Two weeks into owning the 9700 and I have one (1) single issue and that is the
    placement of the memory card.

The one that came with the phone was difficult to remove and I wound up
    snapping it in half. No big deal, it was only a 2gb card and I was replacing it
    with my 16gb.

Fortunately I backed up the entire card to the PC before putting it in the phone.

Today, I needed to give a set of files to a friend (non BB user) so I had to put
    the card in a reader and SOB! I snapped the 16gb in half also. Yes, I know how
    to insert and remove the card properly. There was just no give.

I will never understand the idiotic rationale for this position for the card.

The upshot. I called the AT&T store local to me and they were going to give
    me two (2) 16gb cards and a $25.00 credit. I declined the credit seeing as
    the went above and beyond by replacing a 2gb card with a 16gb.
    04-18-10 02:42 PM
    That's weird, I can remove mine no problem, its alittle tight but I've taken it out a couple of times (even right Now I just tryed it) and it comes out fine, maybe a defect with your berry and the way they made the card holder?? Or maybe your just too strong lol,
    And the position is pretty good I think, aren't other berry behind the battery? Which means a battery pull to take out the media card, at least this way you can remove and install the card without pulling the battery

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by daniel_martin10; 04-18-10 at 02:53 PM.
    04-18-10 02:50 PM
    Wow, that's amazing the store did that!

I know it's snug (to say the least) but that's better than loose and/or under the battery.

How'd you snap it, AG? I mean you're pretty much pushing down & out against housing until it's loose, right?

04-18-10 02:55 PM
    Lol, I know what you mean. Tweezers and 15 mins later it finally was removed.
    04-18-10 02:58 PM
    How about just putting the blasted thing on one of the side rails and be done
    with it.

I definitely agree that is is better than having it behind the battery. And since I
    lost nothing from my card I'm not upset, I just find the position rather, well, dumb.
    04-18-10 03:00 PM
    I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who had issues with this. I felt like completely inept when I tried to remove it.
    04-18-10 03:01 PM
    Wow, that's amazing the store did that!
    I was surprised myself

How'd you snap it, AG? I mean you're pretty much pushing down & out against housing until it's loose, right?
    Precisely. Getting to release wasn't the issue. Getting it out was.

Lol, I know what you mean. Tweezers and 15 mins later it finally was removed.
    Going to keep a pair on hand for the future

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who had issues with this. I felt like completely inept when I tried to remove it.
    Thank you so much. The first one I said "oh well" the second I was like "can I really
    be THIS stupid"
    04-18-10 03:04 PM
    Guess I'll be keeping mines in forever..
    04-18-10 03:08 PM
    I was so PO'd when I tried to get the card out to put my 8Gb with all my stuff on it. It literally took me 15 minutes, and I finally had to use a pair of small needle-nosed pliers. It was stuck big time, wouldnt compress the spring that SUPPOSED to eject it and it wouldnt come out. I was hot to say the least. That being said, this is the ONLY issue Ive had with an otherwise superb device.
    04-18-10 03:12 PM
    I must have gotten a good one because as soon as I click it in it pops right out.

Actually, to transfer files I just use the BB Data cable. You can then connect your BB to any PC as a Mass Storage Device via USB. The you can drag and drop whatever you ned to.

This was the little SD card does not even need to be touched.
    04-18-10 03:14 PM
    Guess I'll be keeping mines in forever..
    Same here brother. If this fool does not get a smartphone and needs help
    with a spreadsheet again he is going to have to settle for email.
    04-18-10 03:14 PM
    The problem was you probably tried to pull it straight out, and didn't realize that it's spring loaded. You needed to push it in for it to pop out. I tried pulling it out before I realized this.
    04-18-10 03:29 PM
    The problem was you probably tried to pull it straight out, and didn't realize that it's spring loaded. You needed to push it in for it to pop out. I tried pulling it out before I realized this.
    Did you not read the post where I said I know how to properly install and
    remove the card.

In case you didn't your supposition is incorrect. I DID NOT try to pull it straight
    out because I KNEW it was "spring loaded" and has to be pushed in to
    release the spring and thereby facilitate the removal of the card.

I don't mean to seem vituperative however this ain't my first rodeo.
    04-18-10 03:34 PM
    I've had mine in and out like 100 times (music and no usb cable)

Its easy, patients grasshoppers patients.

My trick is once it loose and slid all the way up, I grab the sides ( I do have big hands as well) and pull it out from there!

Good luck!!

04-18-10 03:37 PM
    Hey man, I noticed this yesterday too. I just bought the phone yesterday and replacing the card that was already in it. You'd think it would be simple because it snaps in and out, but it was very difficult to get it out. I got really nervous about breaking it...but everything was okay, haha.
    04-18-10 03:41 PM
    Is grasshopper an overworked medic or did you mean "patience" (Sorry couldn't resist )

My trick is once it loose and slid all the way up, I grab the sides ( I do have big hands as well) and pull it out from there!
    I'll keep that in mind... and tweezers on standby
    04-18-10 03:43 PM
    Hey man, I noticed this yesterday too. I just bought the phone yesterday and replacing the card that was already in it. You'd think it would be simple because it snaps in and out, but it was very difficult to get it out. I got really nervous about breaking it...but everything was okay, haha.
    Oh great, go ahead and rub it in
    04-18-10 03:45 PM
    Patience :P

Wasn't paying attention lol!

But seriously try picking it out by holding the sides of the card!

04-18-10 03:52 PM
    Patience :P

Wasn't paying attention lol!

But seriously try picking it out by holding the sides of the card!
    Will do. Heading over to the carrier store so I'll post back how it goes when
    I get back.

Thanks for the ideas folks. and for putting up with my rant
    04-18-10 03:57 PM
    I've had mine in and out like 100 times (music and no usb cable)

Good luck!!

LOL. I hear ya. But the problem is you have to have something to grasp, mine was IN and stayed in, nothing to get hold of. Maybe its loosened up a bit, but Ive got an 8GB in and its only half full, so maybe I wont have to take it out anymore-I HOPE.
    04-18-10 05:26 PM
    I've heard a lot of people say this, but have yet to have any difficulty with it myself. All of the Micro-SD cards I've ever used have a slight ridge at the end, so I pop the spring, and put a fingernail on the ridge and slide it right out.

Are they not all like this?
    04-18-10 05:50 PM
    I've heard a lot of people say this, but have yet to have any difficulty with it myself. All of the Micro-SD cards I've ever used have a slight ridge at the end, so I pop the spring, and put a fingernail on the ridge and slide it right out.

Are they not all like this?
    They are all like this, if they didn't have that ridge you would never get them out of the adapter.

The setup for the card slot on the 9700 may be a slight pita but its a major improvement over older BBs. The 8820, and the 83xx for example, it was under the battery and the little metal cover that held the card down was the biggest pita and it rarely ever worked like it was supposed to.
    04-18-10 05:58 PM
    It can be tricky to get it out. Especially if you use down force pressure trying to slide it out with your finger.
    After a few times mine became easier to get out.
    The main thing I notice is I had to scrape it out like removing a bee sting from your arm properly.
    So I use light pressure and my finger nail now. No more worries. They could make the plastic area around it a little more wider or slippery. I think they fear the card flying away when you pop the spring. My nokia had that problem. The spring would shoot the card clear across a room if I wasn't careful. Sd cards are so easy to loose

04-18-10 06:16 PM
    Two weeks into owning the 9700 and I have one (1) single issue and that is the
    placement of the memory card.

The one that came with the phone was difficult to remove and I wound up
    snapping it in half. No big deal, it was only a 2gb card and I was replacing it
    with my 16gb.

Fortunately I backed up the entire card to the PC before putting it in the phone.

Today, I needed to give a set of files to a friend (non BB user) so I had to put
    the card in a reader and SOB! I snapped the 16gb in half also. Yes, I know how
    to insert and remove the card properly. There was just no give.

I will never understand the idiotic rationale for this position for the card.

The upshot. I called the AT&T store local to me and they were going to give
    me two (2) 16gb cards and a $25.00 credit. I declined the credit seeing as
    the went above and beyond by replacing a 2gb card with a 16gb.
    I broke my 2gb card when I first purchased my 9700, until I realized that the SD card slot was spring loaded. Push in to pop out, push in to lock.

04-18-10 06:18 PM
    Breaking an SD card in half is purely user error. Seriously.

04-18-10 06:49 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD