I know BBSAK allows a factory reset which disables the firewall. My past three BlackBerrys have been new from the store with firewall enabled. This prevents some apps such as Ubertwitter or Qik from working-- it gives an error about the IT policy (even though there is none)

BBSAK disables the firewall yes, but as soon as you reload your backup, the IT policy reloads itself. So my question is, when you load your backup, how do you selectively UNSELECT your previous firewall settings? Which option is it? I don't want to have to manually put everything back again.

If anyone knows how to disable the firewall WITHOUT erasing all my personal stuff, I'd appreciate it.
    And no this is not a BES phone, there is NO it policy, it was not purchased used, etc etc. This has been a question NOBODY has been able to answer--EVER
    04-22-10 12:41 AM
    I know BBSAK allows a factory reset which disables the firewall. My past three BlackBerrys have been new from the store with firewall enabled. This prevents some apps such as Ubertwitter or Qik from working-- it gives an error about the IT policy (even though there is none)

BBSAK disables the firewall yes, but as soon as you reload your backup, the IT policy reloads itself. So my question is, when you load your backup, how do you selectively UNSELECT your previous firewall settings? Which option is it? I don't want to have to manually put everything back again.

If anyone knows how to disable the firewall WITHOUT erasing all my personal stuff, I'd appreciate it.
    And no this is not a BES phone, there is NO it policy, it was not purchased used, etc etc. This has been a question NOBODY has been able to answer--EVER
    I guess you have not been talking to the right people then.

• All BlackBerrys have an IT Policy. Most have this set to zero but it is still there.
    • Removing an IT Policy usually, but not always resets the phone. SOme IT Policy parameters cannot be removed without this. It depends on what was done inside the IT Policy as to whether the phone gets reset. Reset here means wipe all personal data. Doing a sync and a Backup will avoid losing your data.
    • How did the IT Policy get there? Some programs install them and others lock the firewall. Personally I think that programmers who do this should be shot.
    • The IT Policy comes back immediately. Why is this? When an IT Policy gets put on a phone a little file called policy.bin gets created on your PC usually by the aforementioned program install and whenever you connect to Desktop Manager, the IT Policy gets put back by policy.bin.
    • Read this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/remo...y-phone-81401/ It explains how to remove an IT Policy and how to completely get rid of policy.bin and anything that points to it. I wrote this thread before OS 5 was released and a long time before BBSAK was out. BBSAK, my program CrackUtil and JL_Cmder all use the same program (javaloader) as an engine. All three programs are just front ends for javaloader. You can choose whichever one you wish to use. BBSAK is the most complete of all since I stopped development of CrackUtil about a year ago.
    04-22-10 03:27 AM
    Ok sweet. I will read the thread you poitned to on removing an IT policy and removing the policy.bin. IT is SO frustrating!
    04-22-10 11:56 AM
    OK I read it. Sorry one question.. or a couple.

You say you stopped CrackUtil... so I can use BBSAK to do this same "Reset IT policy function?" Where is it? I don't think I've seen that on BBSAK.

Then you say restore the phone after. You mean load my previous backup? Won't that load the IT policy back on the phone after I have just removed it? Thanks..
    04-22-10 12:07 PM
    I'm so lost and ignorant - maybe it's my carrier - but--- if you're on BIS why can't you just goto security options/firewall and disable it. More odd - mine has NEVER been enabled w/out me doing so. +1 tmob?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-10 12:58 PM
    I don't know where BBSAK lives these days. CrackUtil is still available as a link in my original post that I mentioned.

You cannot just resewt the Firewall because the IT Policy overides user input. The IT Policy is a VERY powerful tool for corporate network administators and can be used to take total control of a phone. Now anything you can do over a network you can also do as a programmer and here lies the problem. If a program is installed via DM then the progammer can re-inforce the IT Policy via the file policy.bin.

To correctly and fully remove an IT Policy, you need to read my instructions carefully and do exactly what they say step by step.

If you are a BES user then I do not reccomend you do this as this will immediate come to the notice of the network administrator who may well be quite upset because you have just compromised his precious corporate security, the enforcement of which his continued employment depends.
    04-22-10 01:05 PM
    Ok sweet. I will read the thread you poitned to on removing an IT policy and removing the policy.bin. IT is SO frustrating!
    Ain't it just. We spent ages working this out. RIM, if you call them, will tell you that there is no way to remove an IT Policy.

My thread was pretty much the culmination of work by several people, one a BES admin, and multiple threads. I was just the last one to write it down, I guess.
    04-22-10 01:13 PM
    I appreciate the work you guys put into that thread. So just follow the instructions for 4.3+? Will do! I'll update you guys (all two of you) when I try it tonite..
    04-22-10 02:36 PM
    I appreciate the work you guys put into that thread. So just follow the instructions for 4.3+? Will do! I'll update you guys (all two of you) when I try it tonite..
    OS 4.3 was the first OS that allowed javaloader to do its magic. Since the earliest OS that you can have on a 9700 is higher than that, you are good to go with the instructions for OS 4.3+.

This procedure has been used many, many times but I would be very interested to hear how you get on. So if you feel like dropping by here later, that would be cool.

Please make sure that you do a Synronization AND a Backup BEFORE you start this. I would really hate you to lose stuff if the phone wipes itself - and it might.
    04-22-10 03:39 PM
    I have tried all the work arounds for the Firewall and even called RIM for a solution.

Tried to remove the IT Policy, BBSAK, deleting all associated with Blackberry RIM from RegEdit, reinstalled the DM to no Avail.

Once I synchronize or do a restore only several databases, the Firewall Enable comes back.

NEED Urgent Help from someone who has had success.
    05-22-10 03:21 PM

08-28-13 08:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD