Enough with the speculation, the rumors, the spokespersons commenting on our blogging abilities � we�re setting it all straight right here with this internal RIM doc we just got a hold of. You might be thinking that cover page above is the best part � it is pretty sexy isn�t it � well, it�s not. We�ve got the rundown on everything from language support, to themes, to the redone media appplications. We�re talking the browser, the setup wizard, Wi-Fi, streaming video, and anything else you could want. The latest release date we�re hearing is actually July now (go figure), and that RIM is working on those power problems with the quickness. As we�ve been told, the newer builds are definitely better but not quite there yet. We�ve got a good idea of when it�s going to be announced, but we�ll keep that one to ourselves for now. You know you want to jump over to our gallery!
    It's coming... And the latest word on the street says July....

Check the story and see the picture gallery over at TheBoyGenius.
    04-29-08 01:51 PM
    Good information! Gracias.
    04-29-08 04:43 PM
    Thank you for the informations.
    04-29-08 04:47 PM
    The only thing it didn't tell us is how much internal memory and why not.
    04-29-08 07:59 PM
    Not impressed by what I'm seeing. There is nothing new to the industry on those spec sheets. So far RIM is frantically playing catch-up.

Where's the eyecandy damn it. Screensavers, animated lock screens, radical themes w/zooming icons, screen gadgets for stocks or weather, bigger screen, etc.? I think it's time RIM gets out of this "Corporate two-way pager" product design and come up with something new and exciting. There's nothing wrong with what they are doing because they like their old ways, but time for them to actually come up with something that's going to stun and amaze people. So far I don't see anything close to that.
    04-29-08 08:21 PM
    A lot may say that RIM is playing catch-up, but they aren't. How many re-calls and updates does RIM have to release compared to windows/nokia? They have a great stable/reliable product. To me, all the other companies are playing catch-up to RIM.
    04-30-08 12:00 AM
    Not impressed by what I'm seeing. There is nothing new to the industry on those spec sheets. So far RIM is frantically playing catch-up.

Where's the eyecandy damn it. Screensavers, animated lock screens, radical themes w/zooming icons, screen gadgets for stocks or weather, bigger screen, etc.? I think it's time RIM gets out of this "Corporate two-way pager" product design and come up with something new and exciting. There's nothing wrong with what they are doing because they like their old ways, but time for them to actually come up with something that's going to stun and amaze people. So far I don't see anything close to that.
    Their old ways are their bread and butter..and really, the corp account that just paid $30,000+ for their 500 user BES, dont care if their device has a animated screensaver, they care that it works the way it's supposed to, meets the needs of the user and the company and maintains a great overall cost for the company.

The consumer market for RIM devices is getting larger, but it is NOT that large as of yet, not in comparison to the corp market where RIM makes their $$, RIM does not NEED to have alot of extra crap loaded onto their devices, yayy!! the iPhone and Nokia Phones have accelerometers to make to make the screen look cool...thats great!...Whats it do besides look cute?...Nothing.

RIM may be playing catch up in the "looks" dept, slowly but surely..but everyone else is catching up to RIM in functionality..I mean think about it...Apple made agreements...yes you read that right...agreements with Microsoft for their activesync to take on RIM...Two giants that really can't stand each other, to take down one lil company from Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
    04-30-08 03:02 AM
    RIM may be playing catch up in the "looks" dept, slowly but surely..but everyone else is catching up to RIM in functionality..I mean think about it...Apple made agreements...yes you read that right...agreements with Microsoft for their activesync to take on RIM...Two giants that really can't stand each other, to take down one lil company from Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
    I disagree with you that it's taking two companies to try and take down RIM. Apple really had no choice in doing the ActiveSync licensing. It's pretty much the industry standard if you don't want to shell out mula for licenses left and right and go with Blackberry. BES licenses is RIM's cash cow. Take that away and they are blowing in the wind. They set it up like this from the beginning for a reason. Also, remember that RIM started the whole BB thing with email transport before MS got underway with ActiveSync, so of course they will be more ahead in terms of customer fanbase. Dollar for dollar however, ActiveSync which is already licensed out of the box with Exchange is much better then anything from RIM. It's seamless, complete push, and works automously without the needs of a 3rd party (RIM) network being up. It depends on two things, corporate network and server being up and the carrier's data network to be functional. None of this RIM outage BS.

I think it was very smart for Apple to finally put their pride down a little and license ActiveSync. They now have a push conduit that didn't take a lot of money and time to develop for the iPhone. The iPhone can now be used in a corporate environment without having to resort to the IMAP BS that they had support with 1.0. In all reality, when you look at it, it's RIM products that have a limitation now out of the box in terms of full Exchange support for full Sync, not the iPhone or WM based handsets. To me the deciding factors for BB was really the ease of quick use form the homescreen in terms of just typing a user in and hitting menu to get access to functions and battery life. Right now WM just isn't streamlined enough for that and let's face it, battery life on those phones suck. I guess we'll see where iPhone 2.0 takes us all. In terms of security... the only thing the BB has for it is that no one wants to hack the thing because it's currently not a high-% consumer phone. As that changes, be ready for the hacks to release. Sure, there will still be some limitations due to push-service books for some features, but things will change. There are already hacks for these phones to unlock certain chipset features like DUN, etc. The only missing factor is information at this point, but that's advancing as well. Every day we're seeing more and more leaked info coming from RIM. Take this BG article for instance.
    04-30-08 08:47 AM
    You also have to know how many iPhones will actually be used in the corporate environment and allowed to be connected to an exchange server. Just because Apples say so doesn't make it real. Unless they offer some real reason companies are simply not going to jump on.

Also when will Apple actually make a web browser with Anti-Phising abilities? They do lag in some areas and security is certainly an area of risk. As apple grows so does the hacker community that will want to take it down.
    04-30-08 11:36 AM
    You also have to know how many iPhones will actually be used in the corporate environment and allowed to be connected to an exchange server. Just because Apples say so doesn't make it real. Unless they offer some real reason companies are simply not going to jump on.

Also when will Apple actually make a web browser with Anti-Phising abilities? They do lag in some areas and security is certainly an area of risk. As apple grows so does the hacker community that will want to take it down.
    Good points on the corporate environment integration, but you'll find that as time passes more will allow these devices to be attached. The times of "We won't attach it because we don't want to" has gone. IT used to be ruled by the IT Administrator, in some cases with companies, that ruling has been moved back into the area of the company owner. If they want you to do something, you better have a damn good reason for not doing it. The "we didn't test it yet" or "it's not secure" excuses simply don't cut it anymore. More and more companies want "actual" proof that something is not secure. The simple response from the geek in IT is not enough anymore. That being said, as more IT depts have the time to test this new item and implment it, you'll see that it's really no different then when they first implemented BBs or WM devices into the infrastructure. Just another growing pain, that's all.

As for the anti-phishing abilities of the browser, good for RIM if their proxies actually do that, but WM based handsets don't proxy just like the iPhone doesn't... same security issues with WM, yet you see corporations supporting those devices every day. It's not enough of an excuse.
    04-30-08 02:25 PM
    Sorry, the browser comment I made was more about the Apple Mac OS X desktop browser. Still I do agree that it will make inroads but it will not destroy BlackBerry which is highly entrenched in Gov't and Fortune 1000 world.
    04-30-08 04:29 PM
    No one said it would destroy the BB, I just said that RIM's dragging **** when it comes to cool new features. Hack, the 9k specs just released today to BG and wait for it.... 2MP camera. Yey! Note to RIM, don't put a chrome ring around the 9k and say you're going against the iPhone. People will laugh at you.

*Edit*
    And no, I'm not saying the iPhone has a better camera with this statement. What I'm saying is that I feel like we keep getting the same insides in a different outside from RIM. Wow, that's innovation right there! Woot! So the new OS should have a better browser, big deal, I already do that with OperaMini now. Come up with something NEW! They're also stepping back in the wrong direction with going aGPS instead of autonomous GSP. Sounds like they were pressured from certain carriers to limit that feature so people from other carriers will stop claiming that some carriers lock down GPS for a profit. :thumbsdown:
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 04-30-08 at 08:30 PM.
    04-30-08 08:20 PM
    i'm geting tired of hearing how its been delayed again. just release it already or dont say anything until you do.... sheesh!
    04-30-08 08:23 PM
    The main reason isn't push and battery life. It's actually security and stability. RIM has the most secure network for transferring confidential/top secret information as well as personal. Although RIM has had outages, the device itself is not only stable when it comes to the operating system, but also rF (reception.)

Good points on the corporate environment integration, but you'll find that as time passes more will allow these devices to be attached. The times of "We won't attach it because we don't want to" has gone. IT used to be ruled by the IT Administrator, in some cases with companies, that ruling has been moved back into the area of the company owner. If they want you to do something, you better have a damn good reason for not doing it. The "we didn't test it yet" or "it's not secure" excuses simply don't cut it anymore. More and more companies want "actual" proof that something is not secure. The simple response from the geek in IT is not enough anymore. That being said, as more IT depts have the time to test this new item and implment it, you'll see that it's really no different then when they first implemented BBs or WM devices into the infrastructure. Just another growing pain, that's all.

As for the anti-phishing abilities of the browser, good for RIM if their proxies actually do that, but WM based handsets don't proxy just like the iPhone doesn't... same security issues with WM, yet you see corporations supporting those devices every day. It's not enough of an excuse.
    05-02-08 02:09 AM
    main reason to get an iphone is cos they're way cooler. main reason to get abb is cos the buttons arent too close together to actiually let you type anything. thios isdz ipohoinew styl;we typoing...
    12-15-08 04:18 PM
    Way to bring back a totally dead and old topic
    12-15-08 06:07 PM
    main reason to get an iphone is cos they're way cooler. main reason to get abb is cos the buttons arent too close together to actiually let you type anything. thios isdz ipohoinew styl;we typoing...
    Iphones & Black Berry devices are completley different from each other as it is not practical to make a comparison between the two. If you actually have owned & used either of them for an extended period of time, you would understand this. Using a store's display model to form an opion about either is just plain ignorant. I know people like to argue about which device is better but rather than comparing Ford to Chevy, comparing an Iphone to a BB is like comparing a minivan to an SUV; not a good comparison. How about comparing BB with Palm or a Windows Mobile device?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by gaganchow; 12-15-08 at 06:21 PM.
    12-15-08 06:18 PM
    Yea they are completely different . . . The iphone has a really neat fake fireplace, fake beer mug, and a fake call app. The BB, BOLD in my case, is a star studded work horse for business professionals!
    12-15-08 06:36 PM
    Yea they are completely different . . . The iphone has a really neat fake fireplace, fake beer mug, and a fake call app. The BB, BOLD in my case, is a star studded work horse for business professionals!
    I agree with you that your Bold is far superior as a business tool when compared to the Iphone but if your are looking for a device with numerous multimedia applications, enjoy listening to music, watching videos and surfing the web, the Iphone is the best choice.

Blackberry also offers the same stupid fireplace theme and as far as the fake call app., it is more useful than you think.

They both serve different purposes. Enough said.
    12-15-08 06:58 PM
    I waited long time to have a 9000 but my contract wouldnt finish !!!

so I waited, I had a n95 8GB it was soooo nice, great camera, nice features, free apps, free games, nice screen... BUT, when I got my 9000 it was ALL AWAY.. the features are amazing, the device is remarkable, BB is the best for me, not saying the best among all devices... just for me, I woulnt change it right now..

My .02

Jas
    12-15-08 08:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD