Does anyone know how to remove this annoying msn messenger virus from a BB bold? I tried uninstalling the program and changing the password, but I a still getting those annoying messages
    06-09-09 10:54 AM
    Can you elaborate on the message? As far as I know there are NO viruses that impact a blackberry, so I doubt that is what you have...
    06-09-09 11:07 AM
    What I think the op is refering to is getting messages from their contacts with stuff like "check out my new pics here" or "i lost 30 lbs in 5 days on acai berry, check it out here" etc...

Its not the BB thats infected its the contacts PC that is compromised and is sending out the messages.
    06-09-09 11:11 AM
    Thanks...

The it sounds like the solution is to get rid of those contacts until they clean up their act on their end?

Sounds like a good reason to skip MSN messenger...
    06-09-09 11:13 AM
    What I think the op is refering to is getting messages from their contacts with stuff like "check out my new pics here" or "i lost 30 lbs in 5 days on acai berry, check it out here" etc...

Its not the BB thats infected its the contacts PC that is compromised and is sending out the messages.
    But what if I am getting messages from contacts I have never added? Different random contact addresses with similar messages you have stated?
    06-09-09 11:14 AM
    Still not a virus...just a weakness of MSN messenger, or so it sounds...

Sounds like you need to stop using that app if you get spammed by it.
    06-09-09 11:23 AM
    Ok cool...thanks
    06-09-09 11:28 AM
    If you're getting msg'd by people not on your contact list there is a way to fix that, when signed into msn on your pc

while in msn messenger go to tools -> options -> privacy and check the box that only allows people on your allow/contact list to contact you.

The settings are an account preference and will carry over no matter what device or location you are using/are at.
    06-09-09 11:35 AM
    Will try that and see what happens
    06-09-09 02:40 PM
    This issue is not specific to Blackberry or even your client at all. It's your friends who have clicked the link in the message that you are receiving, which got them infected and now they are unknowingly sending you messages from their PCs.

I wouldn't recommend stopping usage of the service, as that's a little unnecessary and extreme.. and only someone who doesn't use the service would ever suggest that. But I'd say first, tell your friends that you are getting the messages from that they have a virus and to do a scan and get rid of it. Failing that, block them for the time being.

Also, as Dawdle suggested, you should set your settings on your PC side client to only allow messages from people who are currently on your contact list. That way no randoms can just spam you for no reason (which is probably how the virus originated anyway).
    06-10-09 01:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD