Here's what happened:

I bought a non-functioning Bold on eBay (battery NOT included) and I'm expecting it to be used just for parts. But when I tried to connect it to my PC, the LED lights up red. So what I did is that, I took the battery off my 9700 and put it on the device.

It lights up again but won't turn on. Then a few minutes later, I noticed the phone is heating up FAST, even my battery. I waited for it to turn on but the LED just keeps lighting and nothing is happening. Until it finally became dead no matter what I do, even if I connect it in my PC. When I try to put the battery back to my 9700 it won't turn on anymore, so I connected it to a wall charger. It turned on and I found out that my FULLY CHARGED battery drained and is now EMPTY.

When the battery was fully charged AGAIN, I tried to put it in the Bold 9000 one more time and connected it to my PC. It starts heating up again but what I did is I downloaded the Latest Official OS (.1067) and installed it on the phone. I was able to install it and was functioning already. So I was like, YES!!!

But then I realized, the trackball isn't responding correctly. The 'OK' feature is functioning when you press it but it won't go left or right and up or down. So I took the phone apart, took out the trackball from the board and cleaned it with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol.

So after 10 minutes of brushing or so, I put the phone back together but when I tried to put the battery on, it started to heat up AGAIN! Now what I did is I reprogrammed the OS one more time since that fixed the problem the first time and fortunately, it did. I was able to use the phone again but the problem with the trackball remained.

So I'm planning to buy a new trackball but I'm sure the overheating problem will happen again, so I'm wondering, is there any way to get rid of it other than reprogramming the OS?

I would appreciate your help guys.

Thanks and have a nice day everyone.
    Last edited by roalf; 07-09-11 at 03:59 PM.
    07-09-11 03:56 PM
    Duh, you bought a dead bunny and what to bring it to life? Give it up for dead. Even if you get it running,likely you won't be able to register the PIN. If you needed parts why didn't you just purchase new one's from places like cnn.cn. The 9000 is so old they are selling off the parts cheap to get rid of them.
    07-14-11 02:32 PM
    Duh, you bought a dead bunny and what to bring it to life? Give it up for dead. Even if you get it running,likely you won't be able to register the PIN. If you needed parts why didn't you just purchase new one's from places like cnn.cn. The 9000 is so old they are selling off the parts cheap to get rid of them.
    Duh your face man.

I fixed the BB and it's working fine. If you have read my post you'll know that. So don't reply on posts that you don't fully understand.

It's clearly stated that there are no issues other than the overheating thing which only happens when the battery is taken off for more than 30 minutes or so, otherwise it's not overheating while being used.

All I'm asking is a fix to permanently get rid of the overheating without having to reinstall the OS and go back to scratch.

Oh and BTW, I'm using BBM, FB App. Twitter, etc. without any issues whatsoever.
    07-25-11 07:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD