11-03-13 04:44 PM
183 12345 ...
tools
    Put yourself in my shoes, what the heck am i supposed to do? I like the extra power and features the 9900 bring over the 9700...but I keep reading wondrous stories from BB commenters here on Crackberry about how their 9900 battery life is pretty good.

Am I supposed to believe now that those guys who say they still have 30% battery after a full day of use are liars?

My first two 99x0 devices were verizon branded 9930 devices. One bricked. I sold the replacement after realizing that the 9900 series gets way more leaked firmware (and thus potentially more chance of a software fix for the abysmal battery life). My original 9900 had terrible battery life...dying by 12 noon after over night charging. And that's on the 'magical' .523 firmware that was supposed to have the best battery life ever.

After being told repeatedly by sneering crackberry posters that they had no issues with their BBs and that mine was probably a bad device, I bought a new 9900 yesterday. Rogers branded this time. Upgraded to .523 last night and did a device switch.

Enabled Blackberry device analyser and i'm seeing battery drains of 12% per hour.

Look, i'm still in the 'let it settle for some days' phase but i'm very very very unhappy and unimpressed with RIM at the moment. I positively loathe Lazaridis and Balsille for authorizing this stupidity.

If this does not work out well for me, i'll just resign myself to wait for BB10.
    i'm one of the people you refer to as easily being able to get through a day with more than enough battery left to feel comfortable.

I does happen and is not a fantasy.

As your problem has happened on a number of devices then maybe something other than the basic phone as it comes out of the box may be the issue.

Have you carried over some apps from your 9700 that are not OS 7 compatible ?

What has been advised a number of times is running your phone app free and seeing what the battery discharge is like.

Assuming that the app free phone works as it should, start adding the apps one by one until the culprit emerges.

Hope this helps you.
    08-14-12 12:43 PM
    try the .569 with the .523 .sfi file! Look in the Hybrids section of forums, BerryLicio.us Ultimate Hybrid for OS6 and most 7.1 devices there is lots of help out there. Everything you need is in there. And yes perhaps we shouldn't have to do this with new phones, but that's blackberry at the moment.
    The point I'm trying to make is there are options before buying an up rated or spare battery
    08-14-12 12:43 PM
    I have bold 9930, but seems BL hybrid doesn't have for this model.
    Any other hybrid to have better battery life?
    08-14-12 01:24 PM
    I have bold 9930, but seems BL hybrid doesn't have for this model.
    Any other hybrid to have better battery life?
    I've asked wolf to test it he's been too busy. Give it a try please!
    08-14-12 01:41 PM
    From Amazon UK

[Momax Product] Brand New 1400mAh 1400 mAh Momax High Capacity X-Level Battery Backup Spare Extra Power Replace Replacement For Bold Touch 9900 9930 Curve 9380 Torch 9850 9860

IMPORTANT: Aftermarket Product

Installation instruction is not included.

It cannot support NFC function.

This battery has high stability and provide your phone with long standby time as same as the original one
    Advanced Lithium-ion technology with high performance output
    Battery charging times of up to at least 500 times
    Use imported IC components, precision PCB to prevent the battery from overcharging and short-circuit
    Production meets ISO 9002 and ISO 14001 standards

Compatible to:
    BlackBerry
    Bold Touch 9900
    Bold Touch 9930
    Curve 9380
    Torch 9850
    Torch 9860

Battery: High-capacity lithium battery
    Voltage: 3.7V
    Capacity: 1400mAh
    Packaging: Blister

Package includes:
    1. 1400mAh X-Level Battery x1
    2. Manual x1
    3. Warranty Card x1
    4. Battery Decoder x1
    WTF????It cannot support NFC function???
    08-14-12 02:26 PM
    Put yourself in my shoes, what the heck am i supposed to do? I like the extra power and features the 9900 bring over the 9700...but I keep reading wondrous stories from BB commenters here on Crackberry about how their 9900 battery life is pretty good.

Am I supposed to believe now that those guys who say they still have 30% battery after a full day of use are liars?

My first two 99x0 devices were verizon branded 9930 devices. One bricked. I sold the replacement after realizing that the 9900 series gets way more leaked firmware (and thus potentially more chance of a software fix for the abysmal battery life). My original 9900 had terrible battery life...dying by 12 noon after over night charging. And that's on the 'magical' .523 firmware that was supposed to have the best battery life ever.

After being told repeatedly by sneering crackberry posters that they had no issues with their BBs and that mine was probably a bad device, I bought a new 9900 yesterday. Rogers branded this time. Upgraded to .523 last night and did a device switch.

Enabled Blackberry device analyser and i'm seeing battery drains of 12% per hour.

Look, i'm still in the 'let it settle for some days' phase but i'm very very very unhappy and unimpressed with RIM at the moment. I positively loathe Lazaridis and Balsille for authorizing this stupidity.

If this does not work out well for me, i'll just resign myself to wait for BB10.
    Believe you me, I know where you're coming from with your rant. I've been there as well. My second 9900 was eating through battery life so quickly, I couldn't get through 10-12 hours of heavy use before the berry would just shut down .

I finally managed to get the unit replaced by Rogers. Received the phone and noticed that there was something wrong just by pounding out a few BBMs - battery level dropped to 92% in a matter of minutes. Back to Rogers I went, and after a lot of arguing, received another 9900. This time around, all else being equal (same battery, 7.1.0.324 with .318 radio stack), the average battery discharge rate rarely exceeds 3.2%/hr ... yes, it spikes when using the BB heavily, but drops to zero discharge as soon as I stop using it.

What I do know is that fairly decent battery life is achievable on this phone using stock battery. For example, my phone reads 79% battery right now. I performed a quick charge after getting back from work yesterday evening and unplugged the charger at 7:45pm ...... I've sent out & received a combined 47 BBMs today, 10 emails with attachments, checked weather (Accuweather app) quite a few times (perhaps 10) and battery's still going super strong.

This leads me to believe that there are MANY 9900 units out there with some sort of defect which cause(s) the battery to drain abnormally quickly. Perhaps the CPU doesn't cycle down properly, something else like a little short somewhere? Who knows, I didn't test either.

Read more about my observations regarding the latest firmware (7.1.0.569) here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7566261

Either way, I'm looking forward to receiving the Mugen battery to see if that allows me to get even more uptime on the 9900.

Cheers.
    08-14-12 02:44 PM
    i'm one of the people you refer to as easily being able to get through a day with more than enough battery left to feel comfortable.

I does happen and is not a fantasy.

As your problem has happened on a number of devices then maybe something other than the basic phone as it comes out of the box may be the issue.

Have you carried over some apps from your 9700 that are not OS 7 compatible ?

What has been advised a number of times is running your phone app free and seeing what the battery discharge is like.

Assuming that the app free phone works as it should, start adding the apps one by one until the culprit emerges.

Hope this helps you.
    Not many apps...and when installing i made sure i removed apps i never used like Google Talk, Wikitude and Microsoft messenger.
    I use BBM pretty heavily sometimes (200 contacts, 3 groups) but i'm pretty sure many of you have similar usage patterns...since the primary reason for getting a BB was for BBM, the possibility of uninstalling it as a control does not exist

Im sure there's something wrong with the radio stack or something. Exclusively on Wifi, I get vastly improved battery life. and of course on 2G battery life improves.

I'll try that hybrid and see if that does the trick.
    08-14-12 03:33 PM
    Believe you me, I know where you're coming from with your rant. I've been there as well. My second 9900 was eating through battery life so quickly, I couldn't get through 10-12 hours of heavy use before the berry would just shut down .

I finally managed to get the unit replaced by Rogers. Received the phone and noticed that there was something wrong just by pounding out a few BBMs - battery level dropped to 92% in a matter of minutes. Back to Rogers I went, and after a lot of arguing, received another 9900. This time around, all else being equal (same battery, 7.1.0.324 with .318 radio stack), the average battery discharge rate rarely exceeds 3.2%/hr ... yes, it spikes when using the BB heavily, but drops to zero discharge as soon as I stop using it.

What I do know is that fairly decent battery life is achievable on this phone using stock battery. For example, my phone reads 79% battery right now. I performed a quick charge after getting back from work yesterday evening and unplugged the charger at 7:45pm ...... I've sent out & received a combined 47 BBMs today, 10 emails with attachments, checked weather (Accuweather app) quite a few times (perhaps 10) and battery's still going super strong.

This leads me to believe that there are MANY 9900 units out there with some sort of defect which cause(s) the battery to drain abnormally quickly. Perhaps the CPU doesn't cycle down properly, something else like a little short somewhere? Who knows, I didn't test either.

Read more about my observations regarding the latest firmware (7.1.0.569) here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7566261

Either way, I'm looking forward to receiving the Mugen battery to see if that allows me to get even more uptime on the 9900.

Cheers.
    I read your rant yesterday and I see you know exactly what i'm talking about. I have friends that keep their phones constantly on the charger in the office so they aren't that fazed but I'm not used to such drastic measures.

i too feel that there are some units of the 9900 that may be suffering from abnormal battery issues. Unlike you lucky fellows, we don't have robust return policies or any official Blackberry stores in Nigeria...I pretty much buy all these 99x0 devices i've churned through off contract at full retail price. I paid the equivalent of $528 for my recent 9900.

I wish I could get a 3% discharge rate like you...that would be nirvana for me and would make the wait for BB10 much more tolerable. I guess i'll put in the hybrid OS tonight and watch for a few days.

I'll put in an order for the Mugen battery but this is getting disheartening to be honest. I was up until 1 am last night doing the device switch thingy and seeing drain rates as high as 12% today just ruined my day.

PS: Could doing a device switch have copied over some files from my old 9900 which would carry over the battery issues? Would restoring from a Backup have been better?
    08-14-12 03:47 PM
    12% per hour huh,,...

Besides exchanging phones, what have you done to increase your battery life?
    08-14-12 04:26 PM
    12% per hour huh,,...

Besides exchanging phones, what have you done to increase your battery life?
    Uninstalled loads of apps (I dont even have Facebook anymore ). Setup just 2 emails. Reduced screen brightness to the minimum. Set up battery saving mode to kick in at 50% battery life. Turn off bluetooth and NFC. Use Wifi when I can to reduce dependence on mobile networks.

Sometimes i switch to 2G if I need to delay the inevitable.
    08-14-12 04:53 PM
    Uninstalled loads of apps (I dont even have Facebook anymore ). Setup just 2 emails. Reduced screen brightness to the minimum. Set up battery saving mode to kick in at 50% battery life. Turn off bluetooth and NFC. Use Wifi when I can to reduce dependence on mobile networks.

Sometimes i switch to 2G if I need to delay the inevitable.
    Did you try the Application Resource Monitor and device analyzer battery tests? Both of those should tell you what is actually draining in the background.
    08-14-12 05:01 PM
    Did you try the Application Resource Monitor and device analyzer battery tests? Both of those should tell you what is actually draining in the background.
    I had the Application resource monitor on my older 9900. Not sure how to enable it here.

From my Blackberry device analyser test, the module with the Highest CPU time is net_rim_bb_qm_peer, followed by Ubersocial.

i'll try and grab a screenshot and paste
    08-14-12 05:49 PM
    If you're running an older OS it the BARM won't be included in the OS. Otherwise you can either upgrade the OS to something newer like 7.1.0.569 or sign up in beta zone to try out the latest version of it OTA.
    08-14-12 06:08 PM

why dont you set battery saving mode to on all the time? i do any my phone lasts all day from 7am through to 11pm and still have 25% capacity left?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-15-12 06:04 AM
    Could someone make a review? Why are there so few people who are interest in this battery?
    08-17-12 09:47 AM
    er... perhaps because nobody's received their battery yet? Mugen only made the battery available since Aug 10 & they just started shipping them out Saturday/Sunday from overseas...

Additionally, according to instructions posted on their site, it takes 5-7 full charge/discharge cycles to ensure full charging capacity is reached. That in itself would set back any attempt at a proper review until that whole procedure is dealt with.

I'd be weary of anyone's post claiming the battery life is "awesome" after just or 1 day of use.
    Last edited by upset; 08-17-12 at 10:30 AM.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    08-17-12 10:21 AM
    Papped, why won't you review this battery?

Why would I review it? I'm not really interested in it.

Sent from my BB 9900 using the CB Forums App!
    08-17-12 11:24 AM
    Could someone make a review? Why are there so few people who are interest in this battery?
    You'll be seeing quite a few reviews (including mine) once people start getting them, which should be within the next few weeks.
    08-17-12 02:46 PM
    Wow. Didn't realize that stock batteries were so cheap! They are so thin, I'm thinking that I'll just go that route.

This gives, truly, twice the battery life... only need to tolerate the one battery swap and reboot time.

Frankly, my 9930 is doing really well with battery life. When I got it, with 7.0, I was unhappy. It was an instant and significant improvement when it went to 7.1.
    08-17-12 05:46 PM
    Wow. Didn't realize that stock batteries were so cheap! They are so thin, I'm thinking that I'll just go that route.

This gives, truly, twice the battery life... only need to tolerate the one battery swap and reboot time.

Frankly, my 9930 is doing really well with battery life. When I got it, with 7.0, I was unhappy. It was an instant and significant improvement when it went to 7.1.
    OEM batteries go for under $10 on Amazon.com so no excuse for not having a spare, takes less than 3 minutes to replace, reboot and be back in business with a fresh, fully charged battery.
    llllBULLSEYE likes this.
    08-18-12 03:17 PM
    yes I don't understand why people don't have spare batteries.
    Heck that's one huge advantage over iPhones. A spare battery and charger is
    only $15 shipped. My spare battery fits in my wallet.
    I also have one charge spared battery in my cars glovebox, which I have
    yet to use.
    mikeplus1 and toolop75 like this.
    08-19-12 01:21 PM
    It's 20% extra capacity. So, you will be able to use the phone for 20% more. I also heard on their FB that they want to make a 3000mAh battery for BB9900. That's what I want to see
    I have found that batteries from 3rd parties can "claim" to have what ever they want while in the real world, they deliver no more or even less!

Snake oil! Some will claim they work WAY better while most will need to use their imagination.
    mikeplus1 likes this.
    08-19-12 02:48 PM
    yep, thats why I opted for the 3200, more likely to guarantee an increase of some sort, especially when it's 3x larger

Sent from my BB 9900 using the CB Forums App!
    08-19-12 04:02 PM
    yes I don't understand why people don't have spare batteries.
    Heck that's one huge advantage over iPhones. A spare battery and charger is
    only $15 shipped. My spare battery fits in my wallet.
    I also have one charge spared battery in my cars glovebox, which I have
    yet to use.
    iPhone users do not need to carry a spare battery in their wallet!
    08-20-12 04:07 AM
    That is totally true, however in my experience these are usually cheap batteries that you can find on eBay or Amazon..Seidio or Mugen are real deal, otherwise they would be out of business already with their prices.
    The above statement is not based on any fact.

The are MANY products on the market that do little to nothing but sell very well because to buyers are desperate.
    08-20-12 04:10 AM
183 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD