View Poll Results: How much memory will the 9XXX series have?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less (How much?)

0 0%
  • 96MB

2 5.71%
  • More (How much?)

33 94.29%
    Anyone think there will be an increase of the memory when the 9XXX series is released? Seeing that the CMDA version of the Curve has 96MB, anyone believe the 9XXX series will have either 96MB or more?
    05-09-08 05:15 PM
    The rumors early on were 256MB or 1GB. BB users who expect to sync emails with docs in them and use DTG will need more memory unless RIM is planning on external email and attachment storage but that wouldn't come until OS 5.x if ever.
    05-09-08 10:28 PM
    1gig

/thread

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-08 09:45 AM
    I hope at least 2GB
    05-11-08 10:07 AM
    I hope at least 2GB

1GB has already been confirmed!
    05-11-08 06:46 PM
    It's going to be a GIG
    05-11-08 07:09 PM
    05-12-08 12:22 AM
    I don't care about the memory at the moment. I just want a friggin release date.
    05-12-08 12:25 AM
    Kevin stated on his 9000 is 1 GB and 128 MB flash.
    05-12-08 12:32 AM
    It is a shame that RIM did not really bite the bullet and deliver the thing with 8 - 16Gb on-board.

If they truly want to get into 'the phone as a do-everything, multimedia device' market then 8Gb is really the minimum for starters today. Even with the external Media Card slot and even if not all the internal memory is on the processor address space for installing apps. 1Gb should be enough for that with the remainin 7-16 as an internal Media Card.

Even the iPhone (which is not really a smartphone - it just has a coupe of phone+ features like multimedia and a very good browser - starts with 8Gb.
    Last edited by Pete6; 05-12-08 at 04:58 AM.
    05-12-08 04:20 AM
    baaaah iPhone, baaaaah. i need to be bold. . . i need to be bold. . .
    05-12-08 05:55 AM
    What everyone is overlooking is that it's 128MB Flash. That's the amount of memory that houses the Firmware, OS, Apps. The 1GB is secure memory used for docs saves in corporate environments. Basically the device would be no different then if you had a 128MB device with a 1GB removable MicroSD w/Encryption turned on for Media Card. The've just now included it internally making it a little more secure to get at the physical item by regular means.

The 9k still doesn't solve the memory issues that currently plague our BBs. What is the big deal RIM, why can't you just put more FLASH memory in the damn device?
    05-12-08 10:21 PM
    So how much Flash Memory will be left once the OS & DTG are installed, 20MB - 30MB or much less?
    05-13-08 11:48 AM
    Which ARM processor do RIM use? How much address space does it have?
    05-13-08 01:09 PM
    Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd comment here and put forth my memory-related question to anyone reading.
    First off, in response to some of the posts on this thread, how are some of you NOT satisfied with 1GB native memory??? This is PLENTY, and certainly better than any other previous Berry...
    And why on earth would anyone really need more than 4GB worth of card memory on a handheld device?? Seriously, people, your entire music/video/image collection doesn't really need to be at your fingertips does it? I am a devout listener of music and watcher of vids and I have yet to fill up my 4GB card, much less have a chance to listen to or watch everything that IS on there.
    I said this about the dumb Iphone too,...it must be a novelty, or a status thing, I guess, because I can't imagine why anyone would need this much memory all the time,...only in rare instances when you're doing some travelling and know you'll be bored enough to put a couple of really long movies on your device.
    But whatever floats your boats...

Now, my question...
    I've noticed in the specs for the Bold that it supports micro SD, but does not make the specification for micro SDHC. I know that the SDHC are not backwards compatible, so does this mean I won't be able to use my 4GB in the Bold if I get one, even though it works fine in my old school Pearl??

05-25-08 04:18 PM
    Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd comment here and put forth my memory-related question to anyone reading.
    First off, in response to some of the posts on this thread, how are some of you NOT satisfied with 1GB native memory??? This is PLENTY, and certainly better than any other previous Berry...
    And why on earth would anyone really need more than 4GB worth of card memory on a handheld device?? Seriously, people, your entire music/video/image collection doesn't really need to be at your fingertips does it? I am a devout listener of music and watcher of vids and I have yet to fill up my 4GB card, much less have a chance to listen to or watch everything that IS on there.
    I said this about the dumb Iphone too,...it must be a novelty, or a status thing, I guess, because I can't imagine why anyone would need this much memory all the time,...only in rare instances when you're doing some travelling and know you'll be bored enough to put a couple of really long movies on your device.
    But whatever floats your boats...

Now, my question...
    I've noticed in the specs for the Bold that it supports micro SD, but does not make the specification for micro SDHC. I know that the SDHC are not backwards compatible, so does this mean I won't be able to use my 4GB in the Bold if I get one, even though it works fine in my old school Pearl??

1 gig is good for maybe 2 properly formatted movies, 200ish 2mp pictures, and about 100 or so songs, if that. It is a nice upgrade for onboard storage, but it still isn't an immense amount of storage. Granted, the Bold can hold a 16 gig SD card, but those are going to be expensive, so... I personally know that I filled a 2 gig SD card with ease and I have 2 movies, 10 family guy episodes, about 100 pictures, and exactly 104 songs. With all that, I have about 400mb left open to me. Keep in mind that my movies are properly formatted for watching on a BlackBerry Curve, which has a slower processor and a lower resolution screen; when you start to format movies for the Bold with its faster processor and higher resolution capabilities, you are going to run into larger file sizes which will further cut into that space. It is still a good step in the right direction though.

About the SDHC cards, my Curve has one in it right now, so I can't imagine that the Bold won't also accommodate them.

Finally... What JRSCCivic98 said is true. The device only has 128mb of onboard flash memory for apps and system stuff. The 1 gig is just storage, it isn't for app installation or things of that nature. With the current line up of Berrys we have 64mb of memory built in, 35 of it is usually gone from the word go. The Bold will have more memory used to operate the upgraded OS and new installed items like Docs to Go, so I would confidently guess that the actual file free is going to be around 80-90mb. Granted, that is a far cry better than 20-30, but it still isn't a huge amount after you start installing items and such. Also, if the long running history of memory leaks carries over to the Bold, it really won't be all that much better than the current lineup. Better, yes, but it still leaves room for improvement.
    05-25-08 04:34 PM
    i say they go at least 1 g.
    05-25-08 04:53 PM
    1 gig is good for maybe 2 properly formatted movies, 200ish 2mp pictures, and about 100 or so songs, if that. It is a nice upgrade for onboard storage, but it still isn't an immense amount of storage. Granted, the Bold can hold a 16 gig SD card, but those are going to be expensive, so... I personally know that I filled a 2 gig SD card with ease and I have 2 movies, 10 family guy episodes, about 100 pictures, and exactly 104 songs. With all that, I have about 400mb left open to me. Keep in mind that my movies are properly formatted for watching on a BlackBerry Curve, which has a slower processor and a lower resolution screen; when you start to format movies for the Bold with its faster processor and higher resolution capabilities, you are going to run into larger file sizes which will further cut into that space. It is still a good step in the right direction though.

About the SDHC cards, my Curve has one in it right now, so I can't imagine that the Bold won't also accommodate them.

Finally... What JRSCCivic98 said is true. The device only has 128mb of onboard flash memory for apps and system stuff. The 1 gig is just storage, it isn't for app installation or things of that nature. With the current line up of Berrys we have 64mb of memory built in, 35 of it is usually gone from the word go. The Bold will have more memory used to operate the upgraded OS and new installed items like Docs to Go, so I would confidently guess that the actual file free is going to be around 80-90mb. Granted, that is a far cry better than 20-30, but it still isn't a huge amount after you start installing items and such. Also, if the long running history of memory leaks carries over to the Bold, it really won't be all that much better than the current lineup. Better, yes, but it still leaves room for improvement.
    Well said...and understood more properly now.
    I was under the impression that the 1GB was replacing the 64mb Flash Memory, as opposed to just being onboard storage.. Chalk that one up to me not paying close enough attention. In that case, assuming one is the type to have tons of apps,(which I'm really not), I can see why it would be desirable to have at least 256mb Flash Memory, if not more.
    As for adding extra storage, I guess it's just me. I'm not a big fan of watching movies or even short television shows on tiny screens, so I haven't done it much with my Pearl. A few clips or previews or how-to vids here and there, but no full episodes or movies because I just don't do the travelling or have the time that would facilitate this option.
    I can understand that everyone uses their BBs for different things at different times and I'm sure there is a percentage of BB users who would benefit from 8-16GB storage. I just think it's probably a much smaller percentage than those who use their BBs for actions would DON'T require so much storage memory.
    Therefore, it wouldn't make economic sense for RIM to bother putting anything more on their devices, statistically...unless we want the Bold(or any forthcoming BB device) to be as expensive a "toy" as the IPhone.

Anyway, I hope you're right about the Bold being compatible with SDHC...I agree it wouldn't make much sense for it NOT to be...but it just seems like they would make sure to specify that on the spec sheets.
    Oh well...hopefully just a textual oversight on their part.

Finally, I don't know if its a formatting difference or maybe movies/tv episodes take up WAY more space than I imagine them to...but I currently have 14 full length albums on my card(just can't imagine NEEDING more than this since I change them out fairly frequently), 228 jpegs,(all a minimum of 50kb, some as large as 200kb), a couple of short cartoons and comedy clips(optimized for BB, of course), and about 50 custom ringtones...and still have a little under 2GB of free space.
    I'll just chalk THAT up to me being ultra-obsessive and weird, I guess.
    Anyway...gah I can't wait for the Bold....
    Last edited by antiandy; 05-25-08 at 05:02 PM.
    05-25-08 04:59 PM
    I hate how RIM drops the ball on internal memory. The 1GB should be there to hold apps as well, this is BS.
    05-25-08 07:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD