Well i got my Bold 3 months ago and (i think) i want to try to update my Bold's OS Currently i'm running OS 4.6.0.190 (is this too outdated?) What's the most stable OS update that you guys can recommend me? Any new functionality that is given in it, is it for any BB devices on any carriers?

Quite intimidated to actually update it lol. Would i loose all my contancts, sms, 3rd party apps?

really appreciate your help.

*i know there's a link on how to upgrade your OS, but i just want recommendation on the most stables ones and any tips possible.

thanks!!
    06-28-09 05:21 AM
    i personally run .266. i keep seeing some people have issues with .282, and ive never run it so i cant comment about it. but .266 was very stable for me.
    06-28-09 05:34 AM
    Well i got my Bold 3 months ago and (i think) i want to try to update my Bold's OS Currently i'm running OS 4.6.0.190 (is this too outdated?) What's the most stable OS update that you guys can recommend me? Any new functionality that is given in it, is it for any BB devices on any carriers?

Quite intimidated to actually update it lol. Would i loose all my contancts, sms, 3rd party apps?

really appreciate your help.

*i know there's a link on how to upgrade your OS, but i just want recommendation on the most stables ones and any tips possible.

thanks!!
    I was a bit worried at first also. Ive owned my bold for about 2.5 months and since then ive done 3 upgrades. Its pretty easy as long as you follow the directions and you can back up all your data which includes contacts, 3rd party apps, etc. I would definetely suggest an update to something like .247 or higher. Generally your going to find your bold running faster, getting more memory and better battery life when you upgrade and maybe even better reception. If you have at&t bold then i would suggest upgrading to .282 so you can switch between 2g and 3g when you like.
    06-28-09 05:34 AM
    yea as long as you back everything up first, updating is a breeze. takes about 20 mins though from start to finish so allow a little time to do it right.
    06-28-09 06:28 AM
    If you have at&t bold then i would suggest upgrading to .282 so you can switch between 2g and 3g when you like.
    i don't have at&t and i'm not from the US or Europe lol (Asia to be exact) would that be any problem?

for 3rd party apps, is it enough if i just go to Backup And Restore>Backup? (i'm running DM 4.7) When i went to the Options button, it says: Additional Device Memory and there's a check box Backup on Board Device Memory. Is this the part where it save:
    -the 1GB data that's internal to the Blackbery
    or
    -the 3rd party apps
    or
    -the contacts

or the whole thing?

lol sorry i was just able to use the DM for a while.
    06-28-09 06:45 AM
    .266 recommended here - resolved a few issues and works fine.
    06-28-09 07:56 AM
    My vote goes to .247. I've been extremely satisfied with it. I tried .266 but quickly went back to .247.
    06-28-09 08:02 AM
    i don't have at&t and i'm not from the US or Europe lol (Asia to be exact) would that be any problem?

for 3rd party apps, is it enough if i just go to Backup And Restore>Backup? (i'm running DM 4.7) When i went to the Options button, it says: Additional Device Memory and there's a check box Backup on Board Device Memory. Is this the part where it save:
    -the 1GB data that's internal to the Blackbery
    or
    -the 3rd party apps
    or
    -the contacts

or the whole thing?

lol sorry i was just able to use the DM for a while.
    When you back up everything, it pretty much saves everything...
    Anything on a microSD card will remain there but won't be backed up.
    06-28-09 08:03 AM
    The software you have installed is very old, and bug ridden. If you upgrade it will be like getting a new phone. You will love the difference in speed and stability. Anything from 237 up is good but most suggest 247 or 266. Its very easy to update.
    06-28-09 08:25 AM
    The software you have installed is very old, and bug ridden. If you upgrade it will be like getting a new phone. You will love the difference in speed and stability. Anything from 237 up is good but most suggest 247 or 266. Its very easy to update.
    very encouraging

i heard from posters from a different forums stating that even if you upgrade your OS to a different version, the 3rd party apps will still be there (or is it will be restore? )

and would the backup save my YM and SMS history?

+ can i downgrade back to the original OS that came with the phone?
    06-28-09 08:54 AM
    Yes when you upgrade successfully the thrid party applications are still installed. When you upgrade the software through the desktop manager it automatically saves your information. If you usee the Apploader wizard, it asks if you want to back up the information. This includes all information on the phone. And yes you can downgrade the software to any version at any time.
    06-28-09 09:03 AM
    Yes when you upgrade successfully the thrid party applications are still installed. When you upgrade the software through the desktop manager it automatically saves your information. If you usee the Apploader wizard, it asks if you want to back up the information. This includes all information on the phone. And yes you can downgrade the software to any version at any time.
    thank you!
    Relic whats the link that you (yes you - lol) use to get the update. can you provide it for me? I trust yours much more then some random link at Google lol.
    06-28-09 09:07 AM
    thank you!
    Relic whats the link that you (yes you - lol) use to get the update. can you provide it for me? I trust yours much more then some random link at Google lol.
    Go to BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

Look for Europe and then look for Vodafone UK. Select device software, then BlackBerry 9000 and applications version .266 should be available. Download that. If you need help with install just post back.
    06-28-09 09:28 AM
    I second the 247 suggestion, very stable.

Use this process (Advanced). I did not use JL in line 7, I used CRackmem. No need to wipe on an upgrade.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/pro...ocedure-53359/

Here are the OS's.
    https://hookedontronyx.com/Blackberr...ems/Bold-9000/
    06-28-09 09:34 AM
    Go to BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

Look for Europe and then look for Vodafone UK. Select device software, then BlackBerry 9000 and applications version .266 should be available. Download that. If you need help with install just post back.
    hurm...i'm leaving at Asia, is it ok if i use the Europe one?
    06-28-09 10:03 AM
    hurm...i'm leaving at Asia, is it ok if i use the Europe one?
    It really doesn't matter which one you choose as long as they have the version you want. I am pretty sure Vodafone UK has application version 266. That or app version would be the one I suggest.
    06-28-09 12:05 PM
    If you have an original hardware revision Bold like I do (Rogers launch day in August 2008, with corresponding battery) then I believe that version 4.6.0.185 is the most stable for this hardware (which I am using at the moment, off the top of my head I have tried 125, 147, 162, 167v1, 167v2 (ATT's hybrid), 185, 190, 210, 216, something 220-240, 247, 266, 282). I believe that TIM Italy is the one to watch if you have an early Rogers Bold because of all the versions TIM Italy has released, all of them were good for the Rogers Bold (162, 185, 247). All other builds from elsewhere have also worked, with varying degrees of success but those 3 numbers were very good.

Reasons:

-Clean install will give you 59.7-60 mb free memory with 1 third party application installed (and no BB games). Later builds only give you about 40 mb with the exact same configuration for no reason that I can understand.

-The signal strength bars don't bounce about constantly like other builds do, they stay fairly stable at 5 with only a little wavering. Perhaps this is a bug but I feel better that they don't move as much as the other builds do. Rogers last official build was 4.6.0.162 and was also fairly stable with the bar movements. 4.6.0.282 was definitely worse radio quality imho as it wasn't able to hold on to signals in specific locations that other builds could.

-It feels responsive enough. It is true that later builds are a tad faster, but there are some compromises made. It is still faster running than official Rogers 162 and official ATT 167 regardless.

-Doesn't require a custom pppd for Bluetooth tethering for the Mac like the 200 series does (190 is the last build that doesn't require the custom pppd). (The lack of tethering is fixable inside OS X, but it requires you replacing the pppd with a new one if using the 200 series.)

-Battery life is ok and cool to the touch, some other builds run warm and drain battery. 190 is an example of one that doesn't like my hardware despite being close in version number.

-GPS lock is fast enough. Some builds are very slow at obtaining lock.

-Font rendering is different in the BB browser (this is a big one for me). All browser versions before the 200 series have cleaner looking fonts on webpages. The 200 series for whatever reason use a different rendering which I feel doesn't look as good because I can see more obvious jaggy lines on W's, A's, etc. That said, you'll want to also have installed other browsers like Bolt, Opera, etc. because none of the 3 browsers can do everything.

-Certain software compatibility, 185 was the last build that MS Live Search worked on for example if that's an application you use.

-Other minor things. For example, it doesn't suffer from really slow picture displaying bugs certain later builds (not all) do.

People with different Bold revisions and different batteries will have different results from myself with other build versions.
    Last edited by Technarch; 06-28-09 at 12:50 PM.
    06-28-09 12:40 PM
    I'm using .282 and it has been working well for me.
    06-28-09 04:18 PM
    im using .266 and have never had any issues ever. as much as id like to update for that 2G/3G switch, i dont wanna run into any of these problems people are getting with slow picture displayings and bad battery life...
    06-28-09 10:18 PM
    .266 has a nasty problem of rebooting if you try to skip around while listening to music/podcasts. I rolled back to .247 to solve the problem. Haven't tried .282.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 12:39 AM
    is this one good:

4.6.0.266 (East Asia Beta)

couldn't get the link but what cought my eye was the word 'asia' lol (since i'm from asia)

regarding the 2G/3G switch, my bold which came with the factory setting 2.6.0.190 already has it. So..., why is it that some version above .190 only has it now?

owh and btw what is service books? Sorry guys..i'm a noob at this
    Last edited by bb_jbt; 06-29-09 at 04:35 AM.
    06-29-09 04:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD