extremely saddened that my 2 month old bold was stolen last week, needless to say the person that stole it got arrested and charged, however the police were unable to recover my phone only my SIM card...now if any of you guys/girls can provide some help that would be awesome

-anyway to lock my old bb messenger pin?
    -how else can i make his life a living **** for stealing my bold
    -I had two email accounts on the phone, there is no way he can access them right?

thanks a lot everyone and I'm getting a new bold but its just a weird feeling of not having the original back
    03-04-09 08:26 PM
    Just curious, how did they catch the guy?
    03-04-09 08:29 PM
    well...I left my phone on the store counter while mopping and he quickly snatched while I was not looking...the person that stole it wasn't too smart as I recognized him because he was a regular customer and I knew what school he went to...I managed to get his name from the school with their help and the rest was dealt by the police that very same night
    03-04-09 08:31 PM
    I would go online right now and change your passwords for those email accounts. That should stop new incoming mail. Unfortunately, he can still read the old mails that are on the phone.

I don't know if there's a way to remotely lock the phone.

Sorry for your loss. Hope all gets resolved.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-09 08:31 PM
    Roblock!!

I want to get this program but dont know if it's compatible with the bold. I emailed them to confirm but they still didnt get back to me. I dont think they will.
    03-04-09 08:34 PM
    if the device was keylocked when stolen
    i think u can sit easy on the emails bit
    unlikely he can guess your password in 10 tries and the device wipes itself after that

u can report the loss to your carrier and i think they are able to lock the pin on their side. this disables quite a bit of functions
    03-04-09 08:48 PM
    very sorry to hear that.

Roblock is compatible with the BOLD, i think i remember reading that somewhere.

you should prob pick that program up when you get your new bold. another thing you can get is a GPS app here

InstaMapper - Free Real-Time GPS Tracking

leave it on and it will track where the phone is and you can check on that website. Another good app is from here

GPS Snitch

this one has a nicer interface but doesn't sync as regularly (insta mapper syncs every 5 secs while gps-snitch syncs every 15 mins)

i recommend both, but i have had better luck locking my GPS with Insta-Mapper.

but definately call your carrier and tell them about the incident, im sure they can lock your pin and help answer some of your questions carrier related.

anyways good luck with everything and let us know how it goes.

i freakin hate theives with a passion
    03-04-09 10:34 PM
    very sorry to hear that.

you should prob pick that program up when you get your new bold. another thing you can get is a GPS app here

leave it on and it will track where the phone is and you can check on that website. Another good app is from here

GPS Snitch

this one has a nicer interface but doesn't sync as regularly (insta mapper syncs every 5 secs while gps-snitch syncs every 15 mins)

but definately call your carrier and tell them about the incident, im sure they can lock your pin and help answer some of your questions carrier related.

Holy **** those two apps are AMAZING.
    03-04-09 11:02 PM
    haha yeah, to me they are must-haves.

i dont turn mine on all the time, only when im going out partying or out of campus (i live on campus in college)
    03-04-09 11:06 PM
    I set both the apps to update every 30 minutes; they sleep if they aren't updated I believe.
    03-04-09 11:08 PM
    I have an app called mobilesky installed. If my phone goes missing or gets stolen. I can remotely wipe the device. Doesn't get your phone back but at least you know there won't be anything sensitive getting taken from your phone
    03-04-09 11:14 PM
    very sorry to hear that.

GPS Snitch

That is amazing! I just set it up and think it's some of the best software out there for the Bold!

Thanks!

Chris
    03-04-09 11:58 PM
    NOOB QUESTION

is there a way to keep this program running in the background (instamapper) and have it password protected so if a phone is stolen or lost someone will not be able to stop the program and halt the tracking?
    03-05-09 12:22 AM
    i dont know actually,

i've been trying to find out the answer to a similar question

OFF TOPIC: can you lock specified folders (ex/ you wanna lock your messages/media/calendar etc.) ?
    03-05-09 12:53 AM
    I have an app called mobilesky installed. If my phone goes missing or gets stolen. I can remotely wipe the device. Doesn't get your phone back but at least you know there won't be anything sensitive getting taken from your phone
    i went to the MobileSky website, i registered and everything, but when i went to select my Phone, the BOLD wasn't listed, so i clicked on the "Click here if you cant find your phone" area, you said you have it on your BOLD?

what did you do then to set it up? care to help a brotha?! haha
    03-05-09 01:01 AM
    Dang, I like that idea, but sadly no support on the 8900 or 9000 yet.
    03-05-09 01:01 AM
    It can be run in the background....cannot be password protected "YOu should have your phone password protected"
    03-05-09 01:02 AM
    Dang, I like that idea, but sadly no support on the 8900 or 9000 yet.
    yeah, but he says he has it on his phone, maybe he said he had the pearl or something haha.

lets wait and see what he says
    03-05-09 01:05 AM
    I have PhoneBak installed in my Bold. If it gets stolen or lost, I can do a remote data wipe, knows the identity of the person who tried to inserted his/her SIM card into my phone...even his/her location.

The software will always load whenever my Bold is powered up, and it is password-protected and cannot be deleted easily.

Bought it for peace of mind, I guess.
    03-05-09 03:06 AM
    Does Instamapper usable outside US?
    Say, Singapore?
    03-05-09 04:22 AM
    Hey, I am really sorry to hear about ur lose. It sucks u couldn't get ur device or SIM Card back. Really sucks!!!!

But I like this thread due to all the useful tips to help us protect yourselves from these scums that like to steal!!!! Also to the people that have suggested these varuious apps, are they free???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-09 04:28 AM
    To the Op, I know you want revenge, but I think the best chance of ever getting you Bold back is to forgive him. Love thine enemies like they are family.
    03-05-09 05:36 AM
    So what did the thief say he did with the phone? Sell it to someone? According to your timeline the cops nabbed him the same day so he didn't have much time.
    03-05-09 05:41 AM
    -anyway to lock my old bb messenger pin?
    -how else can i make his life a living **** for stealing my bold
    -I had two email accounts on the phone, there is no way he can access them right?
    (
    1. Report the phone's IMEI and PIN to your provider as STOLEN and request it is permanently blocked from network.

2. Come to that later. If there's a court appearance involved - after he gets convicted, you don't want to do anything which will improve his chance to have the case dropped.

3. Don't delete the phone from your BIS account. CHANGE the mailbox the phone picks up (make a new one like [email protected] specially for the purpose) and every day make sure it gets another email saying "Stolen Phone" which will be pushed out to the new user if the cellco doesn't block the phone completely. You'll want to create a new BIS login for your new phone and transfer your other mailbox reads.

Back to making the little scrote see the error of his ways. You shouldn't go down the route of criminal violence, however much you like the idea of pouring boiling oil over his genitals.

Depending what kind of store you have and your relationship with the owner, public humiliation might be possible. Big poster with photo showing known thieves banned from the store (see why I said wait for conviction if possible). Also talk to all the other stores in area, get a cooperation / mutual aid scheme going (they did that around here with the pubs, and it does hurt the cream of the local youth when a ban in one means a ban in all).
    03-05-09 08:20 AM
    leave it on and it will track where the phone is
    Not if they bring the phone to my office. Or most places inside.
    03-05-09 08:36 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD