Hello, I'm new here, so hi. hehe

I had a rough day today. Got into a car accident, then my $500 phone was water damaged. :'( I think complaining about not having enough money for a deductible (i have insurance)would be ignorant of me since I was able to buy a $500 phone.
    Anyway..

I spilled water on my bed and finally noticed after 5 seconds that my phone was where the water spilt. I quickly dried it off, blew dried it for a few minutes, and hoped for the best. Of course.. it didn't turn on.. so I figured I should just leave the phone open for a few hours and hope for the best..

A few hours later, I tried turning on my phone. This time it worked, but the qwerty keyboard was disconfigured.. Enter was the arrow back space, g, was m, etc.
    I then browsed through these forums and followed the idea of leaving the phone in uncooked rice for a few days and hoping for the best.

My question is.. since my phone still turned on fine, but the keys were mixed up, would this be permanent damage? I think I should just leave the phone in rice for a few days, since I have nothing to lose : (

If its permanent damage, I guess i'll have to pay the $125 deductible, and then somehow pay for the car damage : (

Would my company, at&t, be able to cover for me a new bold due to water damage? Or would it just be a better idea to say that it was stolen?

Thank goodness I have insurance though..

Sorry for the rant! I just have never had such a bad day in my life like today, before..

Anyway. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts.

Thanks a ton!
    08-16-09 01:33 AM
    Your biggest problem was time. After blow drying it for a few
    minutes and turning it back on you exacerbated the damage.

Leaving it to sit for only three hours made it worse. It sounds as
    if there was still moisture present and your introducing power
    to it damaged the circuit board.

Your best bet is to skip the rice, the damage is done, shell out
    the deductible and be done with it.

Since the phone was not stolen, saying so is insurance
    fraud and I would advise against that.
    08-16-09 01:49 AM
    Yes... most people are in a haste to try and get their phone working again that they don't take the time to let it dry.

You should've dried it as best you could, blow dryed it and then put it in a ziploc bag full of uncooked rice for like 3 days at minimum.

I also would advise just paying the deductible...
    08-16-09 03:26 AM
    Pfft i've had phones re-awaken when they dry out. Not my blackberry, but a k850i which I made the mistake of having a 30minute phone call on in monsoon-style rain (hey! I was drunk!)

It cut off due to the water, I kept trying to turn it on as I walked home. Got home, left it overnight in the airing cupboard, then next morning - no luck.

Next day after that, it worked fine! So, just let it dry out and see how things go.
    08-16-09 06:02 AM
    I did almost exactly the same to my Bold a month or so after I first got it...

Spilled Diet Coke on my bed, some of it onto the front of my Bold... Quickly took the battery out and dried it all off as much as I could then put the battery back in and turned it on. Keys were messed up the same way yours are, turned back off for 15 mins and turned back on and it worked fine.

Still works fine 6 months on
    08-16-09 11:51 AM
    Same thing happened to me about 2 months ago ... unlike u i have an unlocked bb bold using t-mobile so insurance was not an option but what i did was i took it a local cell phone repair shop, they charged me $65 and my bold been working fine since then ...
    08-16-09 01:48 PM
    Thank you guys for the replies! I was only able to read the first post last night, and I lost all hope. After reading many of the other posts today, I think I will just leave my phone untouched for a few more days and see how that goes..

Thank you guys again!
    I'll post here again and tell you guys how it goes..
    08-16-09 06:41 PM
    One thing that can not be stressed enough...

LEAVE THE BATTERY OUT while doing all this.
    08-17-09 11:59 AM
    it sucks.. go for Samung Marine
    08-18-09 11:38 AM
    Hm, I recently had pretty much the same issue. I dropped my phone in the sink while sick and totally filled the front up with water. I quickly ripped the battery out, but the damage had been done. I powered it back up after about 2 hours (making things worse, im sure). The keyboard eventually went back to normal, but the trackball was permanently broken.

Luckily for me the white sticker never got wet under the battery cover, and ATT just replaced it for me. Is your sticker pink under the battery cover? If not, I would bring it in to a store and see what happens.
    08-18-09 12:32 PM
    I've got good news and bad news..

Bad news..
    I found out that the damage is worth atleast 800 bucks.. that was the estimate if I were to fix the damage myself isntead of having insurance deal with it, which is better because I already have 1 accident on my record and it hasnt been passed 3 years..

Good news...
    My phone magically worked! I'm astonished, amazed, in disbelief, possibly every exciting emotion you could think of!
    As I explained that I blew dry my phone right after it was wet, which was a bad idea. Then Turning it on right after as well. I then left it in rice for 2 days hoping that it would work.
    Today, I turned on my phone, and it turned on, but the qwerty keys were still disconfigured and the scroll ball was nearly disfunctional. I was not able to dial nor cancel a call either. 1 hour passed, I felt like text messaging a friend the hard way ( searching for the right letters while the letters were still messed up), and as I'm typing and forget that I have messed up keys (and forgetting that I broke the phone), I typed normally, and wallah, the phone worked as if nothing happened!!!

Nonetheless, I'm so happy!
    Now I just have to pay for the car damages... : (

Thank you guys for giving me hope, or else I would have probably gone (even more) insane, haha.
    08-20-09 01:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD