Call quality on ANY phone is based purely on the country and carrier you're on. It's a simple as that.
    If only that were true. Even in ideal signal conditions call quality depends on many factors, for instance on how successfully does the handset cancel background noise or how accurate and loud the speaker is.

But if the signal is not ideal it's a different game, where you can see clear differences between phones. For instance, I live in London and I'm on T-Mobile. In my house I have rather poor 3g signal for some reason, and my Nexus One drops calls MUCH more frequently than my Nokia E72.

I have high hopes that the 9900 won't disappoint as a phone. Just a few more days to wait now...
    08-12-11 07:19 AM
    Uhm, buddy. If you don't think it's important to compare phones against other brands you're probably one of those kids sitting in his parents basement yourself truth be told...

In the real world, smart phones are compared to other smart phones. Especially since a lot of companies are giving employees iPhones as business devices now.

Smarten up.
    It may be important to compare at the consumer level, which you missed the distinction, but at the corporate level, RIMM owns that market, and has since the beginning of time and there's a reason. Any smart company isn't going to allow non-secure phones on their network. And this is the same reason that Governments around the world use BB devices.

Companies that like to see their IP and company information become exposed use the devices mentioned, like the iPhone. They may not know it yet however.

Hurry up and finish, I think I hear your parents calling for you.

Smarten up.
    FMB8900 likes this.
    08-12-11 07:20 AM
    It may be important to compare at the consumer level, which you missed the distinction, but at the corporate level, RIMM owns that market, and has since the beginning of time and there's a reason. Any smart company isn't going to allow non-secure phones on their network. And this is the same reason that Governments around the world use BB devices.

Companies that like to see their IP and company information become exposed use the devices mentioned, like the iPhone. They may not know it yet however.
    RIM currently have approx. 50% of the enterprise market. That is being steadily eroded. They used to have a lot more than that. Sorry, just stating the facts.
    08-12-11 07:26 AM
    RIM currently have approx. 50% of the enterprise market. That is being steadily eroded. They used to have a lot more than that. Sorry, just stating the facts.
    Can you find those "facts" for me?

How about governments - isn't that at like 100%?
    08-12-11 07:28 AM
    Can you find those "facts" for me?

How about governments - isn't that at like 100%?
    Dude, read any article about RIM written in the last 2 years with the words "corporate" and "market share" in them. Where have you been?

A 2 minute Google search turned up hundreds of articles. Here's one: Apple's iPhone, Android upset BlackBerry’s corporate cradle - The Economic Times
    08-12-11 07:45 AM
    So after toying with the Bold 9900 for a good 4-5 hours I've come to the conclusion that while the device is an excellent upgrade in terms of speed, and the capability of the device itself - OS7 has got to go. It's pretty much a pile of crap with lack of any true apps.

Coming from an iPhone 4, it feels like I've gone back in time. However, the typing has improved and one of my biggest complaints of the iPhone 4 -> the call quality was absolute garbage. The call quality on the 9900 is up there with the level of clarity you receive on a landline. Impressive. The ease of getting to what you need to get to communications wise on the BB is also great. The phone looks sexy as well, but unfortunately this is where it stops. The quality of the software and the speed of the iPhone 4 trounces this 9900.

Can only get worse for the BB fans once iOS5 comes out; if Apple decides to add an external notification led then look out.

Awesome phone itself, but the platform is the same crap I'd used on the Bold 9000 - that is to say, I feel like I'm back in 2008.

I'll be keeping the Bold 9900 as my girlfriend is getting my iPhone 4 as an upgrade from her 3Gs; but we shall see what happens in the future. If Apple ups their call quality and adds an external led...
    Apple needs alot more than an led and call quality upgrade. They need a notification system that doesn't turn your screen on when you get a text message and doesn't tell inform you about email. Apple is nothing more than an mp3 player with a phone added to it. Everything on the phone is flashy and nice looking but, the core functions of a phone are horrible. Losing reception by holding it in a common way is un-exceptible. Not being able to send a song on my phone to someone else so they can listen to it is something an old flip phone could do. Or even save a song that was sent to me. Out of all the phones I've owned the iPhone 4 is the biggest let down. The iOS is restrictive in letting you customize your phone unless you jailbreak it. Even then it's lacking. I can honestly say this phone is nothing more than an over hyped mediocre phone that will be put down by android one day. I'll be very happy to get rid of it for a blackberry.
    Bold9930 and FMB8900 like this.
    08-12-11 07:49 AM
    Apple needs alot more than an led and call quality upgrade. They need a notification system that doesn't turn your screen on when you get a text message and doesn't tell inform you about email. Apple is nothing more than an mp3 player with a phone added to it. Everything on the phone is flashy and nice looking but, the core functions of a phone are horrible. Losing reception by holding it in a common way is un-exceptible. Not being able to send a song on my phone to someone else so they can listen to it is something an old flip phone could do. Or even save a song that was sent to me. Out of all the phones I've owned the iPhone 4 is the biggest let down. The iOS is restrictive in letting you customize your phone unless you jailbreak it. Even then it's lacking. I can honestly say this phone is nothing more than an over hyped mediocre phone that will be put down by android one day. I'll be very happy to get rid of it for a blackberry.
    You my friend are the first to really hit the nail on the head with this. It really is an MP3 player with nice looking apps...That's about all I've ever viewed it as...Most of the users that I know want to throw it out the window.
    08-12-11 07:56 AM
    Dude, read any article about RIM written in the last 2 years with the words "corporate" and "market share" in them. Where have you been?

A 2 minute Google search turned up hundreds of articles. Here's one: Apple's iPhone, Android upset BlackBerry’s corporate cradle - The Economic Times
    Talk to a CIO...He lays awake at night wondering when the next breach of information that he let on his network with unsecure devises...thanks for the link though. Just a matter of time my friend...Just a matter of time.

"Boeing has not found a security option that it trusts other than BlackBerry, said the aircraft maker's spokesman Kenn Johnson, "
    08-12-11 08:02 AM
    I work for a major corporation here, who has over 16,000 employees. They are allowing employees to buy and use iPhones instead of Blackberry's for the first time. If you think RIM is going to increase it's Enterprise market share you are delusional.
    Two years ago it was over 80%. A year ago, 68%. This year around 50%. Gonna need more than irrational fanboys to turn that boat around, my friend.

Personally, I'd prefer RIM were the corporate supplier of choice for 100% of companies and governments. But I also don't believe in the tooth fairy.
    08-12-11 08:09 AM
    "Boeing has not found a security option that it trusts other than BlackBerry, said the aircraft maker's spokesman Kenn Johnson, "

That is what he may say publicly, but I can tell you Boeing employees have other devices now that is coming from HQ.
    08-12-11 08:12 AM
    Well, when you own 100% of the market, you can't have any more of the pie now can you.

But you are correct, some companies are starting to allow in other phones, but it's a very small number...Same is true in your company I promise, as I'm in the same boat as you.

But, your CIO is feeling pressured to do so - usually by sales and marketing as they claim they can't do their jobs, but he's also sweating every day that goes by that he doens't have a problem. Just because it's being allowed doesn't mean it's not a concern...Big difference, eh?
    08-12-11 08:14 AM
    That is what he may say publicly, but I can tell you Boeing employees have other devices now that is coming from HQ.
    And I can reasonably assume that all exec's are on BB's.
    08-12-11 08:16 AM
    Hi

Are there any iPhone 4 users here that have moved to the 9900? If so what are your thoughts? What do you miss? Whats better other than having a real keypad?

I'm an iPhone 4 user thinking about changing to a 9900.

Alex
    08-12-11 08:19 AM
    You my friend are the first to really hit the nail on the head with this. It really is an MP3 player with nice looking apps...That's about all I've ever viewed it as...Most of the users that I know want to throw it out the window.
    I've been saying this all week.

There are more and more people on this forum saying. These new blackberry devices are nice but, not as nice as the iphone or priced right like the androids. I had a blackberry storm, motorola droid, and now an Iphone 4. The storm was gimicky but, the way the phone was setup and the os was spot on. I liked it. Just wanted it in a better phone. The droid came out and I gave it a try. I didn't much hate it as it was very customizable and by the time I retired that phone is was a good device for my needs. It still didn't live up to the blackberry setup in my opinion.

Now the beautiful and wonderful Iphone came to verizon and it was rumored to have the reception problem fixed. So why not? I figured I could customize it like I did my droid. Big bloody mistake. I couldn't use my own music to customize text tones without jailbreaking the phone. The phone's front screen turns on with the text message I just got and tells me the message right on the unlock screen. It's even worst if I'm doing anything on the phone. I get a pop-up and it takes me right to the text message. What if I was in the middle of writing an e-mail? Sorry you have to read this text message now!

Now watch any apple commerical and all they talk about is the apps. We have an app for that! No. They don't. I want an app to dissable all of these annoying pop ups this phone has. No I have to jailbreak my Iphone to get such apps. The reason that is such a negative for me is apps should improve the phone and add features it didn't originally come with. It should not have to disable functions on the phone to make it bearable.

I could go on but, I'll stop here.

And if anyone likes the Iphone I'm ok with that. It's just a horrible choice for me.
    08-12-11 08:31 AM

There are more and more people on this forum saying. These new blackberry devices are nice but, not as nice as the iphone or priced right like the androids. I had a blackberry storm, motorola droid, and now an Iphone 4. The storm was gimicky but, the way the phone was setup and the os was spot on. I liked it. Just wanted it in a better phone. The droid came out and I gave it a try. I didn't much hate it as it was very customizable and by the time I retired that phone is was a good device for my needs. It still didn't live up to the blackberry setup in my opinion.

Now the beautiful and wonderful Iphone came to verizon and it was rumored to have the reception problem fixed. So why not? I figured I could customize it like I did my droid. Big bloody mistake. I couldn't use my own music to customize text tones without jailbreaking the phone. The phone's front screen turns on with the text message I just got and tells me the message right on the unlock screen. It's even worst if I'm doing anything on the phone. I get a pop-up and it takes me right to the text message. What if I was in the middle of writing an e-mail? Sorry you have to read this text message now!

Now watch any apple commerical and all they talk about is the apps. We have an app for that! No. They don't. I want an app to dissable all of these annoying pop ups this phone has. No I have to jailbreak my Iphone to get such apps. The reason that is such a negative for me is apps should improve the phone and add features it didn't originally come with. It should not have to disable functions on the phone to make it bearable.

And if anyone likes the Iphone I'm ok with that. It's just a horrible choice for me.
    There's one thing that I've never understood about Iphone users. It's kinda like Mets/Yankees fans, or Cubs/Sox fans or northern/southern californian's....One group hates the other more.

iPhone users just can't stop bashing BB's, but we really don't understand why. At least I don't. Hey, it's a great phone, just not for me, but why such hatred? Again, still don't get it.
    Cynn likes this.
    08-12-11 08:38 AM

1) you can turn off the text on home screen in the options so it does not show the world who the txt is from and what they want

2) if you have been following ios5 you know the new notification system is improved to act more like BB and Android

3) Once hotspot comes available on the OS7 devices... all you need is a 150$ ipod touch from craigslist or kijiji and you got yourself an iphone!

i seriously don't know how anyone could want to buy an iphone if you have a device with a wifi hotspot... you get the best of both worlds BB + iOS

that said. BB works for me and i let all the kids scream and shout how their device is "better"
    08-12-11 08:44 AM
    Bla bla bla...

iphone sucks, no BB sucks no Android sucks .......

Like mentioned so many times every phone has it's ups and downs.
    I am using my Android more and more and my torch is now on ebay.

I will still buy the Bold 9900 because I love that design, but not my primary user.

For every person on here using BB,and iPhone look at all the crap that is on your phone that your carrier has pushed and you have no say in how to get rid of it. Android does to, but you have the choice to remove crap from carriers and make your own device.

Another thing; just to say that BB do email/text , and phone calls great and don't need apps and games etc. is why RIM is in trouble.

It is about synergy and in today's world you need more from your phone, and that is what apps can do and it will be the future.

With a BB you can email, text, call and some cool things but they need to expand and it has to happen now.

This is what my Android phone can do and one day I hope my BB will do.
    It really needs to be a Swiss Army knife or else .....

email ( same as BB or better at times)
    Text ( not as smooth as a BB)
    Call ( same as my torch , and previous Bold, Storm)
    Video conference
    online banking with check deposits
    lock and unlock my car
    lock and unlock my house
    turn on/ off tv BD
    act as a mouse for my laptop
    Text to speech navigation
    remote log in to my home computer
    become a hotspot
    measuring device
    etc.....
    ****, no more car keys, house keys, store cards, credit card

With all these integrations, everything becomes more and more efficient and productive. Yes there are hiccups but it get's better each day with improvements.

I hope BB can be part of these innovations.

You know, electric type writers do what they were designed to do very well, but who uses them any more ? No one though people would get rid of land lines for cell phones and it's happening.

APPS are not just games and pretty eye candy, they are the future of how we communicate and organize, share.

SYNERGY............
    Last edited by Maliberti; 08-12-11 at 08:56 AM.
    imcurved likes this.
    08-12-11 08:47 AM
    1) you can turn off the text on home screen in the options so it does not show the world who the txt is from and what they want

2) if you have been following ios5 you know the new notification system is improved to act more like BB and Android

3) Once hotspot comes available on the OS7 devices... all you need is a 150$ ipod touch from craigslist or kijiji and you got yourself an iphone!

i seriously don't know how anyone could want to buy an iphone if you have a device with a wifi hotspot... you get the best of both worlds BB + iOS

that said. BB works for me and i let all the kids scream and shout how their device is "better"
    1) I know. I still didn't like it. Removed it completely with a jailbreak app so all I see in the unlock screen. Still dragged me to the text message if I was in the middle of something.

2) This should've been fixed in iOS 2. Not 5. Besides isn't Apple supposed to come up with new ideas that makes them different? All I see is them copying ideas like everyone else but, they always come short.

3) That's basically enforcing my point isn't it? Iphone is an Ipod touch. It honestly can't be argued.

I won't lye though I will keep my iphone as an Ipod because it has a killer music player.

Basically, what I was trying to get at is the device is over-hyped as being the best. It looks nice, has alot of apps, and has alot of fun factors to it. But, if that gets in the way of the device being useable for work and communication what's the point? I can't tell you how many times I've rebooted my Iphone and suddenly I have a handful of emails that couldn't get to me because the phone lost reception because I was holding it wrong.
    08-12-11 08:57 AM

For every person on here using BB,and iPhone look at all the crap that is on your phone that your carrier has pushed and you have no say in how to get rid of it. Android does to, but you have the choice to remove crap from carriers and make your
    If you knew anything about iPhones, you would know there is no carrier crap on them. Steve Jobs would not allow such a thing.
    08-12-11 09:11 AM
    Really? These cyber-p*ssing contest(Blackberry vs. ?) really remind me of the Miller Lite beer commercials of the 70's- "Taste Great; Less Filling".

@OP. I would suggest returning the device if it is not what you expected. No flames or hissy-fit. It's you money. So, return it if you're not happy.
    imcurved likes this.
    08-12-11 09:48 AM
    No, I did not. I went from a Blackberry 9000 to 9700 then to an iPhone. Now I'm back with Blackberry with the 9900.
    liar liar pants of fire
    08-12-11 09:51 AM
    Iphone is crap too, feel like I'm going back to 2009.

Still waiting on led notification....lol

Waiting to steal more features from android.
    08-12-11 09:59 AM
    You must never have used iOS, or certainly not iOS4. It's quite good software; I said this from a user perspective and a developers perspective as I have been both.

The BB OS does things right; namely letting you access your messages and phone extremely fast. But, the outdated options menus and all the rest of it is just that - severely outdated. I want to really like it, but I like the truth of things better than clouded reality unlike you seem to have

iOS 1 was featureless to begin with, then finally with iOS 3 you got basic functions added like Copy&Paste and MSS, then iOS4 finally came with proper multitasking(for the most part), and now with iOS 5 your finally getting a decent notifications system.

BB OS probably seems outdated because it had all these basic functions and more to begin with, while the iPhone was playing catch up with features, and marketing each version of iOS as a "revolutionary" upgrade.

I honestly think Android gave RIM a run for its money, way more than iPhone did.
    08-12-11 10:02 AM
    Hi, thought I would post a few thoughts on owning the 9900 over the last day or so. Typing is amazing. Its back to the old 9000, but maybe better. Hard to hit the wrong key. A little different sound than a traditional berry, but not bad either.

OS7
    Some nice improvements for sure, but I think a lot of us are waiting for QNX to really make a judgement about OS's. We knew this wasn't going to be a ground breaking OS, but hopefully some nice small improvements.

Hardware
    Somewhat surprised that there's a little creak in the track pad. Also the track pad is very slow, even with sensitivity set at 80. Might have to return it as that's normally not a big issue out of the box. Even my torch was better. Everything else on the phone is VERY solid. Battery door, aluminum trim, etc.

Apps
    This is where i'm VERY SHOCKED. I thought given the release time lag, and the fact that there was so much anticipation for this device in particular, there would be a plethora of apps ready for the 9900 and OS 7.
    NOT SO..... Do not buy this phone thinking you will be able to device switch and have a majority of your apps on the phone. I know it will come in time, but even apps like Sports Illustrated, Sportsnet, Cineplex, just to name a few aren't available yet. Even one's that are, like Globe News, don't work and almost freeze the phone. Evernote takes forever to sync.

So am I happy with the hardware, and keys I can actually type on (minus the sticky track pad) Yes. The OS is evolution not revolution (as we all thought right?) But apps are a very disappointing, even for RIM
    08-12-11 10:06 AM
    Still waiting on led notification....lol

Waiting to steal more features from android.
    Well, I guess if you cant innovate, you just imitate. lol

Kind of like how the magnet in the smart covers for the iPad put it to sleep when its covered. Wonder where they got that idea....
    08-12-11 10:06 AM
149 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD