When i go to Memory Cleaning it says its Enabled but I cant disable it. It doesnt give me that option. Also theres like a red dot next to enabled. Is this happening to anyone else?
    06-21-09 02:28 PM
    Are you on a corporate phone? Sounds like an IT policy is in place.
    06-21-09 02:55 PM
    That red padlock icon means the Memory Cleaner is enabled by your IT policy. If your phone was given to you by your employer, you won't be able to disable it. If you bought the phone used, the previous owner should have had the IT policy removed before selling it. In that case, you can remove the policy by using the procedure described in this thread: Removing an IT Policy from a BlackBerry phone

If you use this procedure on a phone that legitimately has an IT policy, the policy will just be pushed back the next time you log into the Enterprise, and your removal of it will be detected.

If you bought a phone with an IT policy on it, you'll want to remove it, because it probably restricts other functions of the phone. But there is no need to disable the Memory Cleaner. It's harmless.
    06-21-09 02:58 PM
    I believe certain programs also take control of the memory cleaning option. I am not on a corporate phone and mine is locked. I believe from what I've read WorldMate Live enables and locks the option. I have it installed and the memory cleaning option is enabled and locked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-09 04:29 PM
    Sorry for the question but what does the memory cleaner actually do?
    06-21-09 04:48 PM
    It periodically deletes the contents of these databases:
    Address Book Cache
    Certificate Search
    Certificate Status Manager
    Clipboard
    Content Protection Cache
    Encrypted Messages
    Key Store
    PGP Key Search

The default settings clear the databases when the device is holstered, and after 5 minutes of inactivity.

06-21-09 04:53 PM
    Yeah i bought the phone off craigs list, im gonna have to delete the IT policy, thank you.
    06-21-09 04:54 PM
    Thank you JeffH. I have now enabled mine
    06-21-09 04:56 PM
    Hey Jeff, what is address book cache anyway?
    06-21-09 05:17 PM
    I load up Crackutil and it says file access denied and then it just stays at Retrieving OS Version...
    06-21-09 05:20 PM
    I disabled the content protection and now the red dot is gone and everything i can access now. Did I fix it?
    06-21-09 05:26 PM
    Hey Jeff, what is address book cache anyway?
    I'm not sure. The Memory Cleaner function is described in the PGP Support Package Version 4.5 Security Technical Overview, which you can download from the BlackBerry site. Here's an excerpt from what it says about the Memory Cleaner:
    The BlackBerry device automatically turns on the feature for secure garbage collection when the PGP Support Package for BlackBerry devices is installed and the private key of the user is on the BlackBerry device. When feature for secure garbage collection is turned on, the BlackBerry device performs the following actions:
    � overwrites the memory reclaimed by the standard garbage collection process with zeroes
    � periodically runs the memory cleaner application, which tells BlackBerry device applications to clear any caches and make available the memory associated with unused, sensitive application data
    � automatically overwrites the memory that the memory cleaner application makes available when it runs
    The memory cleaner application is designed to delete unreferenced or cached decrypted content from the BlackBerry device, including content from the PGP application, PGP key store, content protection cache, address book cache, PGP key search, and BlackBerry device clipboard.
    You can set the memory cleaning application to run automatically when the
    � user synchronizes the BlackBerry device with the computer
    � user locks the BlackBerry device
    � BlackBerry device locks after a specified amount of idle time
    � user changes the time or time zone on the BlackBerry device
    06-21-09 08:21 PM
    I disabled the content protection and now the red dot is gone and everything i can access now. Did I fix it?
    Yes, if the Red Padlock icon is gone, you can disable the Memory Cleaner. But why do you want to?
    06-21-09 08:23 PM
    there's no real need to turn it off. it's not harmful for your phone or anything
    06-21-09 11:02 PM
    Yes, if the Red Padlock icon is gone, you can disable the Memory Cleaner. But why do you want to?
    I dont wanna disable it, i dont want my phone to have the IT thing. I mean does it matter or not if I have that. I got this phone off of someone from craigslist.
    06-22-09 01:35 AM
    as long as the IT policy is gone you're phone will function as it is supposed to.
    06-22-09 01:48 AM
    as long as the IT policy is gone you're phone will function as it is supposed to.
    how do i know if its gone?
    06-22-09 01:49 AM
    the red padlock will be gone from the option of memory cleaning
    06-22-09 05:40 AM
    how do i know if its gone?
    In Options / Status, type BUYR. You won't see the letters appear on the screen, but when you type it, two additional lines will be added to the Status screen. In my case, I see:
    Data Usage: IT Policy Enabled
    Voice Usage: IT Policy Enabled.

If you see "IT Policy Enabled," then you have not gotten rid of the policy. I don't know what you will get if you don't have a policy, or have the policy disabled, since I've never used a BlackBerry that was not on BES. Please post what you see.
    06-22-09 05:47 AM
    In Options / Status, type BUYR. You won't see the letters appear on the screen, but when you type it, two additional lines will be added to the Status screen. In my case, I see:
    Data Usage: IT Policy Enabled
    Voice Usage: IT Policy Enabled.

If you see "IT Policy Enabled," then you have not gotten rid of the policy. I don't know what you will get if you don't have a policy, or have the policy disabled, since I've never used a BlackBerry that was not on BES. Please post what you see.
    Interesting...

I see "exceeded 250k" and "exceeded 60 minutes" respectively.

06-22-09 06:30 AM
    Mine says the same thing

Data: exceeded 250k
    Voice: exceeded 60 minutes
    06-22-09 03:41 PM
    What does the IT policy mean any way?
    06-22-09 09:56 PM
    An IT Policy is the way a company enforces its IT Security rules on BlackBerry's that have inside-the-firewall access. These devices have BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) accounts instead of the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) accounts that consumer users typically have.

BES users get over the air synching of their Calendar, Email, Address Book, Tasks, and Memos. In return, they accept that the company can monitor all their email, log their phone calls, and in general control every aspect of their phone: whether they can install apps, use the Media Card or Bluetooth, or access the internet, for example.

IT Policies can be very strict to benign. Mine, for example, only requires me to use a password and Content Protection and sets the max timeout to 30 minutes.

If you have an employer-provided phone, and attempt to remove the IT Policy, your attempt will be detected the next time you attempt to log on to the company servers, the IT policy will be pushed back on your phone, and you could face severe disciplinary consequences for violating security.

From the BUYR result you got, it appears you have succesfully removed your IT policy. That's not easy. RIM designed them NOT to be removable by users.
    06-22-09 10:06 PM
    Yeah like i said i bought this off craiglist from someone and just noticed that little red dot. I didn't do anything except just turned off content protection and the red dot was gone. Does that need to be on or dont matter? ( content protection )
    06-22-09 11:25 PM
    Here's what the User Guide has to say about Content Protection:
    Content protection is designed to encrypt your BlackBerry� device data. When content protection is turned on, your device uses a private key to encrypt data as it is stored on the device, including data that your device receives when it is locked. Your device decrypts data as you access it. You can set content protection to include or exclude your contacts. If you turn on content protection for contacts and you receive a call when the device is locked, the caller name does not appear on the screen.
    When you lock your device, an open lock indicator appears in the device status section of the screen to indicate that your device is deleting a copy of the private key from the temporary device memory. A lock indicator appears when the device has deleted the key.

Since Content Protection is turned on by my IT Policy, I can't turn it off to see if there is any noticeable performance effect from the encryption / decryption process. If you'd like to test it, I'd be interested in knowing your results. As long as you don't lose your BlackBerry, it won't matter if the data is encrypted or not.
    06-23-09 06:08 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD