I thought the 2gb came "straight out", I started getting pissed then I realized I should push it in, and then I had to wiggle it slightly for it to come out. 9000's was easier, but I didn't like how it wouldn't go in easily.
    04-18-10 07:10 PM
    Breaking an SD card in half is purely user error. Seriously.
    BS!. It is a design flaw, plain and simple. The thing is just in one of the worst
    possible places. There is more than enough real estate on both side rails to
    accommodate the memory card.

At any rate, I now have two new cards and life is good
    04-18-10 07:29 PM
    nothing is as idiotic as the way the 8330 has a door that shuts over it.
    Wait I take that back, the treo had an exposed sd card....nevermind.
    04-18-10 07:34 PM
    Even if its user error to break the sd card the bold2 should have been designed in a way to accommodate that user error. People are clumsy and not too bright. It is the job of the designer to make systems and devices that take that into consideration.
    Most people aren't going to figure out a trick to take out the card. Why should they ? Also is a trick because it requires some dexterity.
    66% of people do not read their cell phone manuals. That's why some people had to "figure out the card is a push lock"
    If they read the manual they would know from get go its a push lock and not break cards. At the same time the phone should be designed to accomodate the non readers.
    Indeed it reminds me of the blinking 12:00 problem of VCRs in the 1980s

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-10 08:48 PM
    Here's what I found out (accidentally) to take out the memory card easily ever after (yes ever after ;D). The first few times it's real tough to take it out it's like in a break-in period. The key is do not be too much persistent (a good amount persistence is still required though) and use like your nail to scratch the memory card out with additional forefinger and thumb action (but not too much because it'll break the memory card in two). If it won't come out, push the memory card in and push it out again. Rinse and repeat (probably takes a about 5 mins or more) until the whole mechanism becomes a little bit loose so removing memory card in the future will be just easy.

This method works on my Bold 9700 and 3 others that belong to my friends.
    Last edited by fusioncal; 04-18-10 at 09:02 PM.
    04-18-10 08:59 PM
    If they read the manual they would know from get go its a push lock and not break cards.
    Which I always do prior to using anything. Trust me, I knew how the thing was
    supposed to go in and come out. It just didn't.
    04-18-10 09:40 PM
    I think the 81xx and the 83xx design is pretty good. Mounted in the side rail, with a cover to keep crap out. My pearl has had the memory card in and out countless times. still a bit sticky to get out, but I don't fear damaging it. Nor do I worry about the cover breaking or wearing out.... why didn't RIM keep this up? Was it due to different design of the internal hardware that they changed it?
    04-18-10 10:43 PM
    once mine is free, i push it down against the phone and use that friction to pull it out. man, i remember the first 8k times i tried to get it out ... i was sure it was stuck forever.
    04-19-10 12:34 AM
    Lol, I know what you mean. Tweezers and 15 mins later it finally was removed.
    That is how I take mine out when I need to. I tried and tried to remove the card when I first got my 9700, but the only way it would come out was with a pair of tweezers. It just would not slide past the edge of the plastic where it sits.

IMO, RIM had it right with the Pearl Flip. The memory card slot is located on the outside of the phone, and is extremely easy to remove & replace.
    04-19-10 01:25 AM
    That is how I take mine out when I need to. I tried and tried to remove the card when I first got my 9700, but the only way it would come out was with a pair of tweezers. It just would not slide past the edge of the plastic where it sits.

IMO, RIM had it right with the Pearl Flip. The memory card slot is located on the outside of the phone, and is extremely easy to remove & replace.
    That was one thing I liked about the Bold 9000. Why that got changed is
    completely beyond me.
    04-19-10 02:05 AM
    I had the same issue has you, but only the first time I removed it. After I put my 16gb in it and never did it again. I remove it to do almost all my data transferts cause my SD card reader is 100x faster than my usb connection.
    04-19-10 02:13 AM
    ive never had a problem with it. its relatively easy for me to put in and out. now the slot on my old 9000 is another story.. that was horrible.
    04-19-10 03:54 AM
    I've had good luck with mine, but I certainly see that there could be an issue removing the memory card. The finger nail method seems to work best for me.
    04-19-10 04:14 AM

I don't use memory card.
    My sister took my bold's memory card and using it in Nokia N95.
    Once I was planning to buy one but,
    I didn't felt the need for it.

Things are fine without memory card.
    Mostly I use it for text and email purpose
    And its my primary phone

Last edited by infinus; 04-19-10 at 05:13 AM.
    04-19-10 04:58 AM
    I like where its located...now. I felt like a ******** monkey trying to get the original 2gb card out though. Give it a few more cycles (click in, click out) and it will "loosen" up a little. Now I can pop my 8gb in and out easily (way to many dirty thoughts ran through my head just now) As far as the placement rational, I can see one good reason why they picked that spot: There isn't any space to put it anywhere else that I can see. Not with that BBB (Big Beautiful Battery) under the cover. The side rail/bezel design that they've switched to would barely have space for a card slot, let alone a cover to protect it. That would probably decrease what little structural integrity it has now and they'd get complaints like I'm sure they got with the 9000 about the door breaking and cards being stuck or broken. I still can't believe they gave you two 16gb cards and offered $25

04-19-10 05:05 AM
    I have the habit of removing the memory cards when transferring files from my com and have no problem with it at all. Perhaps being a little more gentle and using the fingernail might help
    04-19-10 11:15 AM
    That was one thing I liked about the Bold 9000. Why that got changed is
    completely beyond me.
    I also purchased my 9700 yesterday. I was saying the exact same thing while I was trying to remove the memory card. I am a previous 9000 user and the placement of the memory card is a pain on the 9700.
    04-19-10 12:37 PM
    Two weeks into owning the 9700 and I have one (1) single issue and that is the placement of the memory card.

The one that came with the phone was difficult to remove and I wound up
    snapping it in half. No big deal, it was only a 2gb card and I was replacing it
    with my 16gb.

Fortunately I backed up the entire card to the PC before putting it in the phone.

Today, I needed to give a set of files to a friend (non BB user) so I had to put
    the card in a reader and SOB! I snapped the 16gb in half also. Yes, I know how
    to insert and remove the card properly. There was just no give.

I will never understand the idiotic rationale for this position for the card.

The upshot. I called the AT&T store local to me and they were going to give
    me two (2) 16gb cards and a $25.00 credit. I declined the credit seeing as
    the went above and beyond by replacing a 2gb card with a 16gb.
    It's not a problem. It's not an oversight. It's a feature!

RIM is all about security, right? If you try to steal somebody's micro SDHC in a hurry you're more than likely going to break it. Card unusable, no data compromised. Problem solved

In all seriousness the cards are in a tight spot. The only phone I've seen do this right is Nokia where you have two slots on the side of the phone, one for the SIM and one for the memory card. Couldn't be easier popping them out. The micro SDHC cards are hot swappable anyway, why should you have to power off the phone?

With RIM you have to pull the battery and then use tools to get the cards out. Not fun. Not sure why they did that but I guess it's just limitations of the way they laid out the mobo, or maybe even my joke was a consideration. I really don't know.

Two thumbs up to ATT for offering to replace your cards. You should have taken them up on the offer. If enough people complain and it starts costing the carriers maybe RIM will look into it. If it doesn't cost anybody money but the consumer, it's not likely to show up on their radar.
    04-19-10 01:02 PM
    @ F0nage:

Aside from your security analysis putting a smile on my face I agree with the rest of
    your points.

Oh, and I did take the 2 cards. I only declined the $25.00 credit. I didn't / don't
    think that was warranted in this case.
    04-19-10 01:13 PM
    Cool, two thumbs up for you as well then And congrats on your Bold!
    04-19-10 01:20 PM
    Cool, two thumbs up for you as well then And congrats on your Bold!
    Thanks pal. I will have to change my profile soon. I have barely used the E71x
    since getting this bad boy.
    04-19-10 02:26 PM
    BS!. It is a design flaw, plain and simple. The thing is just in one of the worst
    possible places. There is more than enough real estate on both side rails to
    accommodate the memory card.

At any rate, I now have two new cards and life is good
    Didn't I tell you?? DIDN'T I TELL YOU??? They really want us to look stupid
    in front of people trying to take the stupid card in and out!!
    04-19-10 05:51 PM
    I pefer the placement of the mem. Card on the 9000.

04-19-10 06:23 PM
    AG, with 13,000 + posts, you're obviously kinda new to blackberries. So, you probably did not realize that RIM has a gnome engineer on staff that does this design work. He has very long fingernails on very tiny fingers....he does all the human engineering, lol. (which is why, in spite of years of wanting to, I never owned a BB until the Storm came out. I simply cannot handle such tiny buttons and what not).
    04-19-10 06:28 PM
    You should have seen the reps at the AT&T Store trying to get the 2GB memory card out of my 9700 so I could put the 8GB that I had snatched out of my mothers S1 in it. In the end *I* was the one who pulled the 2GB out of the phone, although that was a month ago and I can't tell you how I did it... I just pulled my 8GB out to see how hard it was and when I gripped it from the sides, it slid out as if i had dropped a little bit of oil in there...
    04-19-10 07:48 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD