Hi everyone, first post!

I've been with O2 for the past 16 months on an iPhone tariff. I brought a Blackberry SIM free for work thinking all would be well. However, I got it today and I cant use Blackberry messanger, can't connect to my the internet via my router, and worst of all, for some reason it won't let me download the Blackberry App store so I can't get any apps!

I hve a feeling its because I'm not on a Blackberry unlimited tariff with O2. Does anyone know a way around this, or have I just paid 300 for a phone I can hardly use!!?
    04-29-10 01:42 PM
    Have you got o2 to add the blackberry bundle to your account?
    most UK operators charge around 5.00 a month.
    04-29-10 03:15 PM
    Have you got o2 to add the blackberry bundle to your account?
    most UK operators charge around 5.00 a month.
    Really, I've give them a call and see what they say.
    04-29-10 03:18 PM
    As soon as you have it active just reboot the phone and everything will start to work. I think you have made a good choice getting the bold 9700, best phone I have had to date.
    04-29-10 03:23 PM
    As soon as you have it active just reboot the phone and everything will start to work. I think you have made a good choice getting the bold 9700, best phone I have had to date.
    Nope, doesn't work. When I try to download AppWorld I get a message telling my my device does not meet the system requirements.
    04-29-10 03:29 PM
    I have a SIM free 9700 and I'm on O2 Simplicity 20 (600 minutes, 1200 SMS and unlimited internet). You need to tell O2 that you have a BlackBerry and they will set uoiu up with the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS), accessed here BlackBerry Internet Service. Once O2 has done its stuff, login here and set up your phone and email.

DO NOT TAKE NO for an answer from O2 - really. They may talk to you about a BlackBerry Bolt-on. I got this for free 'cuz O2 said it came whenever a BlackBerry was connected. Mrs' Pete6 got the same deal.
    04-29-10 03:34 PM
    I have a SIM free 9700 and I'm on O2 Simplicity 20 (600 minutes, 1200 SMS and unlimited internet). You need to tell O2 that you have a BlackBerry and they will set uoiu up with the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS), accessed here BlackBerry Internet Service. Once O2 has done its stuff, login here and set up your phone and email.

DO NOT TAKE NO for an answer from O2 - really. They may talk to you about a BlackBerry Bolt-on. I got this for free 'cuz O2 said it came whenever a BlackBerry was connected. Mrs' Pete6 got the same deal.
    Ok, now I'm confused!! Why don't I want the Blackberry Unlimited bolt on? Is it because it costs money and BIS is free??

Also, if I sign up for BIS, will I also be able to use AppWorld, get on Wifi and use messanger?

So I just follow the link and create an account??

Thanks for all your help.
    04-29-10 03:39 PM
    Ok, now I'm confused!! Why don't I want the Blackberry Unlimited bolt on? Is it because it costs money and BIS is free??

Also, if I sign up for BIS, will I also be able to use AppWorld, get on Wifi and use messanger?

BIS is not free. as i understand it you don't have a BIS data plan. you have to have one. your carrier needs to switch you to one, so you have to call them. if you don't want to have a data plan, then none of those features will work, even over wifi. this is covered on many topics on this forum.
    04-29-10 03:43 PM
    BIS is not free. as i understand it you don't have a BIS data plan. you have to have one. your carrier needs to switch you to one, so you have to call them. if you don't want to have a data plan, then none of those features will work, even over wifi. this is covered on many topics on this forum.
    But I don't want to switch my tariff, I want to keep my iPhone tariff as I'm still going to use it, but I want to use the Blackberry for work. Wouldn't the Blackberry Unlimited bolt on therefore be my best option?
    04-29-10 03:47 PM
    But I don't want to switch my tariff, I want to keep my iPhone tariff as I'm still going to use it, but I want to use the Blackberry for work. Wouldn't the Blackberry Unlimited bolt on therefore be my best option?
    no BIS = no messenger, browser, native apps, etc on your blackberry. period. someone correct me if i'm wrong but if you have a BIS data plan, you can still put your SIM in your iphone and get data.
    04-29-10 03:54 PM
    no BIS = no messenger, browser, native apps, etc on your blackberry. period. someone correct me if i'm wrong but if you have a BIS data plan, you can still put your SIM in your iphone and get data.
    I'm not arguing your point, I'm just struggling to see the difference between BIS and the Blackberry Unlimited BoltOn?
    04-29-10 03:59 PM
    Yo need BIS to make it work.
    04-29-10 03:59 PM
    Yo need BIS to make it work.
    So I need the Blackberry Unlimited BoltOn AND BIS to get it working properly, isn't that essentially charging me twice??
    04-29-10 04:01 PM
    So I need the Blackberry Unlimited BoltOn AND BIS to get it working properly, isn't that essentially charging me twice??
    i have no idea what unlimited bolton is, but ALL you need is a BIS plan, nothing else.
    04-29-10 04:14 PM
    I'm not arguing your point, I'm just struggling to see the difference between BIS and the Blackberry Unlimited BoltOn?
    there is no difference. it's just with some o2plans you get a free bolton which can be the blackberry bolton, whereas some tariffs may not offer you a free bolton hence why you pay for it.

i'm on 3000mins and 3000sms for 30 + 10 Blackberry Bolton.
    04-29-10 04:15 PM

Read my post again. I got BIS for free. O2 market it as a Bolt-On but I took unlimited Internet as my included/free Bolt-On and because that won't work without the BIS Bolt-On, they threw that in.

BIS give you access to blackberry.net via your PIN and IMEI. Once you have BIS then you can set up your email account(s). However you HAVE to have the Internet or BIS cannot possibly work. That is why O2 will throw in BIS for BlackBerrys when you take the Unlimited Internet Bolt-On. It pays to be not too smart when you call O2. You have a new BlackBerry (cool ain;t it). I need it to work, please. Can you help? This is the right line to take with O2 help line since most of the CS reps know nothing about BlackBerrys.

I know this works because I have done it -twice.

I pay 19.50 pounds a month and have the same deal on my phone and the wife's. This is the lowest SIMplicity option where this will work. I believe that O2 have slightly changed their plans since I got mine to give unlimited SMSs.
    04-29-10 06:17 PM
    Read my post again. I got BIS for free. O2 market it as a Bolt-On but I took unlimited Internet as my included/free Bolt-On and because that won't work without the BIS Bolt-On, they threw that in.

BIS give you access to blackberry.net via your PIN and IMEI. Once you have BIS then you can set up your email account(s). However you HAVE to have the Internet or BIS cannot possibly work. That is why O2 will throw in BIS for BlackBerrys when you take the Unlimited Internet Bolt-On. It pays to be not too smart when you call O2. You have a new BlackBerry (cool ain;t it). I need it to work, please. Can you help? This is the right line to take with O2 help line since most of the CS reps know nothing about BlackBerrys.

I know this works because I have done it -twice.

I pay 19.50 pounds a month and have the same deal on my phone and the wife's. This is the lowest SIMplicity option where this will work. I believe that O2 have slightly changed their plans since I got mine to give unlimited SMSs.
    Right, I rang them this morning and played dumb. They told me that there is no way I will be able to get my Blackberry working properly as I'm on an iPhone tariff which includes unlimited data. They said I can't have two data packages on my tariff, I have to have one or the other. If I have the BB data package, I'll get charged when using my iPhone and if I have the iPhone data package I won't be able to BB services.

Sounds like I'm pretty much stuffed??
    04-30-10 06:21 AM
    If that's the official line they are giving you then yes in your own words your stuffed, lots of people still get caught out by the fact they need BIS to use a blackberry properly, you need to make the decision, and next time do some research before blowing 300 on a phone. Here's hoping you make the right decision,

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-10 07:21 AM
    Yeah, that's true enough. A BlackBerry plan is no good for an iPhone and what the iPhone needs is different from a 9700.

You, Sir, are going to have to choose between the two.

At least now you have all the options clearly to hand.
    04-30-10 07:26 AM
    Just something to keep in mind (and I apologize if this makes your decision harder)

If you are considering keeping the 9700 - and don't ask people here they like me are biased and will say don't even think of the iphone, I mean we are the crackberry nation - you will want to decide soon. From what I've read the release of the iPhone G4 or whatever its called will be around june with apple announcing it in the next month. Odds are the value of your current device will tank so you will want to sell it asap, before john q public find out about the new one

Good luck deciding - 9700 with upcoming webkit should be an amazing device

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-10 07:59 AM
    o2 does a simplicity deal for bb for 17.50, should look at that
    04-30-10 10:11 AM
    o2 does a simplicity deal for bb for 17.50, should look at that
    That would work but he has an iPhoe as well. The wo data plan types are mutually exclusive.

The three choices seems to be

- buy two data plans, one for each phone.
    - ditch the iPhone, best idea
    - sell the BlackBerry, very bad idea
    04-30-10 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD