According to the rumors, the 9700 doesn't have enough memory to run OS 6.0, so they may introduce an update version of the 9700. 512MB RAM + 5MP camera.

http://crackberry.com/rumor-blackber...d-9700-refresh
    06-04-10 01:36 PM
    Well it hasn't come out yet so its not "already" outdated, but when it comes out, yes it will be technically outdated. Obsolete? No.
    06-04-10 01:41 PM
    Thats life in the tech age. The second you purchase a new computer/phone/etc its outdated. There is always something newer/faster/better on the horizon.
    06-04-10 01:57 PM
    You will need to buy a new device as I doubt they are going to introduce 6.0 for the 9700 anyway. New OS sells new devices!
    06-04-10 02:02 PM
    You will need to buy a new device as I doubt they are going to introduce 6.0 for the 9700 anyway. New OS sells new devices!
    Where are all these people coming from

6.0 will work on the 9700 for the billionth time!
    06-04-10 02:05 PM
    According to the rumors, the 9700 doesn't have enough memory to run OS 6.0, so they may introduce an update version of the 9700. 512MB RAM + 5MP camera.

Rumor: BlackBerry Onyx II (delta) - A BlackBerry Bold 9700 refresh just around the corner? | CrackBerry.com

You need to wait until OS 10.0 comes out so you dont feel so outdated.

Dont buy any electronic devices for the next 7 years so you wont feel this every single year. Ok?
    06-04-10 02:07 PM
    I have to agree with rdyoung. What was once in, is now out. Lol. I can never keep up with the Jones'.
    06-04-10 02:07 PM
    I really hope we will be able to run 6.0
    06-04-10 02:10 PM
    If it's in production, it's out of date.

However it is still under warranty.

Of course it will run OS 6.

The design is great and RIM will be making the 9700a with 512Mb and a 5Mp camera. Maybe this will run OS 6 even better.
    06-04-10 02:11 PM
    The rumor going around is that there will be a slimmed down version of 6.0 for 256 devices, and the full version for 512 devices. So the slimmed version should work on your 9700.
    06-04-10 02:14 PM
    The rumor going around is that there will be a slimmed down version of 6.0 for 256 devices, and the full version for 512 devices. So the slimmed version should work on your 9700.
    Key word, rumor.
    06-04-10 02:19 PM
    That is what I read too.
    06-04-10 02:19 PM
    Wouldnt the 2 versions just be a touch and non touch version?
    06-04-10 02:28 PM
    Wouldnt the 2 versions just be a touch and non touch version?
    That would make sense. The code needed for a touch screen is likely outrageous, so if you get rid of that, it would free up a good amount of room.

IF/When 6.0 is released, if I still have my 9700, I will likely install it, but if it runs like my 8820 did when I upped it to 5.0, I will very quickly revert back. A new fancier interface and webkit browser is not worth a worsening of battery life and a sluggish phone.

This is also why you spend the money on the top of the line devices, that way it will last a lot longer than the cheaper phones.
    The 9700 is THE BEST phone rim has ever produced. And while I will try and maybe buy the 9800 when it comes to TMO, my 9700 will still be rocking for at least another year. Apps will have to get much more involved and resource intensive to make the 9700 truely obsolete for sometime to come.
    Last edited by rdyoung; 06-04-10 at 02:46 PM.
    06-04-10 02:42 PM
    I have to agree with rdyoung. What was once in, is now out. Lol. I can never keep up with the Jones'.
    Yep, but that doesnt mean that it doesnt/cant do the same job it has been doing. I have 2 flatscreen CRTS that are perfectly fine, and work just as well as the day they were manufactured, they didn't magically stop working when the first LCDs were designed/produced, and they were still working when the LEDtvs and 3Dtvs were put into production.
    06-04-10 02:50 PM
    It has been said many times here already the storm2 and 9700 will run OS6.

Why do we keep having to go through the thread will it or not!!

I have had to go to a bold 2 9700 because Vodafone UK will not replace my Storm 2 " i have lost it / had it stolen from my pocket" and Vodafone have said it was discontinued on there system. So could only offer me a 9700.
    Last edited by madhatter2426; 06-04-10 at 03:08 PM.
    06-04-10 03:04 PM
    Yep, but that doesnt mean that it doesnt/cant do the same job it has been doing. I have 2 flatscreen CRTS that are perfectly fine, and work just as well as the day they were manufactured, they didn't magically stop working when the first LCDs were designed/produced, and they were still working when the LEDtvs and 3Dtvs were put into production.
    Very very true. I will likely keep my 9700 until it craps out. lol.
    06-04-10 03:23 PM
    Amazing Original Thing To Become Hated Clich� In 6 Months

NEW YORK�An extremely clever and creative new thing will amuse the world for two and a half weeks in June, become pass� by mid-September, and wind up as a trite and infuriating clich� by Christmas, sources said Monday. "Positive reviews on Boing Boing will signal the brief 'happy' phase of this exciting new thing's existence, about 11 weeks prior to the first backlash," said Wired magazine senior writer Stephen Levy. "I look forward to watching America fall in love with, make YouTube parodies of, sour on, forget about, and groan legitimately when hackneyed late-night talk show references are made to the thing." Levy estimated that the thing's creator will earn $400,000 from licensing its image for use on T-shirts that will all be donated to Goodwill by next spring
    Amazing Original Thing To Become Hated Cliché In 6 Months | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
    06-04-10 03:31 PM
    I crap up with threads like this.

I also have a G1 and Moto Cliq and when I'm on the TMO or Android forums, people are always crying about 1.6, or 2.0 or 2.1 or 2.2......like their phone is magically going to become a whole different other phone with a slight rev change.....lol

My G1 is still at 1.6 and my Cliq at 1.5. Other than Google Nav being the biggest difference between the two, everything else is really minor. So much so that my wife didn't notice the difference between the two and after playing around with a Nexus One.....the changes aren't so dramatic that its going to make me jump off of a bridge.

The 9700 is a great phone. Regardless of it being able to handle 0S6 or not, it still serves all the functions that you currently use the phone for now and it will continue to for years to come. if you HAVE TO HAVE the latest and greatest, then just get the new BB when it comes out.
    06-04-10 03:42 PM
    Os 6.0 will run fine and this phone will last us long enough
    06-04-10 03:55 PM
    I love that this site runs on the fact that no one knows anything (sorry but its kind of true). The whole reason that people initially thought that 256MB devices would run OS 6 is because in a brief demo (which by all means could have been smoke and mirrors) was running on something that was assumed to be a 9700. Now we see that there is a rumor of a 512MB 9700 but yet no one put 2 and 2 together. Could the demo have been real and using this 512MB device?

In the end, until there is a press release from RIM with actual devices and requirements (and even then, things could change) what is talked about on here is almost always rumors and speculations. Its not too difficult to come to conclusions that happen to be correct (obviously all sorts of new bells and whistles will need more RAM) but don't look at this as actually having the facts. My uncle and his girlfriend went out to Las Vegas and when they got back they were married. We all said we knew that was why they went out there, but turns out they decided to get married while waiting in the airport to come home...so we didn't "know", just happened to guess before hand on something that eventually happened.

So when people ask what devices will support OS 6 just remember no one here knows, they are all just guessing from pictures and videos and from what others have posted on this site.
    Last edited by jeff.parent; 06-04-10 at 04:11 PM. Reason: grammar issue
    06-04-10 04:09 PM
    If the 9700 will not work with the new OS then the company president lied at the big pow wow in Vegas. He was asked a direct question if the 9700 would be able to accept the 9700, he stated yes. If it doesn't, I will completely loose faith in a company that the President will tell a lie about a fact he knew the answer to. I do not buy for one second he didn't know exactly what would or would not work on the 9700. As I said if the 9700 will not work with the new Os then the President of Rim lied to all blackberry users. How can you stick by a company like that? What does everyone else think about that???
    06-04-10 05:12 PM
    This might be a stupid question, but what is the difference between OS5 and OS6? Is there a huge change to how things are done on OS6?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-10 08:36 PM
    If the 9700 will not work with the new OS then the company president lied at the big pow wow in Vegas. He was asked a direct question if the 9700 would be able to accept the 9700, he stated yes. If it doesn't, I will completely loose faith in a company that the President will tell a lie about a fact he knew the answer to. I do not buy for one second he didn't know exactly what would or would not work on the 9700. As I said if the 9700 will not work with the new Os then the President of Rim lied to all blackberry users. How can you stick by a company like that? What does everyone else think about that???
    Do you have a link to the article where he said that?
    06-04-10 09:08 PM
    Uhhhh

They don't HAVE to disclose secrets just because they were asked. Is the 9700a not still a 9700? This would make his statement still true.. It's all about keeping people interested man.
    It happens everywhere. Get used to it.
    06-04-10 09:20 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD