Im a former iPhone4 user and then realized that I've been only using the basic functions such as text, call, email and browsing. I found it hard to justify paying over $800 for just using the basic funtions. Also I kinda got tired with the phone and how everyone is using it.

Until 3 weeks ago, I decided to buy a blackberry to give it a try. Not wanting to spend over $100, I bought a Tour 9630 for only $85 from eBay. All I can say is... Wow! Im very content with the OS and the simplicity. I love it! I also realized why pay for a $800+ phone when a phone 1/10th of its price can meEt my needs.

When the Tour decides to break down on me, I'll be getting another BB for sure! Hopefully the 9900

Btw, i havent given up on the iOS yet. I still kept my iPad. For me, BB + iPad = perfect combination
    Last edited by tomatogunk; 08-12-11 at 10:18 AM.
    08-12-11 10:09 AM
    Any smart company isn't going to allow non-secure phones on their network. And this is the same reason that Governments around the world use BB devices.

Yessir!

I've posted this before on another thread, but i'll post it again for others to take a look at.

Here is a link to a PDF document with details as to why the Blackberry is the only platform approved for use in our national security agencies. It compares against the iPhone and Microsoft Mobile platforms.
    Blacklatino, Bold9930 and imcurved like this.
    08-12-11 10:26 AM
    Apple needs alot more than an led and call quality upgrade. They need a notification system that doesn't turn your screen on when you get a text message and doesn't tell inform you about email. Apple is nothing more than an mp3 player with a phone added to it. Everything on the phone is flashy and nice looking but, the core functions of a phone are horrible. Losing reception by holding it in a common way is un-exceptible. Not being able to send a song on my phone to someone else so they can listen to it is something an old flip phone could do. Or even save a song that was sent to me. Out of all the phones I've owned the iPhone 4 is the biggest let down. The iOS is restrictive in letting you customize your phone unless you jailbreak it. Even then it's lacking. I can honestly say this phone is nothing more than an over hyped mediocre phone that will be put down by android one day. I'll be very happy to get rid of it for a blackberry.
    Well Said.
    08-12-11 10:30 AM
    I am personally enjoying the 9900.
    Sure as the OP pointed out the iPhone OS does look pretty for a while, just like the Mac OS looks pretty.
    But then I need Win 7 installed on my Macbook. as well to get some real work done.
    The 9900 is snappy, great to look at and does everything that makes a BB great but without the irritants like freezes etc.
    I haven't tried the camera, and I am concerned about its lack of AutoFocus, but I can live with that.
    The compass app works great. It shows the direction as soon as you click on it.
    Physically the Phone is so light that you hardly feel it's presence in your shirt pocket. I'm using the Cover just to add bulk so that I would know if it slips out of my pocket
    I'm waiting for Wikitude.
    Would only like to politely remind the OP that "US" BB fans are not in a competetion with Apple, and I don not feel the need to bash iPhone.
    I personally was never depressed about my BB after looking at an acquaintance's iPhone and the huge amount of Apps. I'm sure I won't be down about my BB 9900 when the iPhone 5 comes out. The iPhone does not give me what I need from a phone.
    When the IP5 comes out, I will wait for the next BB that RIM has to offer.
    Please don't get me wrong, I like the iPhone for what it is. Great looks, huge apps, nice overall. But sorry I still prefer what RIM offers. I'm sure the OP would agree that me prefering a BB is not a crime.
    A phone is just like a car. There are a lot of nice cars in the market, but people end up buying one that meets their personal needs. That doesn't automatically suggest that the rest of the cars are trash.
    08-12-11 10:40 AM
    1) I know. I still didn't like it. Removed it completely with a jailbreak app so all I see in the unlock screen. Still dragged me to the text message if I was in the middle of something.

2) This should've been fixed in iOS 2. Not 5. Besides isn't Apple supposed to come up with new ideas that makes them different? All I see is them copying ideas like everyone else but, they always come short.

3) That's basically enforcing my point isn't it? Iphone is an Ipod touch. It honestly can't be argued.

I won't lye though I will keep my iphone as an Ipod because it has a killer music player.

Basically, what I was trying to get at is the device is over-hyped as being the best. It looks nice, has alot of apps, and has alot of fun factors to it. But, if that gets in the way of the device being useable for work and communication what's the point? I can't tell you how many times I've rebooted my Iphone and suddenly I have a handful of emails that couldn't get to me because the phone lost reception because I was holding it wrong.
    Yeah. Son needs a cell phone and wants an ipod touch. So, I'll get him the iPhone IV just before V launches to purchase it for a lower price.
    08-12-11 10:47 AM
    Well, I guess if you cant innovate, you just imitate. lol

Kind of like how the magnet in the smart covers for the iPad put it to sleep when its covered. Wonder where they got that idea....
    The iPhone obsoleted every other smartphone OS available at time.
    08-12-11 10:54 AM
    The iPhone obsoleted every other smartphone OS available at time.
    the iphone changed the smartphone market forever
    08-12-11 11:29 AM
    different strokes for different folks.
    Technerd.McLeod likes this.
    08-12-11 11:38 AM
    food for thought:
    Why do you think Mr. Eric Schmidt uses a BlackBerry phone? He was on advisory board for Apple at one time too I believe...hmm...
    08-12-11 11:46 AM
    I can't stand the iPhone, my wife has the iphone4. I ditched android because i just absolutely got tired of it. Why did I tire of it? I bought an iPad 2 LOL! I just need a phone to handle my work load.... Texting, calling, and picture taking of my family. So I'm down to BB and WM7.5. and I'm dead in love with a qwerty keyboard. 9900 looks like a winner unless WM7.5 is released with a 12 mp shooter. Waiting really sucks....
    My feelings exactly. Once I got an iPad my need for a phone with a billion apps disappeared. The BB 9900/9930 perfectly fills in the crappy email experience on the iPad (this is especially true due to its lack of a physical keyboard). BB's also got the best battery life and amazingly clear call quality. As for WM7.5 it does look really good--but I need the BB's keyboard.
    08-12-11 12:35 PM
    My feelings exactly. Once I got an iPad my need for a phone with a billion apps disappeared. The BB 9900/9930 perfectly fills in the crappy email experience on the iPad (this is especially true due to its lack of a physical keyboard). BB's also got the best battery life and amazingly clear call quality. As for WM7.5 it does look really good--but I need the BB's keyboard.
    I find the opposite, the iPad perfectly compensates for the issues with the BB email (e.g. truncated emails, lack of IMAP folder support etc).
    08-12-11 04:05 PM
    This device rules !

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-11 04:46 PM
    the iphone changed the smartphone market forever
    Actually, you have it wrong - RIMM changed the market forever a long time ago with the first true smartphone. Think about it.

Apple merely re-invented what was already out there - Apps - RIMM had them before Apple even had a phone, buddy....Even though the world thinks Apple created this concept (not); Text - RIMM beat them to the punch, Push email - RIMM was absolutely without question and still REVOLUTIONARY in this aspect. So while many are jumping on RIMM management of late, they are the ones the created and validated this market - Sure wasn't apple I can assure you. I had a BB 10 years ago.

So keep drinking the cool-aide and check your history lessons.

BTW: QNX will also change the market again with the first real multi-tasking device. Oh my, what's apple to do - more fart apps?
    08-12-11 05:24 PM
    Thank you sir! You don't see iPhone users posting this information very often now do you!

"Overall Assessment: The original iPhone had numerous security holes that were improved
    by the July 2008 release such as remote wipe, password policy enforcement and
    VPN. However, the iPhone OS still suffers from a major security vulnerability, which is
    called jailbreaking. Jailbreaking allows the user to modify iPhone’s 9ile system. The software
    lets the user unlock the phone and download any applications they desire. This
    allows the user to bypass Apple’s security and management systems, rendering the
    phone susceptible to security threats such as malware and hackers. In addition, the platform
    still lacks critical security features such as on device data encryption and over the air 9irmware updates. As a result, the iPhone security solution fails at the 9irst line of defense,
    which is device level security
    . Vulnerabilities, such as using the emergency call
    feature to gain access to the home deck, are still being discovered. It also relies on thirdparty
    vendors to supply security at other levels such as VPNs. Overall enterprises should
    proceed with caution and limit the use of iPhones, especially for sensitive data."
    Last edited by Bold9930; 08-12-11 at 05:46 PM.
    08-12-11 05:27 PM
    Bla bla bla...

This is what my Android phone can do and one day I hope my BB will do.
    It really needs to be a Swiss Army knife or else .....

lock and unlock my car
    lock and unlock my house

Whats the security like on your car and house so people aren't hacking into them and unlocking them? I saw an article the other day saying someone figured out how to unlock cars equipped with things like OnStar.
    08-12-11 06:09 PM
    Actually, you have it wrong - RIMM changed the market forever a long time ago with the first true smartphone. Think about it.

Apple merely re-invented what was already out there - Apps - RIMM had them before Apple even had a phone, buddy....Even though the world thinks Apple created this concept (not); Text - RIMM beat them to the punch, Push email - RIMM was absolutely without question and still REVOLUTIONARY in this aspect. So while many are jumping on RIMM management of late, they are the ones the created and validated this market - Sure wasn't apple I can assure you. I had a BB 10 years ago.

So keep drinking the cool-aide and check your history lessons.

BTW: QNX will also change the market again with the first real multi-tasking device. Oh my, what's apple to do - more fart apps?
    When he said that, i think he meant making touch-screens/apps popular. I agree with you, rimm changed the market with push email, etc..etc...Guess what though, the market has since evolved. You can now get push email on ios/android/winmo devices, not to mention that emails appear cleaner/sharper on those devices. You can keep living in the past and giving rim props on things they did a decade ago. I don't think a majority of the market will.
    08-12-11 07:37 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA whew... web os already did that friend.
    08-12-11 07:55 PM
    I cannot believe the comments I am reading. Apple has a dated OS as well. But it is not a Smart Phone by my standards. It does some things that WM7 and Android 2.3 does, yes. However no one can claim better notifications then Blackberry. BB allows you to deal with things as they happen. No refreshing, just a constant connection. iOS does what android does. But Android has better notifications at this point, then Apple. Why do you think they blantantly copied Android's notification bar? iOS 5 also has a rip of BBM. Google has had talk for a while now, even though nobody I know uses the damned thing. And yes iOS is going to run smooth as butter. It's the same OS as 4 but with some tweaks and a fake multi-tasking system. Most apps just re-open because they are not programmed to suspend. I used to own a 3GS. Slap an Apple logo on it and it's revolutionary. The complaints first made on this thread are the same complaints reviewer's have been complaining about for years. iPhone sell's because of a brand and ease of use. BB sells because of customer loyalty and reliability. Android sells because it advances it's tech fairly quickly. But to say Blackberry is dated, is an absolute insult, especially compared to a phone that is starting to copy features.
    08-12-11 07:59 PM
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA whew... web os already did that friend.
    ha ha ha, they couldn't even do symmetric muti-core processing on touchpad and about their multi-tasking it more of a glorified pause and play unlike QNX that keeps chugging in the background foreground and what ever
    08-12-11 08:07 PM
    ha ha ha, they couldn't even do symmetric muti-core processing on touchpad and about their multi-tasking it more of a glorified pause and play unlike QNX that keeps chugging in the background foreground and what ever
    The Touchpad's muti-tasking goes even when you open a new card. And he said it would be a game changer...something that's already been done is a game changer.
    08-12-11 08:23 PM
    People be gettin mad hatin on OS 7. Coming from my Storm with OS 5, BB7 lookz SICK. It may be outdated to some, but I need email and and BBM, straight up B. Working for da Fedz, you can't get work email on any other phone.
    08-12-11 08:49 PM
    why are iphone fan bois even posting on this forum? its a great toy. i have one. but it cannot touch the bb keyboard that is the strength of this phone. for power users...the keyboard is at the top of the priority list for most.
    08-12-11 09:00 PM
    I just bought mine about 2 hours ago..havent stopped playing it and checking out every little detail and app it has to offer...and it is a fantastic phone. There is no bias here either. Everything is amazing. People put waaaaay to much emphasis on apps. the Apps don't make the phone. The OS and technology within the phone is what makes it unique. The Bold 9900 is well worth every penny
    jiggaman2g likes this.
    08-12-11 09:14 PM
    I always get lured in to topics like this based on the topic's title. When will I ever learn. Stupid me to think that a topic titled "My thoughts on the 9900" would contain initial thoughts by an OP followed by other people's thoughts or constructive replies.

I appreciate the OP's impression. Different people have different expectations for their personal device(s). I don't take the comments in a bad way. If anything, they make me more eager for this device. After all, it's a SmartPhone. To me, the rich deep integration of core components make it smart. The near landline audio quality make it a Phone. And based on other posts, I'm expecting the battery life to be good too.

I'm not looking to switch from an iPhone or Android. My problem is that I really don't mind 2009. I love my Bold 9650 and am looking for justification for spending all this money on a new phone. More of the same plus fast processor, not much sacrifice in battery life, a much improved browser, bigger nicer screen, and an awesome keyboard might make me bite.

Keep the constructive stuff coming. The iPhone is nice. Android is nice. And BBOS is nice. It's not your country, religion, or family. Please don't take it so personally.
    jiggaman2g likes this.
    08-12-11 09:23 PM
    It may be important to compare at the consumer level, which you missed the distinction, but at the corporate level, RIMM owns that market, and has since the beginning of time and there's a reason. Any smart company isn't going to allow non-secure phones on their network. And this is the same reason that Governments around the world use BB devices.

Companies that like to see their IP and company information become exposed use the devices mentioned, like the iPhone. They may not know it yet however.

Hurry up and finish, I think I hear your parents calling for you.

Smarten up.
    Pal, you have no friggen clue - the same as the guy who 'liked you' for this post.

I think a giant company such as Procter & Gamble knows a thing or two about IT infrastructure and security; they give their employees the option of an iPhone 4 now. *hint hint*

You probably don't even have a job yet by the fact that you mention 'hurry up I hear your parents calling you'.

As far as battery life for those interested: the 9900 disappoints a little on that front. It doesn't make it a full day with moderate use and an hour of talk time. Bad.... I hope the extended batteries come out soon. I just want to leave it for an entire day, and if I forget to charge it... still have power left for the morning like I did with the iPhone 4. RIM can't even win in the battery life department any more with this new phone. Yikes!
    Last edited by chorner; 08-12-11 at 09:43 PM.
    08-12-11 09:40 PM
149 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD