I dropped my Verizon BB Tour in water so it's not working. I'm on my families 2 year plan which doesnt end until December of this year. I need a new phone before then but i don't want to have to mess with our plan or anything. Is there any way I can get a used phone and just put my sim card in it and it would work? So I don't have to go to the store or anything. Please help.
    08-02-11 06:38 PM
    Verizon doesn't use a SIM.
    08-02-11 06:41 PM
    My blackberry does
    08-02-11 06:52 PM
    I dropped my Verizon BB Tour in water so it's not working. I'm on my families 2 year plan which doesnt end until December of this year. I need a new phone before then but i don't want to have to mess with our plan or anything. Is there any way I can get a used phone and just put my sim card in it and it would work? So I don't have to go to the store or anything. Please help.
    You may not need a new phone. Take the phone that was submerged in water, remove the battery, remove the SIM card, remove the memory card if you have one, and place all items in a tub of regular white rice (not the multigrain kind) and leave it there for a full two-to-three days.

Dont touch the phone during this time. Dont' try to turn it on. Dont do anything. Just leave it.

After this period of time, then see if the battery will charge and the phone will work correctly.

I recently did this with my old 9700 and it wasnt working as the keyboard seemed shorted out and was misbehaving. Only after buying a brand new 9780 for full price, did I try this rice trick that I saw online. And my 9700 works perfectly.

So before rushing out and buying a phone, see if this works as you may be lucky in saving yourself having to get a new phone as the existing one will work.
    08-02-11 07:15 PM
    place all items in a tub of regular white rice (not the multigrain kind) and leave it there for a full two-to-three days.
    And seal the tub.

If you need a "new" phone, you can get a Bold 9650 on ebay for about $150.
    08-02-11 07:21 PM
    If you look for a used phone, check in the Marketplace, but make sure it's VZW branded. The rice may work, you never know.

http://forums.crackberry.com/marketplace-f14/
    08-02-11 07:24 PM
    My blackberry does
    Your BlackBerry HAS a SIM card.

But you are NOT using the SIM card on Verizon. The SIM card is for GSM networks. Verizon uses CDMA.
    08-02-11 07:53 PM
    Thank you! I've had my phone in a bowl of rice for a 1 day so far, but I didn't think this method really worked. So hopefully I'm as lucky as you were.
    08-02-11 08:12 PM
    Another question. If I do get a "new" phone from online, how would I get all my info and phone number in that phone? And would it extend my contract?
    08-02-11 08:14 PM
    My blackberry does
    Irrelevant. As Mama said. VZW is CDMA and not GSM (no sim). If you replace the phone you will have to contact VZW or an authorized dealer to switch it over. As for extending your contract, you'll need to ask VZW.

Good luck.
    08-02-11 08:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD