Is the only purpose of the media card for data files, pictures and music?

According to the manual, I need to have at least 400 KB for applications. I've got 118.5 MB free space of application memory and very few apps installed, so I've got some room.

But everything I read here talks about being conscious of applications taking up space. Since I delete messages and email as I go along, I'm not wasting space that way, but I see lots of neat applications that could potentially eat my memory right up.

Seems like I should be able to store games and the like on the media card as well? Or not?

Or, should I just delete every application I'm not using to free up more space for ones I like? I'm not interested in some of the games, brain challenge, make ur tones, stuff like that.

Thanks!
    04-27-10 01:19 PM
    Is the only purpose of the media card for data files, pictures and music?

According to the manual, I need to have at least 400 KB for applications. I've got 118.5 MB free space of application memory and very few apps installed, so I've got some room.

But everything I read here talks about being conscious of applications taking up space. Since I delete messages and email as I go along, I'm not wasting space that way, but I see lots of neat applications that could potentially eat my memory right up.

Seems like I should be able to store games and the like on the media card as well? Or not?

Or, should I just delete every application I'm not using to free up more space for ones I like? I'm not interested in some of the games, brain challenge, make ur tones, stuff like that.

Thanks!
    I would not be concerned with space until you reach around 30mb remaining.
    I have emails/texts/etc going back months, with no ill effect on the phone.
    I would make sure your camera is set to save photos/videos to the sd card, that way you wont run out of space that way.
    04-27-10 01:22 PM
    thanks!

I'm still not sure why 256 MB is the standard for the non touch screen models...
    04-27-10 08:14 PM
    It is the standard from here on out. And there is no internal memory on the 9700, so there is no way to save pictures unless you have a media card.
    04-27-10 08:32 PM
    It is the standard from here on out. And there is no internal memory on the 9700, so there is no way to save pictures unless you have a media card.
    This is flat out wrong.

There is 256mbRam, and 256mb for the os+apps
    Last edited by rdyoung; 04-27-10 at 09:17 PM.
    04-27-10 08:48 PM
    I think you'll find that 512mb will be the standard from now on

...and there's 32Mb of device memory on the 9700, which is plenty to save pics without a memory card

04-27-10 08:54 PM

...and there's 32Mb of device memory on the 9700, which is plenty to save pics without a memory card

That 32mb is changeable, if you have a sd card, you can set that limit down to 5mb so you have another 27mbs available for apps.
    04-27-10 09:16 PM
    That 32mb is changeable, if you have a sd card, you can set that limit down to 5mb so you have another 27mbs available for apps.
    You're right, and that's how I normally have mine set.

I was just trying to prove a point that the 9700 does indeed have internal memory for media.
    04-27-10 09:26 PM
    You're right, and that's how I normally have mine set.

I was just trying to prove a point that the 9700 does indeed have internal memory for media.
    righto, its ridiculous what some people will claim without the correct info.
    04-27-10 09:29 PM
    So I can dedicate some of that memory card I have yet to purchase to applications?
    04-28-10 03:43 PM

ok... i'm dumb... how do you get to this screen (or is it 3rd party app) and how to limit the on-board to 5mb only?
    04-28-10 04:40 PM
    ok... i'm dumb... how do you get to this screen (or is it 3rd party app) and how to limit the on-board to 5mb only?
    No 3rd party app needed. Go to your media folder, hit the bb button and select options, its right there.
    04-28-10 04:46 PM
    ok.. found it... so what's the advantage/disadvantage of changing the device memory limit from 32MB down to 15 or 5 ?
    04-28-10 04:56 PM
    i tried switching that 32MB down to 5MB... no change in my availalble app memory (I have 109MB left right now)... stays the same whether I leave the device mem limit at 32 or change to 5... so ???
    04-28-10 04:59 PM
    i tried switching that 32MB down to 5MB... no change in my availalble app memory (I have 109MB left right now)... stays the same whether I leave the device mem limit at 32 or change to 5... so ???
    Just making an educated guess here, but heres what I think is happening.
    the device memory limit is a hidden limit the os sets aside for whatever you want to store on that part of the phone. When you look at the file free, or the available space in appworld its likely a part of that #, its just not shown as seperate space.
    04-28-10 05:14 PM
    That doesn't affect the overall file free memory, all it does is limit the amount of device memory for media (pics and songs etc.) and re-allocate that extra memory for apps. The total memory amount will obviously remain the same.

EDIT: I should point out that the above is just my understanding of how it works.
    I could be, and probably am... completely wrong
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 04-28-10 at 07:48 PM.
    04-28-10 05:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD