Hello!

I recently checked my media storage capacity and I have 1.8 GB of space to use. Only 1% is being used for music, 1% for documents and a whopping 98% for "other". I have no pictures on my phone and no apps. What could this "other" be?

Note: I have 9 songs on my phone currently. A week ago I had 259 but I deleted them to start over and now I can't put any more than 9 on the phone. I've taken the battery off, shut down and all that jazz. What's going on?
    05-22-10 07:13 PM
    Make sure in media/camera options it is set up to save to the media card folder and not to the device otherwise the space will fill very quickly...if that is correct try formatting your card...look at the properties of one of your pictures and it will tell you where exactly they are being saved as well

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-10 08:15 PM
    The pictures are being saved to the media card, not the device.
    05-22-10 09:58 PM
    Taken any videos? Use fileScout lite or enable mass media mode so yo can see what is taking up all the space...

05-22-10 10:39 PM
    It could be a big hidden garbage file. If you formatted the card and put it back in, It should be reclaimed.

OR since the BB saves apps to the memory card (backups I presume), Show them by pressing Menu, select Show Hidden Files/folders.

*UNIX WARNING* You'll see the following directories on the device's folder tree:

/dev (developer)
    /home (the home directory as with any Linux/Unix distribution)
    /applications
    /appdata
    /system (or /sys)
    /samples
    /tmp (temporary files folder)

On the memory card, "other" will be located (on the device's reader) at /sdcard/blackberry/app_world (Blackberry App World temp install folder), which is safe to delete.

Hope this helps.

05-22-10 10:55 PM
    I used my bold allot to capture video, as it is DVD quality. The results are very large egp files with 128 or 160 kb/s audio streams and AVI or MP4 video stream. That results in large files. Most video converters can handle and convert these formats. Some editors handle them directly.

Video is probably what's using up all of the available space.

05-22-10 11:00 PM
    There are no pictures or videos saved to my phone. I deleted everything in an attempt to free up memory. Rootbrian - I don't know have a menu button on my phone. If that's the 2nd button in from the left, when I press it, it takes me to my applications (that were there when I bought the phone), like setup, slacker, etc. It doesn't give me an option to select show hidden files or folders. Would that be in setup or something like that?

I'm not tech-savvy, obviously.
    05-23-10 10:24 AM
    Okay, I'm noticing something. I opened BB Desktop Manager and the only thing listed under Media is Music. There is no Media Manager. Why might that be?
    05-23-10 10:41 AM
    So under Summary, I selected Device Options and Media, and the Free Space listed here says that I have 1.7 GB available to me. But under Media - Music, it says I'm using all of my space, even after I deleted the 9 songs I have in Music. There is an exclamation point with a message saying exceeded memory limit. Maybe I should take my phone into T-Mobile?
    05-23-10 10:50 AM
    There are no pictures or videos saved to my phone. I deleted everything in an attempt to free up memory. Rootbrian - I don't know have a menu button on my phone. If that's the 2nd button in from the left, when I press it, it takes me to my applications (that were there when I bought the phone), like setup, slacker, etc. It doesn't give me an option to select show hidden files or folders. Would that be in setup or something like that?

I'm not tech-savvy, obviously.
    The menu button on your blackbrrry, the button with the 7 dots on it forming the official blackberry logo. Go into Media, then press the.blackberry menu button select then select Explore. Do this on your phone, not on your computer.

05-23-10 05:08 PM
    Hm. When I do this, it does not list explore as an option.
    05-24-10 09:56 PM
    Hm. When I do this, it does not list explore as an option.
    You'll have to download bbfilescout from app world. From there, you'll be able to delete stuff off your memory card.

05-24-10 09:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD