think they'd be able to tell if it got wet or not..

Thanks for your advice!
    07-17-11 12:41 AM
    Keep it in rice for 24 hours, then see if it turns on. If you file a claim with Asurion, last I herd, it's a $99 deductible.
    Just purchase a new device online, 9650's aren't really that expensive. There are some for sale here on Crackberry, in the marketplace.

Don't lie.
    Yes. They can tell if your device was damaged by water.
    Laura Knotek and ragna120k like this.
    07-17-11 01:00 AM
    There are indicators on the battery and inside the device that will turn pink when the device gets wet, so you will not be able to fool VZW.

You can try the tips given here.

If that does not work, you will need to file an insurance claim and pay your deductible, or purchase a used device, as californiablackberry suggests.
    ragna120k likes this.
    07-17-11 01:00 AM
    The battery isn't the only place they have moisture indicators; there's some inside the phone too. And if you opened it to replace those, they'll be able to tell you opened it and that voids the warranty.
    Probably best bet is to just buy a new one off ebay if the rice methods doesn't work.
    All that aside from the moral issues involved.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    69goat and ragna120k like this.
    07-17-11 01:30 AM
    Hmmm I guess I'll try the rice and see if it works in a few days. So if I file a claim, asurion will only cover $99? i thought they'd replace the phone full. ugh.
    07-17-11 01:45 AM
    Hmmm I guess I'll try the rice and see if it works in a few days. So if I file a claim, asurion will only cover $99? i thought they'd replace the phone full. ugh.
    The $99. is what you will pay. Their deductible on smart phones is $99.
    On feature phones it's $59. i believe now.
    ragna120k likes this.
    07-17-11 02:18 AM
    It would be replaced with a refurbished device after you pay the $99. It's like when you have damage to your car or house. If your deductible for your car or home insurance is $500, that's all you pay, and then the insurance pays whatever the rest of the cost is for the car or house repair.
    ragna120k likes this.
    07-17-11 02:46 AM
    aaah i see! thanks to all! .. but refurbished?? aww.. i guess better than nothing..
    07-17-11 04:02 AM
    aaah i see! thanks to all! .. but refurbished?? aww.. i guess better than nothing..
    Refurbished devices go thru rigorous testing. They are , sometimes, better than a new device, believe me. I am on my 5th device for various reasons (5 in one year) and in all cases, the refurb I got replaces the keyboard-chipping, memory-leaking one I bought last June more than sufficiently!

Yes refurbs are used. But so is that water-soaked one you have right now.
    ragna120k likes this.
    07-17-11 07:57 AM
    just want to update.. it's been 5 days now and i decided to put the battery back on.. and it didn't turn on... i see a bluish light though on top right... i dunno what that means... i guess it's dead
    07-21-11 05:52 PM
    Time to bite the bullet and go for a new one... the rice tricks only works so many times
    ragna120k likes this.
    07-21-11 06:03 PM
    yeah i just filed a claim but asurion indicates it's gonna take 3-7 business days. they wanted to replace my bold with a storm 2. lol yeah.. **** no
    07-21-11 06:10 PM
    Yeah, they are required to offer a "same or comparable" device.... To many that is a downgrade, but to people who do not know about phones, a touch screen would be something that would have a bigger "wow" factor (not saying you need it though)
    07-21-11 06:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD