I'll delete this thread afterwards but I just needed some quick real time help.

Currently changing bold bezel + trackball for the first time ever.

It looks incredibly simple on the cnn video, this part especially - I'm at the point where my bold is pretty much taken apart, and I need to unclip the "retainer" that holds the trackball and all to change my trackball real quick. (2 minute mark of the cnn disassembling video)

The cnn video is not zoomed in enough for me in my opinion..I can't see what his/her tweezers are hitting exactly. I have been trying for almost 10 mins and I'm worried I'm going to bend something or scratch something up. What releases the retainer that so magically pops up in the video? They hit two things and then, like the fonz, boom, it pops up. I can't find those two things.

After this I just gotta put the new tackball in, put it all back together with the new bezel and I think I'll be set. So, any help I could get here would be extremely appreciated, from those who have changed the trackball. Maybe I'm just too worried about messing it up, but I just seem to scratch the metal over and over. Can't find what two things release it all
    07-21-09 01:06 PM
    Theres 4 little metal edges 2 on each side. just pry gently with your tiny screw driver. No big deal. You won't and can't mess it up. When its popped off just bend the pins back slightly with your fingers so its nice and snug when you pop it back on.
    07-21-09 01:11 PM
    Its the two little metal tabs that connect to the track ball cover. They should be silver just like the cover, all you have to do is pull them slightly forward one by one and the front will lift up. I used a thin knife to pull the clip forward. Dont pull the clip too much or you will bend it, it tuck me a while to figure out but once you do its pretty easy.....
    07-21-09 01:12 PM
    By the way the retainer clips onto plastic notches. don't worry you can't screw this up unless you stabbed it with a screwdriver. Just pry pry pry. I'd start at opposite corners. do one corner, and then do the other. Once you pop one corner off, the rest are easy.
    On the metal retainer which sits on the trackball there is two clips on the front which you should be able to clearly see. If you can release them two the metal retainer will easily come off and then you can take out the ball housing and put in your new trackball.

Let me find you a pic
    Don't worry if you bend them. Like I said you can bend them back.

Its the two little metal tabs that connect to the track ball cover. They should be silver just like the cover, all you have to do is pull them slightly forward one by one and the front will lift up. I used a thin knife to pull the clip forward. Dont pull the clip too much or you will bend it, it tuck me a while to figure out but once you do its pretty easy.....
    07-21-09 01:13 PM
    Theres 4 little metal edges 2 on each side. just pry gently with your tiny screw driver. No big deal. You won't and can't mess it up. When its popped off just bend the pins back slightly with your fingers so its nice and snug when you pop it back on.
    Hmm..okay. I'll keep trying then. Thanks =)
    07-21-09 01:13 PM

As you can see there are four clips. From my own experience all I did was release two on one side and then the whole thing comes off. Others might tell you different.
    07-21-09 01:14 PM

As you can see there are four clips. From my own experience all I did was release two on one side and then the whole thing comes off. Others might tell you different.
    Thanks, visuals help a ton for me

Yeah, I see these two clips on the front but for some reason I just can't seem to figure out how to release them haha. I will try again though and report back.

Thanks, everyone.

"pry pry pry"
    07-21-09 01:16 PM
    GOT IT.

You guys are awesome.

Thanks for clearing my worries about messing it up/bending sh*t and all that junk.

Time to continue the video!
    07-21-09 01:19 PM
    I am not advising you to do this but I always use the tip of a thin kitchen knife. Also I don't try to release from under but from the side of the clips, If you know what I mean
    07-21-09 01:21 PM
    ^Yeah I had to do it from the side too. I kept trying under.
    Thanks =)

I'll delete the thread now. Thanks everyone!

edit: How the heck do you delete a thread? Whoops...are users not allowed to do this? Hey mods, come delete my useless thread!
    Last edited by Jonneh; 07-21-09 at 01:28 PM.
    07-21-09 01:25 PM
    Okay well since I can't delete this thread now anyway, I have another question.

I bought this: Chrome electroplate bezel for Blackberry bold 9000 W/ side button and door lock latch (Light green color)

Yes, I like it.

Anyway, I was stupid as this is my first time doing this, and, I didn't realize there is no bottom faceplate cover.
    Therefore I have everything nicely installed now and below my space bar there is basically a piece missing from my phone.

I'd like to install the bottom piece from my old bezel but I can't figure out if this is possible or how it comes out. Does it come out...?

Please advise
    07-21-09 02:00 PM
    Bump please. I'd rather not make another whole new thread for this.
    07-21-09 02:22 PM
    yes, it does come off, the clips hold it in, as well as double sticky tape. just undo the 2 clips and pull it off slowly. That got me the first time.

also I use an exacto to pop the trackball clip off. works great.
    07-21-09 05:59 PM
    yes, it does come off, the clips hold it in, as well as double sticky tape. just undo the 2 clips and pull it off slowly. That got me the first time.

also I use an exacto to pop the trackball clip off. works great.
    Thank god someone finally responded to this haha. I have PM'ed 2 separate people and even began a new thread and still no one replied for hours now. I really don't want to walk around risking dirt getting into the phone or anything like this.

Okay, I got the trackball out, my new question was about the bottom faceplate cover though. you know, the one with the carrier logo on it at the bottom of the phone? People say it just pops out but...it's not popping out. I mean, seriously, if I push anymore I am going to bend the crap outta this thing. How do you get this off to put into the new bezel?

If you're talking about the bottom faceplate, then, where are these two clips?
    07-21-09 06:05 PM
    If you're talking about the bottom faceplate, then, where are these two clips?
    Here's a pic showing the holes where the two tabs pop in:
    07-21-09 06:17 PM
    Here's a pic showing the holes where the two tabs pop in:
    Awesome, and you even used my own pic of my unfinished Bold transformation! haha :P clever.

This helps a ton for putting the piece back into the new bezel, now I just need to find these tabs on the old bezel and release them somehow so the piece is able to pop out. Since that picture has my bold sitting up right, maybe I should try with the old bezel sitting upright (i've been trying to get it out from behind)
    07-21-09 06:27 PM

Okay, I give up...please take a look at this. This is my OEM bezel (old bezel) with the piece I want out still stuck in.

Please, show me the tabs here on this side of the piece. I see the general spot and I'm pretty damn sure I even see the tabs, but I can not for the life of me figure out what to do to these tabs. I have tried pushing them in all 4 directions, pushing them in, pulling them out, with my thumbs, with my thin knife, with my screwdriver.....

What am I doing wrong here?

edit:
    Last edited by Jonneh; 07-21-09 at 06:40 PM.
    07-21-09 06:37 PM
    Okay guys I want to thank all of you for your help through this process. I got it finally but it's really only because I just got so fed up with it and figured if I ruined it I will just have to order a new bottom faceplate from ebay or wherever else. So I pretty much tore the entire thing off, ignoring any "tabs" or whatnot, and just stuck it nicely back on the new one.

Just for anyone who stumbles across this thread needing help. Though I seem to be the only one who ever really had this much trouble with this OEM bezel's bottom faceplate before haha.

Again, thanks everyone.
    07-21-09 07:01 PM
    LOL! Glad you finally got it...post pics of the phone now!
    07-21-09 07:10 PM
    Sure!
    Sorry, not very good with taking pictures of my bold. Forgive the quality.

Original bezel and trackball from Dec '08.

So all-in-all, I'm very satisfied with my purchase and the outcome. The only thing I can now confirm for myself is that these colored trackballs are simply not as good as the OEM trackball that comes with the phone. It looks okay but it's going to get some getting used to on my part...it sometimes quits scrolling and..I don't know how to explain it, it's just very odd acting. I tried playing with the sensitivity but that doesn't help because it just flies everywhere. It's like it gets stuck too easily or something. I may have to take it out and put it back in again or something. But, I'm pretty happy still.
    07-21-09 08:26 PM
    glad you got it!

I had trouble with that piece as well. totally thought i was going to break it taking it off. did not expect the double sticky tape.
    07-21-09 08:52 PM
    Awesome--glad it worked out well. Does the light green bezel look "metallic" like the OEM finish--can't exactly tell from the pics? I think I may try to pick one of those bezels up from TrueSupplier as well.
    07-21-09 08:55 PM
    <3 understanding in a car crash.
    07-21-09 08:58 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD