Anyone think we'll be seeing netflix on this device in the future? I realize its not the biggest screen in the world, but I enjoyed videos on my iPod video for the longest time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-11 10:57 PM
    Netflix barely released their Android application, and only officially on select devices, so I think we'll be last.
    I'm sure they'll create a Windows Phone 7 app before they make a Blackberry app.
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 07-02-11 at 12:05 AM.
    07-01-11 11:04 PM
    Wouldn't hold your breath on this, or it might take a few years

07-01-11 11:34 PM
    I see it more on the playbook than any phone.
    07-02-11 12:44 AM
    Netflix barely released their Android application, and only officially on select devices, so I think we'll be last.
    I'm sure they'll create a Windows Phone 7 app before they make a Blackberry app.
    It was actually on WP7 before Android surprisingly..I think even before th iPad.

07-02-11 12:49 AM
    It was actually on WP7 before Android surprisingly..I think even before th iPad.

IT'S ALREADY ON WINDOWS PHONE 7!?!?!?!?!
    Well, wow. How sad.

We're probably never going to get it at this rate.
    07-02-11 12:55 AM
    The one good thing Netflix being an app on the upcoming Bold 9900/9930 would be similar to Sprint's Evo 4G having it. I know the Bold 99XX series will not have a HDMI chord out (like the Evo 4G) but? what if you're able to get a Netflix app on your Bold 99XX and use the micro usb chord out to say an HDMI adapter that could plug into your TV/monitor that has an HDMI in port? of course you'd have to be constantly charging your Bold 99XX while the Netflix app plays on your TV/Monitor...but could it done? any one with knowledge about this?
    07-02-11 08:55 AM
    The reason it was on the windows phone 7 before anything else was because Netflix uses Silverlight on their website to watch videos, which is a Windows language, and the same language used to design W7 apps. Android and blackberry on the other hand use Java, which can have some copyright issues with media apps. iOS devices use Apples Objective-C language which is a little better about this.

Now not 100% sure on how true java issues are with media anymore after how much java has evolved, but the main reason W7 got it was simply due to convience of Netflix already using Silverlight.
    mssca likes this.
    07-02-11 11:52 AM
    Windows and iPhone were the first 2 platforms to have Netflix and i think it is because the OS cannot be corrupted while Android seems to be hacked left and right. ANyways, the BB Bold 9900 needs Netflix because it has a 1GHZ processor or a 1.2GHZ processor and with the 4G on T-Mobile there shouldn't be buffering issues. If RIM expects to stay in the game they need to make a Netflix app happen ASAP once the 9900 is released.
    07-05-11 08:27 AM
    I'm thinking once the 9900/9930 models are released to most of the big carriers, Netflix will get on the ball.
    07-05-11 09:51 AM
    It would be a cool lil add on to have. Especially for tv shows, you know something quick to watch while you wait for the train or plane. I don't know if you would want to watch a whole movie on a 2.8 screen.
    07-05-11 10:08 AM
    I'm sure carriers like Big Red would love Netflix to do this......after 7/7 so they can soak people for big $$$ when they go over their 2gb of data on the 5th day of their billing cycle.
    07-05-11 11:45 AM
    I spoke to someone from Netflix last week. He said the issue with a Netflix app on BlackBerry is RIM's NOC. Since RIM is a Canadian company, there are issues with licensing for US users (especially since most major film/TV shows are US). They need a way to identify US users and get around BIS being tied to Canada. That is the reason for the lack of the app at this time.
    07-05-11 11:50 AM
    It would be a cool lil add on to have. Especially for tv shows, you know something quick to watch while you wait for the train or plane. I don't know if you would want to watch a whole movie on a 2.8 screen.
    I watched whole movies on my smaller-screened Bold 9000, and I certainly watch them now on my Torch, so no reason why I (or anyone else) wouldn't watch them on a 9900 if so inclined. It's very convenient on the plane -- but of course unless one is on a wifi flight (and willing to pony up the $$ for in-flight wifi), a Netflix app isn't going to do you much good.

I spoke to someone from Netflix last week. He said the issue with a Netflix app on BlackBerry is RIM's NOC. Since RIM is a Canadian company, there are issues with licensing for US users (especially since most major film/TV shows are US). They need a way to identify US users and get around BIS being tied to Canada. That is the reason for the lack of the app at this time.
    The Canadian downside. Just today, I tried to use a Facebook app on my device and was told that it was available to U.S. residents only. I get that kind of stuff fairly regularly. I don't think there is any way around it, short of RIM moving its servers to the U.S.
    07-05-11 12:31 PM
    I watched whole movies on my smaller-screened Bold 9000, and I certainly watch them now on my Torch, so no reason why I (or anyone else) wouldn't watch them on a 9900 if so inclined. It's very convenient on the plane -- but of course unless one is on a wifi flight (and willing to pony up the $$ for in-flight wifi), a Netflix app isn't going to do you much good.

The Canadian downside. Just today, I tried to use a Facebook app on my device and was told that it was available to U.S. residents only. I get that kind of stuff fairly regularly. I don't think there is any way around it, short of RIM moving its servers to the U.S.
    One solution I could see is only offering a Netflix app to customers of US carriers, such as how Pandora is only available in the US.
    07-05-11 01:04 PM
    It makes the most sense for Netflix to make an app for the Playbook. Then they would be ready for the QNX based BB's.
    07-05-11 10:34 PM

Not true. It was on the iPad before WP7 was even launched.
    07-06-11 03:47 PM
    Couldn't you setup a proxy on your phone so it thinks it is from the U.S.? Or any way to skip maybe using VPN to bypass RIMM servers?

07-09-11 08:12 PM
    I heard this latest news that talks about Netflix. In the news they mentioned that there are many individuals who are irritated about the forthcoming 60 percent Netflix cost increase. For individuals who count on Netflix as the cornerstone of their private activity routine, some challenging budgeting decisions are coming. With just some investigation, it's simple to see which Netflix plan is best for you. I am not surprise that they increased their prices because they still provide us the kind of satisfaction that we need. I found this here: Surviving the Netflix price increase
    07-18-11 05:12 AM
    >Netflix on a 2.8" screen
    >2011

I seriously hope you guys don't do this
    07-18-11 07:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD