I just had this message to pop up. I was in the middle of a text message and it just froze up on me. I pulled the battery and when I put it back, that's what it said. Any ideas on what is going on?

Thanks!
    12-03-09 12:17 AM
    This happened to me when I tried to put my old media card (from my curve) into my 9700. I managed to snap the card in half trying to make it work. For my friend however, it was a matter of reformatting the card.

Just try to back up whatever you may have on there!
    12-03-09 01:55 PM
    something similar happened to me, too. i just reformatted the card.
    12-03-09 04:33 PM
    Seems like this is becoming a common issue. I think the MicroSD card must be formatted to be used properly with the 9700. I didn't format the one that came with the phone but I should have. Looking to get a 16gb soon and that'll be the first thing I do. Don't want to fill up GBs worth of stuff only for it to go corrupt because I didn't format it to begin with.
    12-03-09 04:52 PM
    refromat the card, then use media sync and you should be good to go
    12-03-09 05:00 PM
    had that too I just pulled it out and put it back in and it works fine now
    12-03-09 05:45 PM
    i have a similar problem when i take the card in and out too much, go to options> memory> press the menu button and select repair, you should them be able to access everything without hooking up to a computer
    12-03-09 06:30 PM
    I had this problem too. It happened a few times. All I did was remove and then reinsert the card. I'm sure you've already tried that right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-09 06:32 PM
    Well it seems I need to revive this thread. I have a 4GB Kingston micro card that was working in my Tour for about six months. My Tour endured some physical damage so Sprint's insurance company Assurion sent me a refurb. When I inserted my card in the refurb I got the media card cannot be accessed due to fatal errors message.

My card is now unreadable on my PC and cannot be repaired by the options/memory menu. That process fails as well.

Is my card totally fried or is there some way to get it back to life?

Thanks all...
    03-16-10 10:07 PM
    Well it seems I need to revive this thread. I have a 4GB Kingston micro card that was working in my Tour for about six months. My Tour endured some physical damage so Sprint's insurance company Assurion sent me a refurb. When I inserted my card in the refurb I got the media card cannot be accessed due to fatal errors message.

My card is now unreadable on my PC and cannot be repaired by the options/memory menu. That process fails as well.

Thanks all...
    I just had the same exact thing happen. have you had any luck?
    05-06-10 12:30 PM
    My blackberry curve (8830) had been recently updated with the 5.0 o/s. When my phone freezed I took out my battery to restart it, and when I restarted my phone it gave me the fatal error message. I did this for hours and I tried everything to almost brake my phone. Idk what to do. I reformatted it, repaired and it keeps saying fatal error. Idk what to do. I am about to give up this blackberry for an iphone!
    05-19-10 03:40 AM

Thanks all...

I'm having the same issue...Someone tried to send me a video via bluetooth and when I decided to play it ...the message was "media card cannot be accessed due to fatal errors" I tried to repair as well...and that failed too.

Does anyone have a way to save the data stored on the media card? I have a 2G Kingston Micro...tried to use an adapter to connect it to my computer but that isn't working either

Is it fried? for good and lost all media?
    05-23-10 07:36 PM
    I wish i knew the answer to this because this is happening to me too. My card is not reading anywhere I just want to get the pics that i have in it. HELP!!!!
    05-24-10 10:38 PM
    This happened to me a few months ago; it wasnt just one memory card, it was all 3 so i assume its a bbb issue.

Anyway, the reformatting doesnt always work. With my main 16gb card i just kept reformatting, then putting it into my bb to see if it worked. Eventually worked about the 6th time of reformatting. Havent had a problem since.

I have noticed that this nearly always happens after people have done a battery pull.
    05-25-10 06:30 AM
    I just had this problem but taking the card in and then out and doing a battery pull fixed it for me.

I have had my BB for a couple of weeks now. I have to say I'm amazed at the number of little bugs, issues and problems I've come across to date. For example, I had errors installing the desktop software, errors installing new firmware to BB, and I still can't get the thing to synch with my Windows PC via bluetooth.

Never had any of these problems with Apple I have to say.

Generally speaking I like the BB so far but it's a shame I have had so many issues so far - not a great start!
    06-03-10 03:57 AM

Thanks all...
    I had that happen to me allot. The partition is deleted off the card when you select Repair and it fails to repair. You need to repartition it again. Use the one in windows or use GParted under a linux system. It should fix it.

kingofkrunck likes this.
    06-03-10 06:22 AM
    This seems to be a major bug that RIM needs to address as it is in the BB OS and not the hardware. The card is being formatted for XFS (in my case) or the partition is being messed up or deleted during Repair.

OS 5.0.x needs a number of fixes to be at 5.1 before it even REACHES 6.0 if you know what I mean,

06-03-10 06:29 AM
    If the memory card is readable in your PC, back up the data first and then format the memory card in FAT not FAT32. This will save your day
    06-28-10 11:32 AM
    I am having this problem right now on my Bold 9700. I assumed it was a bad microSD card, so I stopped and bought a new 4GB microSD-- put it in the 9700 and I get the same error that I got with the older card.

Both cards are readable in my laptop, and I have backed up the data. This appears to be a hardware issue.
    07-02-10 05:34 PM

Thanks all...
    I had this on my old 8900 and I could see everything on the card with desktop manager. I copied the files to my laptop, then had to reformat the card. It worked fine after that. Hopefully, this will work for you too. Good luck!
    07-04-10 12:50 PM
    For what it's worth I never saw this error until the trackball on my BB Tour 9630 was replaced at the local Sprint store. Now I cannot access any stored media on the BB or my iMac, so yes very frustrating. I'm not going to waste too much time on it as I'll be transitioning to the Android platform very soon.
    07-08-10 03:55 PM
    I just had this problem but taking the card in and then out and doing a battery pull fixed it for me.
    This worked - many thanks!!!

I have had my BB for a couple of weeks now. I have to say I'm amazed at the number of little bugs, issues and problems I've come across to date. For example, I had errors installing the desktop software, errors installing new firmware to BB, and I still can't get the thing to synch with my Windows PC via bluetooth.

Never had any of these problems with Apple I have to say.

Generally speaking I like the BB so far but it's a shame I have had so many issues so far - not a great start!
    I hear ya. There have been many niggling issues that really, there's no excuse for. And the BB "voodoo" you have to go through to get them fixed (e.g., pull the battery, hold down this button while putting the battery back in, now quick while the red light is on start pushing this... etc.) is a bit much. Worst of all, this info must often be passed between fellow users because RIM doesn't provide a simple listing of what the error messages/LED blink patterns mean and an official recommendation of what to do.

Case in point: the whole reason I found this thread. My first BB (purchased brand-new about 3 months ago) had the battery run dead because I forgot to bring my charger... and apparently that was too much to handle and the phone is now completely dead too. (WTH?? ) No lights, no screen, absolutely dead. Tried many BB voodoo rituals to get it going - no such luck. So I got a warranty replacement - refurbished, of course - *sigh* - and got this "fatal errors" message when I popped in the microSD. More voodoo just to move a simple storage media from the same model phone. Sheesh.

Not a great start, indeed. This was my first BB purchase and I can already say it will be my last.
    08-18-10 01:22 PM
    Everyone here is in the right area.. but wrong idea.

I went to Rogers today, and bought a brand new 2gb card because well the 64mb bit is totally ******* useless...

With my brand new card... I got the message "Media card cannot be accessed due to fatal error." Well I tried your reformatting and battery pull to no avail.

I fixed the problem, here's what I believe happened.. We all know the trick to get .jar and .jad files through the card? I think this will eventually defrag the card. All you have to do is this...

Connect the media card to your PC via the USB micro reader jack. Right click > properties > options > tools > Defragment now.

That should be the option under error-checking. While that is happening, I think a battery pull is necessary, but not mandatory.

My 64mb always worked even in my old LG phone, and did when I was using it in my BB, I only got the message after I connected my new micro SD. Which ****ed both.. After that procedure both were repaired and now working fine... Good luck all.. I have yet to see ANY other way this can be fixed on any site/forum! Hope it helps!
    10-28-10 08:00 PM
    I had that happen to me allot. The partition is deleted off the card when you select Repair and it fails to repair. You need to repartition it again. Use the one in windows or use GParted under a linux system. It should fix it.

Explain this further please..I ask this because, even when I plug my phone into my pc.. it still says the error, so how would I be able to use windows?? and a linux system? not too tech savy, so could you please break this down?
    11-06-10 02:14 AM
    Explain this further please..I ask this because, even when I plug my phone into my pc.. it still says the error, so how would I be able to use windows?? and a linux system? not too tech savy, so could you please break this down?
    GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

The directions to install it on a USB stick are provided, you can use unetbootin to do that, which is located here UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads. Download the windows version, the one to the top-left with the windows logo.

It will display only your USB disk or stick, and it won't format it either. If you have a memory card reader, use that. Also note, you'll need to use the SD card adapter that came with the microSD card.

11-06-10 02:28 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD