Dats actually kewl....how did d police find him...?!
    03-05-09 09:24 AM
    Sorry to hear about your Bold being stolen, great to hear they caught the dude who stole it. I will say i am happy to read and find out all these apps i never knew about to protect against things like this. When i get home from work im def gonna check a bunch of them out.
    03-05-09 09:30 AM
    Dats actually kewl....how did d police find him...?!
    did you not read? lol
    03-05-09 05:03 PM
    Does Instamapper usable outside US?
    Say, Singapore?

It work as it uses google map on the web.. I tested it this morning from home to food centre. it tracked my walking
    03-05-09 09:20 PM
    Yea I am now a HUGE fan of instamapper, after reading this post I decided to give it a try on my bold seeings how I was planning on doing alot of traveling by car through the midwest united states today.

So this morning I fired up the car and began my journey up interstate 35. When I got to my destination (10 hours later) I logged onto instamapper and not only did it keep up with where I was every 15 minutes it also informed me if my blackberry was moving and at what speed!

I think I'll definitely be keeping this application now
    03-05-09 09:36 PM
    glad to hear you guys like the application!

i was pumped when i first found it, and that it actually WORKED
    03-05-09 09:48 PM
    So what did the thief say he did with the phone? Sell it to someone? According to your timeline the cops nabbed him the same day so he didn't have much time.
    he said he doesn't have the phone and he "gave" it to his friend
    his friend has no part to do with this situation so chances are he sold it
    the cops were waiting in his house to get home from school
    and upon him entering his home they searched his body immediately
    only the SIM card was recovered
    03-12-09 12:32 PM
    just to update everyone
    i got another bold from basically ******** to Rogers retention
    as far as the thief, the officer said to sue him which I will be doing once the court date is set up and what not
    once again I appreciate EVERYONE for their help and quick replies
    that's why I love this site as many as you guys/girls do
    03-12-09 12:38 PM
    At least it's sort of a happy ending. Good luck
    03-12-09 12:46 PM
    good to hear howie.

just curious, what kinds of things did you say to Retentions @ rogers?
    03-12-09 01:04 PM
    good to hear howie.

just curious, what kinds of things did you say to Retentions @ rogers?
    basically they wanted to offer me a blackberry pearl, pearl flip or the curve ($100)...I told them these phones are nothing compared to the bold I previously had and was displeased as to how they would compensate me for my situation at that time, then they offered me the bold at the price of a phone upgrade ($200) and they managed to change my plan price wise resulting in a savings of $20 on my phone bill keeping the same plan

that's basically it really
    03-12-09 02:48 PM
    so did you have to pay for the BOLD? ($200)
    03-12-09 03:31 PM
    basically they wanted to offer me a blackberry pearl, pearl flip or the curve ($100)...I told them these phones are nothing compared to the bold I previously had and was displeased as to how they would compensate me for my situation at that time, then they offered me the bold at the price of a phone upgrade ($200) and they managed to change my plan price wise resulting in a savings of $20 on my phone bill keeping the same plan

that's basically it really
    Glad to hear that things ended up working of half decently for you and that you didn't get completely screwed.

Chris
    03-12-09 04:10 PM
    How can I set this app to update every 5 / 10 mins...right now it only allows me to set it for "send every 5 seconds. How can I change that? Is it through the phone or through the computer? Thanks!
    very sorry to hear that.

Roblock is compatible with the BOLD, i think i remember reading that somewhere.

you should prob pick that program up when you get your new bold. another thing you can get is a GPS app here

InstaMapper - Free Real-Time GPS Tracking

leave it on and it will track where the phone is and you can check on that website. Another good app is from here

GPS Snitch

this one has a nicer interface but doesn't sync as regularly (insta mapper syncs every 5 secs while gps-snitch syncs every 15 mins)

i recommend both, but i have had better luck locking my GPS with Insta-Mapper.

but definately call your carrier and tell them about the incident, im sure they can lock your pin and help answer some of your questions carrier related.

anyways good luck with everything and let us know how it goes.

i freakin hate theives with a passion
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 09:30 PM
    For those of you who have used Instamapper, how much data does it use?

I have an unlimited blackberry data plan, but some apps don't use the blackberry.net AP and Its only this AP I can use.

I don't know how it would work with my carrier.

Also, I was reading the FAQ's but didn't see if it booted up with the phone automatically or not. Anyone know?
    03-16-09 08:52 AM
    extremely saddened that my 2 month old bold was stolen last week, needless to say the person that stole it got arrested and charged, however the police were unable to recover my phone only my SIM card...now if any of you guys/girls can provide some help that would be awesome

-anyway to lock my old bb messenger pin?
    -how else can i make his life a living **** for stealing my bold
    -I had two email accounts on the phone, there is no way he can access them right?

thanks a lot everyone and I'm getting a new bold but its just a weird feeling of not having the original back
    Hi there!

I saw your post about the stolen blackberry. I have an extra copy of the anti theft software Phonebak some of the guys were recommending.

It comes with a backup software phonebakup too.

Let me know if you are interested.
    I got it with another purchase of the bold but as I already have extra there is no need for it. I can just inform bak2u to transfer it to you at no charge.
    08-19-09 09:25 PM
    Is there any point using InstaMapper to recover stolen phones when chances are, the device will be turned off?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-09 04:35 AM
    I set both the apps to update every 30 minutes; they sleep if they aren't updated I believe
    08-20-09 05:23 AM
    I suggest Smartguard. It does everything these programs do and more. Yeah, it cost money, but it's worth the peace of mind.
    08-20-09 09:08 AM
    Instamapp sounded great so I have registered and installed it. It found my location but then I get a "network error" and "data has not been uploaded" or something similar. Do I need to adjust permissions or firewall or something? If so how? thanks...
    08-20-09 09:21 AM
    Thanks for the handy link!
    Not to say my BB would necessarily ever get stolen; I keep an eye on it like I would my wallet, but what if you should happen to put it down somewhere and forget to pick it up?
    I never have, but never say never. Great insurance policy for an expensive piece of equipment at a great price.(Free!)
    08-21-09 10:41 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD