So while I was finishing up installing my usual apps onto my new 9700 today, I decided to swap out the current 2GB memory card and replace it with my other micro SD card. What seemed like an easy removal of the card went into disaster. I don't know if it's just me but I find removing the memory card difficult and annoying to take out. After trying to use a pair of tweezers and my finger nails, I ended up pressing down with my thumb forcefully trying to slide it out, ending up cracking my new 2GB card in half. I got it out but I was pretty pissed off thinking great, what a friggin waste.

Did anyone else here feel the same frustration when swapping out their memory cards?
    11-18-09 09:52 PM
    Very easy, push it in and it releases. Then comes right out. Maybe you were trying to just pull it straight out.
    11-18-09 09:54 PM
    So while I was finishing up installing my usual apps onto my new 9700 today, I decided to swap out the current 2GB memory card and replace it with my other micro SD card. What seemed like an easy removal of the card went into disaster. I don't know if it's just me but I find removing the memory card difficult and annoying to take out. After trying to use a pair of tweezers and my finger nails, I ended up pressing down with my thumb forcefully trying to slide it out, ending up cracking my new 2GB card in half. I got it out but I was pretty pissed off thinking great, what a friggin waste.

Did anyone else here feel the same frustration when swapping out their memory cards?
    I completely agree! It took me a good 5-10 mins trying to fish the thing out. I dunno how other people have been doing it, but so far, I haven't really found a better way. Sorry to hear about your 2GB card. I didn't break mine, it was just a pain in the @$$ to fish out.
    11-18-09 09:57 PM
    I completely agree! It took me a good 5-10 mins trying to fish the thing out. I dunno how other people have been doing it, but so far, I haven't really found a better way. Sorry to hear about your 2GB card. I didn't break mine, it was just a pain in the @$$ to fish out.
    I'm glad someone else feels the same sentiment as I do. I thought this was a flaw on my phone and felt disappointed that I was going to have to return this for a swap.

I'm just afraid when I load in an 8GB or 16GB, I might end up cracking it in half as well.

The design on this is not straight forward and should be looked into.
    11-18-09 10:06 PM
    Mine was hard at first to remove, I didn't know to push in first. Now it seems pretty easy.
    11-18-09 10:06 PM
    Yep, its like it is spring loaded. Push in to release, push in again to lock it in, the easiest card removal/add system BB has ever had
    11-18-09 10:09 PM
    Very difficult for me to remove as well. Thankfully now that my 16 GB card is in there, I'm not taking it out again.
    11-18-09 10:10 PM
    it was very difficult for me. it took time but i got it. i have no intention in removing my card that is now in there.
    11-18-09 10:24 PM
    I had to use tweezers to get mine out...Kept getting stuck against a piece of the plastic case...Had to lift up and pull over it
    11-18-09 10:25 PM
    I'm dreading the day I have to replace my microSD card.
    11-18-09 10:37 PM
    It is quite difficult. I posted something like this on Monday asking how to remove a stuck card. People didn't seem to understand that it wad STUCK. They thought I didn't understand how it worked lol. I ended up taking it back to the tmo store and the sales guy was even like "oh it's easy, you just push to release it and...that's funny...it doesn't seem to want to come out..."

::facepalm::

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 10:44 PM
    It was a lady canine to get out!

11-18-09 11:43 PM
    Anyone else having this issue as well?
    11-19-09 07:39 AM
    LOL @zee921

Had the same problem too. Tried tweezers, not much luck, until I smoothed out the little plastic piece that is right in the frickin middle of the area to remove the sd card. Why would engineers design it that way? So, I scraped the plastic piece a little to make it smoother, and the card slipped out, FINALLY.
    11-19-09 07:50 AM
    ya mine was extremely difficult to remove the first time as well. Took like 15 minutes and going at it with paperclips and tweezers. After getting it out the first time its a breeze now putting them in and out
    11-19-09 07:54 AM
    I had issues as well.... Took a while, I didn't break anything just worked it with my thumb....and it finally released...kind of like a lip that holds it after you release the spring clip...it should just slide out....

11-19-09 08:10 AM
    yes it's a very bad design. My 9700's card was very difficult to remove, pretty much impossible with your fingers alone. I had to use a paper clip to push on the little raised edge of the card and it finally popped out. My Wife's 9700's card was much easier to remove.
    11-19-09 08:35 AM
    yes it's a very bad design. My 9700's card was very difficult to remove, pretty much impossible with your fingers alone. I had to use a paper clip to push on the little raised edge of the card and it finally popped out. My Wife's 9700's card was much easier to remove.
    This finally worked for me too. Tweezers didn't, just take a paperclip and push on the lip of the card.
    11-19-09 10:10 AM
    This finally worked for me too. Tweezers didn't, just take a paperclip and push on the lip of the card.
    I'll be sure to carry paper clips with me now when I want to switch my memory card.. LOL. There has got to be a better way than this alternative!
    11-19-09 10:23 AM
    I too was flipping out until I realized it was spring loaded. Duh...
    11-19-09 11:10 AM
    lol you guys are funny. Even though it is spring loaded and the memory card was fully out, it did give me a little difficulty cause of that little tab that prevents it from sliding out. I did manage to get it out pretty quickly (in a min or so) so no complain really.
    11-19-09 11:28 AM
    I had this issue. And then I just tried harder. Sucks for the person that cracked theres in half. I don't know how that could have happened. Maybe RIM should reimburse you in some way? The design is flawed I have to admit, or maybe just some are like that. At least there isn't any other issues about thie phone...so far so good.
    11-21-09 01:33 AM

Shot you all a quick video on how to do it!
    11-21-09 01:41 AM
    After I did it once or twice it became ridiculously easy on the old 9700. My replacement 9700 had an memory card that was a lot easier to take out for the first time.
    11-21-09 01:50 AM
    Same here, I think it is a defect in some of the units.

Last edited by crimsonking; 11-21-09 at 01:59 AM.
    11-21-09 01:56 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD