So after toying with the Bold 9900 for a good 4-5 hours I've come to the conclusion that while the device is an excellent upgrade in terms of speed, and the capability of the device itself - OS7 has got to go. It's pretty much a pile of crap with lack of any true apps.

Coming from an iPhone 4, it feels like I've gone back in time. However, the typing has improved and one of my biggest complaints of the iPhone 4 -> the call quality was absolute garbage. The call quality on the 9900 is up there with the level of clarity you receive on a landline. Impressive. The ease of getting to what you need to get to communications wise on the BB is also great. The phone looks sexy as well, but unfortunately this is where it stops. The quality of the software and the speed of the iPhone 4 trounces this 9900.

Can only get worse for the BB fans once iOS5 comes out; if Apple decides to add an external notification led then look out.

Awesome phone itself, but the platform is the same crap I'd used on the Bold 9000 - that is to say, I feel like I'm back in 2008.

I'll be keeping the Bold 9900 as my girlfriend is getting my iPhone 4 as an upgrade from her 3Gs; but we shall see what happens in the future. If Apple ups their call quality and adds an external led...
    08-10-11 09:57 PM
    not meaning to flame your post, but your on a blackberry forum where the majority of people love the OS, even it if it crap.
    08-10-11 09:58 PM
    not meaning to flame your post, but your on a blackberry forum where the majority of people love the OS, even it if it crap.
    What is the point of this post? It isn't a secret that BB OS is really outdated even in OS 7 form. It brings nothing new to the table and is the same OS just edited slightly from the Bold 9000's OS.

That said I think the only reason people are buying Blackberries is for the hardware keyboard and BBM/Email Client.
    chorner likes this.
    08-10-11 10:06 PM
    Go return your 9900, and wait for the iphone 5, you don't have to deal with the dated OS anymore...problem solved
    08-10-11 10:09 PM
    Just bought my 9900 about 3 hours ago, after having an Android device for 6 months. But i have to agree with chorner a bit. OS7 feels like OS6 on my 9780, other than the new icons. I can't tell any differences really.

Does anyone one know why pics don't show up in the browser? I have the images set to on. When I log into pof all the images have a red x on them.
    08-10-11 10:11 PM
    Go return your 9900, and wait for the iphone 5, you don't have to deal with the dated OS anymore...problem solved
    +1

i love it. does the job just right for me. feels great in the hand. Wouldn't take an iphone 5 if you gave it to me. I dont care what the iPhone 5 will look like / do. this phone is just too right for me.

have fun with your iToy
    scubbie, Bonsay, Omar20v and 1 others like this.
    08-10-11 10:11 PM
    Then they should feel comfortable enough to read someone else's balanced opinion without having a hissy fit.
    chorner, zeteo and Tre Lawrence like this.
    08-10-11 10:13 PM
    have fun with your iToy
    Aren't we beyond the toy references yet?

Yes, Verizon 4G is really that fast!
    tino72#CB likes this.
    08-10-11 10:15 PM
    ...The call quality on the 9900 is up there with the level of clarity you receive on a landline. Impressive. The ease of getting to what you need to get to communications wise on the BB is also great. The phone looks sexy as well...
    I don't know about anyone else but great CALL quality and ease of COMMUNICATING is what I expect from a PHONE!

So thanks OP for confirming why BB will always be the clear winner for me personally.
    08-10-11 10:20 PM
    I can't stand the iPhone, my wife has the iphone4. I ditched android because i just absolutely got tired of it. Why did I tire of it? I bought an iPad 2 LOL! I just need a phone to handle my work load.... Texting, calling, and picture taking of my family. So I'm down to BB and WM7.5. and I'm dead in love with a qwerty keyboard. 9900 looks like a winner unless WM7.5 is released with a 12 mp shooter. Waiting really sucks....
    sashas and tino72#CB like this.
    08-10-11 10:20 PM
    Then they should feel comfortable enough to read someone else's balanced opinion without having a hissy fit.
    The only hissy fit I'm seeing in this exchange does not belong to the individual you quoted. That being said, in my opinion the iphone OS is as stale as any OS can get.
    08-10-11 10:24 PM
    That's a great idea and all, but that doesn't save your beloved company, which happens to be tanking.
    08-10-11 10:27 PM
    BTW I am on my second 9900. The first one just kept rebooting, same as my first playbook lol. I have no luck with BB's
    08-10-11 10:39 PM
    4mula. Please confirm that you joined this forum to post that comment.

Chorner..chorner...chorner...

I don't even know where to begin.

Tell us about the 9900 though.

Most BlackBerry fans know what the OS will bring...
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-10-11 10:40 PM
    I mean, its great that iPhone 4 is so highly esteemed in your opinion, but I'd really like to hear more about the 9900. I'd like your thoughts on the 9900.

Better yet...why don't you keep talking about what happens when iPhone gets indicator light and if apple ups their call quality.
    08-10-11 10:43 PM
    I can't stand the iPhone, my wife has the iphone4. I ditched android because i just absolutely got tired of it. Why did I tire of it? I bought an iPad 2 LOL! I just need a phone to handle my work load.... Texting, calling, and picture taking of my family. So I'm down to BB and WM7.5. and I'm dead in love with a qwerty keyboard. 9900 looks like a winner unless WM7.5 is released with a 12 mp shooter. Waiting really sucks....

You must be a genius cuz that answer is literally what I'm thinking and I have to agree on every single point you made. No ifone, no droid (unless its the nexus s, and that's a maybe). BlackBerry or wp7.5 for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-11 10:47 PM
    4mula. Please confirm that you joined this forum to post that comment.

Chorner..chorner...chorner...

I don't even know where to begin.

Tell us about the 9900 though.

Most BlackBerry fans know what the OS will bring...
    No, I did not. I went from a Blackberry 9000 to 9700 then to an iPhone. Now I'm back with Blackberry with the 9900.
    08-10-11 10:47 PM
    So after toying with the Bold 9900 for a good 4-5 hours I've come to the conclusion that while the device is an excellent upgrade in terms of speed, and the capability of the device itself - OS7 has got to go. It's pretty much a pile of crap with lack of any true apps.

Coming from an iPhone 4, it feels like I've gone back in time. However, the typing has improved and one of my biggest complaints of the iPhone 4 -> the call quality was absolute garbage. The call quality on the 9900 is up there with the level of clarity you receive on a landline. Impressive. The ease of getting to what you need to get to communications wise on the BB is also great. The phone looks sexy as well, but unfortunately this is where it stops. The quality of the software and the speed of the iPhone 4 trounces this 9900.

Can only get worse for the BB fans once iOS5 comes out; if Apple decides to add an external notification led then look out.

Awesome phone itself, but the platform is the same crap I'd used on the Bold 9000 - that is to say, I feel like I'm back in 2008.

I'll be keeping the Bold 9900 as my girlfriend is getting my iPhone 4 as an upgrade from her 3Gs; but we shall see what happens in the future. If Apple ups their call quality and adds an external led...
    Honestly return it. I'm not trying to flame you or anything. But from what you're saying, you want the apps (i don't see what youre saying about speed..it looks as fast as the iPhone) and you're not gonna find that on BB, maybe when the QNX comes out. But definitely not yet.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-10-11 10:54 PM
    I have an iPhone 4 and plan to look at the 9900 when it becomes available on AT&T. I do enjoy the apps, but I really miss a keyboard. Entertaining the idea of using my iPhone around the house on my wifi.

Lately I been paying attention to my app use; Facebook and twitter seem to be my constant, although I do enjoy my espn app.

With the exception of espn, the 9900 comes loaded with the apps I need. Still, I plan to wait and see what apple does with the iPhone 5 before making any decisions. If the 9900 was available at AT&T right now, I would have already purchased it and waited for the iPhone.

I
    Last edited by sallenthornton; 08-10-11 at 11:10 PM.
    08-10-11 10:55 PM
    Oh boy... guys, some of you are such a bunch of flagrant fanboys it must hurt your little peckers every time someone even makes mention of another brand of phone.

Sorry guys... I wouldn't have bought a Bold 9900 if I wasn't drooling over it in the first place. This is my honest review. Great phone, dated platform... I expect good call quality too, which is why I was looking to jump away from the iPhone 4 again. It's just too bad now I gave up everything else good for good call quality - something you're right, the iPhone should have but doesn't. So the BB it is for me because my number 1 reason for having a cell phone is -> to make phone calls and send/receive text/email. That's it - however, some platforms have a more elegant and visually appealing way of doing these same tasks etc. The BB is great, love the shortcuts and the messaging and call quality. The phone itself looks awesome - more manly and business like. OS7 as a whole? Garbage. I was really hoping since my Bold 9000 and OS 5 it would've picked up... but not really.

FYI, the Bold 9700 I also owned for about a week before dropping it for the iPhone 4 also had **** call quality. The speaker in that thing sounded like it was taken from a Fisher Price toy.
    Last edited by chorner; 08-10-11 at 11:06 PM.
    08-10-11 11:01 PM
    Why can we never have a intellectual discussion on this board. I just bought a 9900 after selling my Galaxy S2 today. And having been away from BB for 6 months, I'm hard pressed to find a difference in OS6 and OS7. No one can with a straight face sit here and say this is a new OS. Its just OS6 with a few upgrades. The contacts app is identical,calendar app is identical, most of them were left the same. No new features nothing.

Why are we allowed to only post loving RIM posts and when someone says something negative we have to hate on them.

I bought the device on the strength of wikitude and yet only to find out its not available at launch. Also theres no wifi hotspot available, really? Every other smartphone has this simple feature. Yet we get NFC that no one uses yet in North America.

This is a forum and people should be able to point the good and the bad without getting bashed.

We live in a time where features and options are King. Why did they have to downgrade the camera? Everyone else is doing 1080p recording yet Rim didn't include this. Android has 1.5gb for apps yet Rim thought 180-200mb was ok. I'm not even gonna talk about games because I could care less about them.

My last gripe is most of my videos and movies that I do enjoy I can't watch. It doesn't seem to support mkv, and its picking which mp4 videos it wants to play. 50% of my mp4 files will play and the others it says are unsupported formats even though they are all mp4's
    08-10-11 11:05 PM
    The only hissy fit I'm seeing in this exchange does not belong to the individual you quoted. That being said, in my opinion the iphone OS is as stale as any OS can get.
    You must never have used iOS, or certainly not iOS4. It's quite good software; I said this from a user perspective and a developers perspective as I have been both.

The BB OS does things right; namely letting you access your messages and phone extremely fast. But, the outdated options menus and all the rest of it is just that - severely outdated. I want to really like it, but I like the truth of things better than clouded reality unlike you seem to have
    08-10-11 11:36 PM
    Bbos 6 to 7 is like symbian 3 to symbian anna. Same old. 9900 is rim's nokia e6..nice hardware, dated interface.
    Joe: how do you find sgs 2? No good?
    08-10-11 11:53 PM
    Bbos 6 to 7 is like symbian 3 to symbian anna. Same old. 9900 is rim's nokia e6..nice hardware, dated interface.
    Joe: how do you find sgs 2? No good?
    I loved the sgs2. I truly am missing it right now. I have owned my 9900 for 5 hours now, and have replaced it once due to a faulty device and for some reason my 9900 keeps freezing when importing pics.

I decided to give BB another chance, but right now I'm regretting it. But I'm gonna give it more than 5 hours to reserve a complete judgement.
    08-11-11 12:30 AM
    He ( Chorner ) is absolutely right about the iphone call quality being maggoty compared to the blackberry - I'm the last of my kind ( a blackberry user ) at the company I work for and say of the mobile phones that call me the folks on iphones sound like they are inside a tin can.

RIM has other things going for it I can think of such as the way their push email works. I don't know of any other "tech" that's easier on a battery than blackberry push and frankly nothing better for texting.

That aside the iphone hands BB's Donkey to it on a paper plate on every other task someone would expect of a "smart-phone". Most people who REALLY use their cell phones for work use the camera in it ALL THE TIME. When I got my Bold 9650 I finally got to retire the point and shoot I had been packing around for the last two years and with the clairity of the 9650's AF I could snap shots of notes or information I always had to get a paper and pen for.

The point is that having a good 3.2mp camera in my bold made my life easier by making my job much easier.

To be frank the poster is correct in that OS7 simply allows a person to do what they previously did much faster - nothing has really changed in that the phone can't really do anything more than it did previously aside from having a touch screen.

Not only that but RIM went backwards by putting an EDOF camera in the device which simply can't render a close up shot of those things a business phone should be able to take - such as notes, sections of documents, pictures for insurance claims, etc.

RIM deserves some nasty feedback on the camera issue alone! They soiled the bed badly and think customers who have been loyal for years are just gonna roll around with them in that bed.

If those of us who are "real" fans of RIM don't start letting RIM know when it dungs on the carpet we will watch this company implode. I for one don't want to see that happen.

The Bold 9900 would have been nearly perfect for everything I need a "smart phone" to do if it would have only had the same camera my bold 9650 has in it. As it stands a two / three year old Blackberry has been proven to have a significantly better camera in it then does the 9930 / 9900. To add more insult the new 9900 camera can't be used to document business related thing because it simply can't capture it - at all!

If any doubt simply go to the 9900 forum and look over some of the reviews that have mentioned the camera. the shots are of a practical joke status, absolutely horrific.

If RIM is to survive they must build on their previous devices and made them better or at the minimum keep them the same ( Rim has been good at that part ) however they must NOT take giant leaps backwards.

I mean seriously, has anyone taken note of the absolute junk camera they put in what they call their flagship device?
    Last edited by pythons; 08-11-11 at 12:42 AM.
    kenshaw and anon(4018671) like this.
    08-11-11 12:37 AM
149 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD