I have had my BOLD since June 16. I've updated the software to .282 had a memory leak. I checked all apps, several battery pulls, shut down bluetooth, wifi, etc to no avail. I downgraded the phone back to AT&T's original installed software. The leak still persisted after many battery pulls, making sure no apps were working in the background. I removed my email accounts, just running a bare phone with appointments and contact list.

I took the phone back to AT&T yesterday, Tuesday June 23, they replaced the phone with a new one and replaced the sim card. This new phone leaks also. I picked up the phone at 12:15 p.m. on Tuesday and at 2:44 a.m. on Wednesday the phone has leaked 3mbs. In the interim I have done 3 battery pulls, made sure no apps are running. I have only loaded my contacts and appointments. I also have a 8900 that I have upgraded to the .250 and it works wonderfully, no leaks what-so-ever.

Is this a situation specific to the BOLD or does anyone have any idea(s)? I still have the factory plastic on the screen and over the camera lense. I am ready to return and just use the 8900 and wait for the Onyx or something else coming in later.

Thanks in advance.
    06-24-09 08:03 AM
    It's only dropped 3MB? That's not a leak.
    06-24-09 08:07 AM
    Okay? Please give me some insight as to what is happening? The 8900 does not have this same characteristic?
    Thanks
    06-24-09 08:21 AM
    After a battery pull the phone begins to launch some apps (BBM, the actual phone, etc) and uses a small amount of memory. A drop of 3MB is nothing at all. What is you memory at?
    06-24-09 08:23 AM
    Makes sense what you say about using memory while phone is booted up. It just seems that it would stabilize, which is basically what I am checking for. I have not used the phone it is just sitting (using the 8900 for now) to find out if and where it will no longer drop. I have plenty of memory (36.9 mbs.) This may be its baseline since it has not dropped any further in an hour or so. Again the 8900 does not have the same characteristic.

I am just trying to learn and understand. I appreciate the assistance.

Thanks
    06-24-09 08:46 AM
    36 sounds just about right for the average phone on 2xx. You're in good shape.

EDIT: And it will fluctuate up and down as you use apps.
    06-24-09 08:47 AM
    My understanding is a true memory leak is where memory will continue downward without rhyme or reason and rarely (if at all) levels off before you get really low. If it levels off soon after boot up, then that _should_ just be normal background things (as bt224 described). Also, I have seen where some apps will grab resources at boot up (or shortly after) even if they aren't technically running.
    06-24-09 08:58 AM
    Okay, I appreciate the information and your time.

Thanks
    06-24-09 09:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD