I have tried to research upgrading the OS but have only ended up very confused. My phone recently started having issues switching themes, and then with the browser not displaying webpages. Last night I ended up doing 7 battery pulls to get it all working. So I think it is time I got up the courage to upgrade my phone. I am currently using ATT .405 and want to upgrade to the official ATT .979. I have only upgraded once ever using DM. When I plugged into the DM it only shows OS 6. I do not want to upgrade to OS 6 so I am assuming I must upgrade some other way. I have only backed up using DM but that doesn't back up 3rd apps or themes so I am totally at a loss on how to do all of this. Any help would be appreciated.
    07-21-11 12:54 PM
    07-21-11 03:18 PM
    Installing the new OS to your PC and then running apploader should move all your apps, data etc all in one process. Check out the link in my signature.
    catberryday likes this.
    07-21-11 03:22 PM
    Hi Catberrylady,

whew.. It looks like you have some great advice here.
    this is really an area I am not too familiar with. Let us know how you do!
    catberryday likes this.
    07-21-11 10:38 PM
    Thanks for the advice guys. It will be a few days before I can check this out. I am crossing my fingers that I can figure this out. I will let you know how it goes.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

07-22-11 02:24 AM
    Please do let us know We love hearing success stories!

07-22-11 04:19 AM
    Hey guys, I am giving this a look and on the Software Download page there is two versions of .979 a Multilanguage and All Languages. Does it matter which one I download? I only need english so I am assuming the Multilanguage is the one I want? Plus it is 30 MB less. Thanks again for your help you guys are terrific! Hopefully I will upgrade Sunday evening if not then next weekend.
    07-23-11 01:28 AM
    Ok something didn't work right, but not in a horrible way. I downloaded the OS followed the directions for apploader a window popped up and it showed my themes and 3rd party apps I clicked next did something my bb screen flickered and like 2 seconds it said finished. The bb didn't reboot or anything and nothing was changed on it. My bb is just like it was and the OS wasn't updated. I don't know where I went wrong but how do I get the OS to install?
    07-24-11 11:05 PM
    Ok something didn't work right, but not in a horrible way. I downloaded the OS followed the directions for apploader a window popped up and it showed my themes and 3rd party apps I clicked next did something my bb screen flickered and like 2 seconds it said finished. The bb didn't reboot or anything and nothing was changed on it. My bb is just like it was and the OS wasn't updated. I don't know where I went wrong but how do I get the OS to install?
    Go into the options, device, device versions and see if that changed
    07-24-11 11:11 PM
    I don't have options, device, device versions. I am running OS 5. I looked in options, about and it stills says OS 5 .405. I am trying to upgrade to OS 5 .979.
    07-24-11 11:14 PM
    I don't have options, device, device versions. I am running OS 5. I looked in options, about and it stills says OS 5 .405. I am trying to upgrade to OS 5 .979.
    Is having to not reinstall your apps extremely important to you?
    07-24-11 11:21 PM
    I want to reinstall everything I can. I am having issues when switching themes and a few little things not working now and then so I think I should upgrade. I don't want to upgrade to OS 6 or I would just use DM to do it.
    07-24-11 11:25 PM
    I want to reinstall everything I can. I am having issues when switching themes and a few little things not working now and then so I think I should upgrade. I don't want to upgrade to OS 6 or I would just use DM to do it.
    Not where I was going with it. My suggestion is:
    Backup all your information using DM with radios off
    Follow this guide http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-f...ink-os-348769/
    Unistall ANY OS on your system using control panel and delete the folders it shows there.
    Download the version of OS5 you want
    Install it
    Shrink it
    Load it with AppLoader
    Load your backed up infomation back onto the BB
    07-24-11 11:29 PM
    Ok I think maybe my problem is the OS update is not downloaded in the right place. When I try to follow the steps in the guide I am not seeing any Device Software in my program list. All I have is the Desktop Software. I know I downloaded the OS I want to install.
    07-24-11 11:39 PM
    Ok I think maybe my problem is the OS update is not downloaded in the right place. When I try to follow the steps in the guide I am not seeing any Device Software in my program list. All I have is the Desktop Software. I know I downloaded the OS I want to install.
    I dont think its so much where you download it to as much as extract/install it to
    07-24-11 11:42 PM
    I am at a loss then. I am not very knowledgeable on this. Maybe I will try to use apploader again some other time. I assume I must be missing a step even though I followed the directions for using apploader, I just don't know what it is. Thank you for taking the time to assisst me.
    07-24-11 11:49 PM
    There is someone else that posted having the same issue with app loader not installing the OS as I did. Can anyone shed some light what is going on here? You'll be helping both of us out. Thanks!

07-26-11 03:09 PM
    What I did was, and thanks to someone else that was having this trouble, use a computer that did not have DM installed on it. It worked but app loader hung on the next to the last step, some reason on the computer and after two hours I realized my bb wasn't dead. Lost my contacts and some app information but after several reboots and freezes got everything back to working order. Thank you guys for your help!
    07-31-11 12:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD