I think I've managed to tweak my Bold and make it faster by playing around with the e-screens. I could be dilussional and totally off here. So I want to share this with you guys and see what you think.

I read that the WiFi lack of speed was due to the Bold's mismanagement of the battery in sleep mode. So I started messing with the Engineering screens and found out that you can disable the sleep on the WiFi. It's located in the WiFi Engineering menu. Once there, go to Power Modes and select AWAKE for PS Power Level and Default Power Level. To do that, change the option and select AWAKE. Then Execute Action to make it stick. Then scroll down to "Poll HighThroughput in Sleep" and "Poll HighThroughput Now" and enable both of those options (I honestly don't know what these two do, someone elighten me please.) Execute the actions and exit the menus. Your Blackberry Bold is now on steroids. (I think...)

At the very minimum, WiFi speeds will increase. I know for a fact that my SlingPlayer Mobile is working a lot better.

UPDATE: This is absolutely killing my battery life like I've never seen before.
    Last edited by Jino; 08-13-09 at 06:14 AM.
    08-13-09 05:37 AM
    Things you change in the escreen are only changed until a reboot right? Cos I know everytime I use quickpull or do a BP my voice codec goes back to defaults. (That's the only thing I changed in the escreen)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 06:02 AM
    Things you change in the escreen are only changed until a reboot right? Cos I know everytime I use quickpull or do a BP my voice codec goes back to defaults. (That's the only thing I changed in the escreen)

Yeah, the changes never stick. I guess you use 2G more than 3G?
    08-13-09 06:06 AM
    Any change in battery life?
    08-13-09 06:16 AM
    It eats the battery quite fast.
    08-13-09 06:20 AM
    Hmm. All i really use Wifi for is browsing. I already use Bolt which is set to Wifi only. Bolt is already blazing fast that way (even smokes my iTouch with Safari on the same connection), this didn't seem to effect anything as far as that goes.

Seems if you could just delay the sleep time a little, that would be more efficient. Not sure if you can...
    08-13-09 06:33 AM
    I think I've managed to tweak my Bold and make it faster by playing around with the e-screens. I could be dilussional and totally off here. So I want to share this with you guys and see what you think.

I read that the WiFi lack of speed was due to the Bold's mismanagement of the battery in sleep mode. So I started messing with the Engineering screens and found out that you can disable the sleep on the WiFi. It's located in the WiFi Engineering menu. Once there, go to Power Modes and select AWAKE for PS Power Level and Default Power Level. To do that, change the option and select AWAKE. Then Execute Action to make it stick. Then scroll down to "Poll HighThroughput in Sleep" and "Poll HighThroughput Now" and enable both of those options (I honestly don't know what these two do, someone elighten me please.) Execute the actions and exit the menus. Your Blackberry Bold is now on steroids. (I think...)

At the very minimum, WiFi speeds will increase. I know for a fact that my SlingPlayer Mobile is working a lot better.

UPDATE: This is absolutely killing my battery life like I've never seen before.
    how do u get to wifi engineering
    08-13-09 06:35 AM
    alt + shift + H (if you've unlocked or had an unlock code generated)
    08-13-09 06:38 AM
    rats , have not unlocked .. wont go
    08-13-09 06:43 AM
    08-13-09 06:44 AM
    Hmm. All i really use Wifi for is browsing. I already use Bolt which is set to Wifi only. Bolt is already blazing fast that way (even smokes my iTouch with Safari on the same connection), this didn't seem to effect anything as far as that goes.

Seems if you could just delay the sleep time a little, that would be more efficient. Not sure if you can...
    I have yet to try Bolt yet. I've tried on several ocassions to switch to Opera, but I always end up using the Bold's browser. Is there a site out there that can measure the browsing speed of the Bold's browser? That could give us more accurate results.
    08-13-09 06:51 AM
    Well, there is a Speedtest app and their site is speedtest.net, but I think the site is flash. I think App World might have the Speedtest App.

Try Bolt. . Check off Wifi and select http for transport. That way it only works on Wifi, for me, and it's blazing fast!
    Last edited by Blacklac; 08-13-09 at 07:06 AM.
    08-13-09 07:00 AM
    I just got to work and can't test Wifi anymore though.

08-13-09 07:01 AM
    I read something about this Wifi "sleep mode" a couple days ago. Wouldn't turning your browser to Hotspot or turning data completely off bypass that? Or are you actually claiming you are boosting Wifi performance?

08-13-09 10:14 AM
    be careful in those e screens guys!
    08-13-09 01:22 PM
    post a vid?
    08-13-09 02:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD