8900 - Uma
    05-22-09 09:32 PM
    I just want to say one thing. The bold build quality is not better than the 8900. Thescreen flexes when I press certain buttons around it, the back door is loose, and the bezel is scratched after using it with the oem clip holster. I dare anyone to chime in and say that it hasn't happened on theirs. These 3 issues are clearly present around bolds and half of build quality is consistency. That being said, power users (as I) am going to prefer the bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 09:51 PM
    8900 - Uma
    Uh, ATT doesn't even support UMA.

05-22-09 09:52 PM
    I just want to say one thing. The bold build quality is not better than the 8900. Thescreen flexes when I press certain buttons around it, the back door is loose, and the bezel is scratched after using it with the oem clip holster. I dare anyone to chime in and say that it hasn't happened on theirs. These 3 issues are clearly present around bolds and half of build quality is consistency. That being said, power users (as I) am going to prefer the bold.

None of the three issues you mentioned are present on my Bold.

That's three strikes...you're out!
    05-22-09 09:54 PM
    I guess reading comprehension isn't your friend. Regardless as I said I'm happy your bold doesn't have these issues. I'm aware certain bolds do not have any of these issues, but more than a few do. GM may have built a few cars that don't fall apart, but hey, their build quality still sucks. I remember the 8700, 8100, and 7200 phones. Those were solid phones. My point is basically their build quality is inconsistent if read around.

05-22-09 10:08 PM
    I guess reading comprehension isn't your friend. Regardless as I said I'm happy your bold doesn't have these issues. I'm aware certain bolds do not have any of these issues, but more than a few do. GM may have built a few cars that don't fall apart, but hey, their build quality still sucks. I remember the 8700, 8100, and 7200 phones. Those were solid phones. My point is basically their build quality is inconsistent if read around.

I guess reading comprehension of your own post is a weakness. You said you "dare" anyone to say it hasn't happened to theirs. I simply took you up on your offer.

Try again.
    05-22-09 10:11 PM
    I dare anyone to chime in and say that it hasn't happened on theirs.
    It hasn't happened on mine.

I think other things are going on with that distinct handful of folks who have experienced one or all of those problems.

05-22-09 10:28 PM
    I guess reading comprehension of your own post is a weakness. You said you "dare" anyone to say it hasn't happened to theirs. I simply took you up on your offer.

Try again.
    Reading comprehension is the ability to comprehend words, not resate them. I dared anyone to make the comment it hasn't happened o theirs because I know people"s phone were unaffected. I was merely trying to refute people like you who think just because it doesn't happen to theirs means the build quality is A-ok. The build quality is not OK on the bold or for any device that costs 300 dollars. In fact RIM knows this. And a handful of devices is underestimating the number affected. Go through the various forums and see how many independent people have been affected. Consistency is key for a phone to have good build quality. The bold does not have that. The 8900 has great build quality. Why do you think all their smartphones are moving towards that design? I guarantee you its not just for looks.

05-23-09 12:12 AM
    I would go with the Bold, Ive had both and currently own the Bold again its by far the best Blackberry out there! minus the camera!
    The Bold has a faster processor, more responsive, and the KEYBOARD is a world of a difference!! its layed out better and you can type a lot faster and more accurate on it!
    The Curve 8900 keyboard wiggles around and feels loose and "put together" its loud also when pressing the buttons

My best advice is test both out at an AT&T store, I think you will end up leaning a little towards the Bold

Good luck!
    05-23-09 07:21 AM
    Reading comprehension is the ability to comprehend words, not resate them. I dared anyone to make the comment it hasn't happened o theirs because I know people"s phone were unaffected. I was merely trying to refute people like you who think just because it doesn't happen to theirs means the build quality is A-ok. The build quality is not OK on the bold or for any device that costs 300 dollars. In fact RIM knows this. And a handful of devices is underestimating the number affected. Go through the various forums and see how many independent people have been affected. Consistency is key for a phone to have good build quality. The bold does not have that. The 8900 has great build quality. Why do you think all their smartphones are moving towards that design? I guarantee you its not just for looks.

I'm not sure where you get your information from but I used both and decided to go with the Bold. The Bold has a better quality build IMO. Generally, people will post their negative experiences rather than post their positive experiences. The Bold has been out longer so you'll see more posts about it.

The 8900 already has it's share of complaints. For me it was the loose keyboard, loose battery cover, chrome scratches easily. And the overall feel made me feel like I had to be more delicate with the phone. The Bold have none of those problems for me except for the chrome can scratch easily as well, but I have yet to scratch it. I'm very anal with my things.
    Last edited by matsuya; 05-23-09 at 11:53 AM.
    05-23-09 11:46 AM
    Go with the BOLD if you have some cash to spend.
    05-23-09 12:06 PM
    Go with the bold man you won't regret it. I refuse to use any curve like keyboard.

05-23-09 12:32 PM

Young fella, I was involved with statistical process control projects and implementations, reliability and repeatability studies, fmea analysis, q1, tfe, iso9000, et al probably before you were born. I know all about manufacturing quality assurance, process control, continuous improvement, JIT, JIT II, and defect analysis. If you understood any of this, then you understand the process of "sampling". A sample taken from anecdotal "evidence" provided in forum posts does not constitute a valid or random sample.

Now did I or anyone say that there are no Bolds with problems? No. Did I say that because my Bold had no problems that this meant that all Bolds are defect-free? No. Are there any quality issues with ANY 8900s? Sure there are. Do you (or does anyone else on these forums) have anything resembling valid statistical data to back up your sweeping generalization? No. Did I simply respond to your "dare"? Yes.

Do you wish to continue to discuss reading comprehension and your perceptions of quality control? Or, shall we get back on topic and consider actual verifiable facts and have reasoned discussion regarding the OP's original question?

Peace.

05-23-09 03:32 PM
    Young fella, I was involved with statistical process control projects and implementations, reliability and repeatability studies, fmea analysis, q1, tfe, iso9000, et al probably before you were born. I know all about manufacturing quality assurance, process control, continuous improvement, JIT, JIT II, and defect analysis. If you understood any of this, then you understand the process of "sampling". A sample taken from anecdotal "evidence" provided in forum posts does not constitute a valid or random sample.

Now did I or anyone say that there are no Bolds with problems? No. Did I say that because my Bold had no problems that this meant that all Bolds are defect-free? No. Are there any quality issues with ANY 8900s? Sure there are. Do you (or does anyone else on these forums) have anything resembling valid statistical data to back up your sweeping generalization? No. Did I simply respond to your "dare"? Yes.

Do you wish to continue to discuss reading comprehension and your perceptions of quality control? Or, shall we get back on topic and consider actual verifiable facts and have reasoned discussion regarding the OP's original question?

Peace.

Now that is what we call a response. Way to go LuvMyBB

05-23-09 03:42 PM
    Plus the bold has a 2.66ghz dual core processor compared to the 8900's 233mhz w/ mmx

hahahaHAHAHAH WTF?!? LOLOOLOL
    05-23-09 03:45 PM
    dont think

bold is better anyway
    05-23-09 04:24 PM

Peace.

= pwned
    05-24-09 12:28 PM
    i already have a bold but i bought an 8900....i wanted to have both because i like what both have to offer.....
    05-24-09 12:39 PM

Peace.

Well played sir. Well played.

I merely got the bold only because it whispered "Come young sir, have sex with me..." and I bought it.
    05-24-09 12:42 PM
    Just returned by 8900 last night and im back on my bold, The bold to me is quicker and more responsive than the curve. I kept getting the clock on the curve when switching from apps, this happens far less on the bold. 3G is much better than the edge, especially when i was using he app store.
    05-24-09 01:09 PM
    definitely bold looks alot cleaner
    05-24-09 01:19 PM
    The Bold is everything a smartphone should be and more. It's built for speed and power and beauty. The 8900 is like it's kid sister with a better camera. You definitely can't compare the keyboard.

It's well worth every penny and then some. I saved up for this phone!
    05-24-09 01:50 PM
    Bold has a 624MHZ processor, downloads at no less than 700KPS and can handle a 32GB Micro SD card...maybe just a 2 mega pixel camera, but I didn't buy a PDA with recreation as a primary purpose-that's what an i-phone is for, eh?
    I got my Bold for $99 from ATT online with a two year plan. It's refurbished, comes with all the usual accessories and has the option of the same replacement guarantee ($4.99 per month) as a new Bold which costs anywhere from $449 and up.
    The only thing an 8900 is better at than a Bold is...um...let's see...taking friggin pictures?
    05-24-09 02:10 PM
    Go BOLD for simultaneous voice/data, which is a bit more specific than just 3G (so as not to simply focus on faster data).

This was you can surf, upload pics, stream music all at the same time AND not miss ur calls.

OR you can be tethering and still make/receive calls.
    Can u really tether and make/receive calls at the same time???? I tethered once about a year ago w/a samsung phone. It worked nicely, but my connection would disconnect for voice calls. I ended up getting a wireless card separately instead. So you're saying I could say, for example, have uninterrupted browsing of these forums while talking to my wife on a bluetooth headset? ****, I might cancel my wireless card and use some of that money towards tethering and pocket the rest.

I pay $60 a month for 5gb of data for a verizon air card. How much is monthly tethering on ATT and what are the data restrictions? My use is general browsing, email, banking, product reviews, forums, etc......no file transfers or movie downloading or anything.
    05-30-09 10:59 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD